Nissan, we need 50kW/h packs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

Nissan,

To get from Chicago to St. Louis on Quick Chargers, we need a 50kW/h pack, which will assure in a no climate control 60-80 degree day we can make the 145 miles from Chicago to Bloomington, then the 150 from there to St. Louis.

Even if the extra range is an additional 6K or more, please make it an option!

after 4 years, yes, it's definitely time for more batteries!

If Nissan doesn't get out ahead of this, someone else will...

GaslessInSeattle said:
after 4 years, yes, it's definitely time for more batteries!

If Nissan doesn't get out ahead of this, someone else will...

and who :?: :?: :?: :?:

after 100.000 sold leafs there is no aftermarket battery available.
only a expensive solution from enginer.is enginer still alive?

Nissan are listening and have already stated they might offer different pack sizes with Leaf II, but My guess is they will pull a fast one and offer the same battery as now for the same price and a 40 kwh as an option for about 6k or 7K USD. Perhaps more.

I feel Leaf II in 2017 should come with a minimum of 30 kwh usable as standard which should give a real 90-100 miles at about 100 Kph.

Battery tech has moved on but not much unfortunately but hopefully a little more by 2017.

o00scorpion00o said:
Nissan are listening and have already stated they might offer different pack sizes with Leaf II, but My guess is they will pull a fast one and offer the same battery as now for the same price and a 40 kwh as an option for about 6k or 7K USD. Perhaps more.

I feel Leaf II in 2017 should come with a minimum of 30 kwh usable as standard which should give a real 90-100 miles at about 100 Kph.

Battery tech has moved on but not much unfortunately but hopefully a little more by 2017.

Doubtful at that price point.

Yep ... at the Leaf price point, and even a bit above, there's simply no other auto company around to light a fire under Nissan with a longer range vehicle. All we can do is sit on our hands and hope the purpose of the recent survey was to clue Nissan in that folks want more range.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tesla gets $10,000 for 25kWh option and you want 30kWh for $6,000?

I am all for it but the option is going to be a bit more than you think.

smkettner said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Tesla also use cheaper cells don't they ? Nissan's use automotive spicific which are a lot more expensive.

I wonder is it also a case where Nissan are locked into contract with NEC which fixes the price for the duration ? Perhaps the next battery with whoever w the supplier be cheaper and maybe they could indeed offer 30 kwh for the same price as now. 30 usable kwh that is. That should be the absolute minimum for the Gen II.

Then again no other car manufacturer is offering more than 24 ish that is affordable or mass produced and isn't a Californian what do they call it ? compliance car ? I bet only when Nissan offer 30 kwh so too will others.

Tesla is a big car. That may be the direction Nissan needs to go too if they want to pack in more batteries. The market would probably react favorably to such an offering; face it, a lot of people prefer bigger cars, and the conventional wisdom of making an EV a small car has been turned on its head.

I think adding a removable 10 hp propane powered range extender engine is a far better use of money and space. Use a clutch and differential mechanism to directly drive the rear wheels. You could mount it in that dead space under the trunk. remove a panel from the trunk and take it out when you don't need it.

smkettner said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Wait, isn't that for a +25 kWh option?

For the Leaf to get a 30 kWh or 40 kWh option, we are actually talking about +6 kWh or +16 kWh option. If Tesla can offer 25 kWh extra for $10,000 more, 6 or 16 kWh could be expected to cost less?

Forget about the Range Extender motor driving the rear tires, that will take too much engineering. It's far much easier to just have the Range Extender click on and charge the Batteries when the SOC goes down to 10%

johnrhansen said:
I think adding a removable 10 hp propane powered range extender engine is a far better use of money and space. Use a clutch and differential mechanism to directly drive the rear wheels. You could mount it in that dead space under the trunk. remove a panel from the trunk and take it out when you don't need it.

For 30kW more, 10K might sound steep, but would say that is still "market", until more large number EV's are in the market.

A 50kW Leaf for 40K (for an S/SV) would still get plenty of leasee's especially if you can get 10K back in your state+fed refund. 50kW (total, not usable) would allow you to get close to that 200 mile mark if driven very gently.

hill said:
Yep ... at the Leaf price point, and even a bit above, there's simply no other auto company around to light a fire under Nissan with a longer range vehicle. All we can do is sit on our hands and hope the purpose of the recent survey was to clue Nissan in that folks want more range.

Yep, the only game in town, generally speaking. Tesla *might* light the fire with Model E but given the status of Model X, I'd say Nissan's got 2 or 3 years without any serious competition for LEAF.

o00scorpion00o said:
Tesla also use cheaper cells don't they ? Nissan's use automotive spicific which are a lot more expensive.

From what I've read, Tesla's cells are proprietary at this point; they just happen to still be putting them into the 18650 form factor. I.e., they are no longer using "laptop batteries".

My honest suprise is that none of the other car makers are seriously in the race (GM and BMW with their gas assist vehicles are at least in numbers growing. Ford, can't tell if they are serious or not).

I don't know if they think Fuel Cell will take off, or whether Gas is going to going through another glut, like in 1999, as US production is going through the roof.

I am kind of surprised the petro station owners haven't starting mobilizing yet. They in many ways have the most to lose.

Back