Nissan to offer loaner cars for long distance driving, maybe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoustonFlier

Second survey to ask this question (copied directly from it):

"If Nissan offered a program to Nissan LEAF customers that allowed them to swap their LEAF for another Nissan vehicle for longer trips at no cost, would you utilize this program?"

Doesn't mean they will, but seems serious consideration.

I would use it however since I need to occasionally go long distance.

(Edit, quote box added)

When you say "swap", do you mean that literally? For example, you get to use the loaner and the Nissan dealership gets to use your Leaf. If so, what legitimate uses of your Leaf would be acceptable? Personal transportation by staff, loaner to another customer, or demonstration vehicle?

I hope somebody is listening.
I suggested this idea to:
My Nissan Dealer
Enterprise rent-a-car
Hertz
No IDEA what I was talking about. :?
All close-by organizations, with closed minds.

There are Zip cars in cities that seem to be a viable program, so why not standby ICE? Drive in, plug in, drive out in a pre-approved Altima or Versa.

We have 2 cars, a Leaf and a Smart, and neither one can get to Nashville reliably, from Knoxville. I used to rent a car, but you can't on short notice or after hours. So now I own a Ranger P/U for the purpose- but an ad hoc vehicle exchange program would be really practical.

LKK said:
When you say "swap", do you mean that literally? For example, you get to use the loaner and the Nissan dealership gets to use your Leaf. If so, what legitimate uses of your Leaf would be acceptable? Personal transportation by staff, loaner to another customer, or demonstration vehicle?
That was their wording, but I think it would be a mistake to read much into it. Certainly NO use by the dealership of my personal car would be acceptable to me, although I responded favorably to the concept.

I am game. Take reading of my odometer and better be same when I get back. They would not use due to ins liability. I would report as stolen.

Ian B

Woah... misleading thread title. I think it needs a question mark at the beginning, at minimum.

The loaner/rental program was already discussed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10071&p=229407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The first time it was asked was discussed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8685&p=193309&hilit=survey#p193309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Just because they're floating the idea doesn't mean they will.

MrIanB said:
I am game. Take reading of my odometer and better be same when I get back. They would not use due to ins liability. I would report as stolen.

Ian B
Speaking of which has there ever been an instance of a Leaf being stolen? I have not heard of one here.

LTLFTcomposite said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B
Speaking of which has there ever been an instance of a Leaf being stolen? I have not heard of one here.

Lol on that one. May have to do a google search on it.

Ian B

UPDATE, you are right none stolen, yet.

LTLFTcomposite said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B
I remember seeing this personal account on the Canadian Leaf owner Facebook page:

Dave Denton said:
Click to open

surfingslovak said:
I remember seeing this personal account on the Canadian Leaf owner Facebook page:
Makes sense it would be a joyrider. There can't be any market for the parts, although that could change as batteries age. Hot climates could be a hot market for hot batteries from cool climates :D
Sorry, the topic was free loaners...

garypq said:
We have 2 cars, a Leaf and a Smart, and neither one can get to Nashville reliably, from Knoxville.

Why can't you go from Knoxville to Nashville in the Leaf?

If you take I-40 there are 3 Level 3 chargers along the way, but for the 70 mile stretch from Cookeville to the east edge of Nashville's Cracker Barrel level 3 charger you could stop in Lebanon to top off for a little while.

Ok, just checked the Blink map and it seems 2 of the 3 you need on I40 are down (that would be a deal breaker), But there seems to be a level 3 about every 30 miles if you take the southern route down I75 then I24 west...

I live near Manchester TN & there are 3 level 3 charging stations between here & Nashville (about a 75 mile drive)

I'm just trying to understand your point as I'm intending to get my LEAF soon & I'd like to drive all over the state.

Philip

philipscoggins said:
Why can't you go from Knoxville to Nashville in the Leaf?

If you take I-40 there are 3 Level 3 chargers along the way, but for the 70 mile stretch from Cookeville to the east edge of Nashville's Cracker Barrel level 3 charger you could stop in Lebanon to top off for a little while.

Ok, just checked the Blink map and it seems 2 of the 3 you need on I40 are down (that would be a deal breaker), But there seems to be a level 3 about every 30 miles if you take the southern route down I75 then I24 west...

I live near Manchester TN & there are 3 level 3 charging stations between here & Nashville (about a 75 mile drive)

I'm just trying to understand your point as I'm intending to get my LEAF soon & I'd like to drive all over the state.

Philip
Phillip,

Let me caution you against trying to drive a Leaf from Nashville to Knoxville (~170 miles). My experience up here in Seattle, is that a daytrip from Seattle to Portland (~170 miles one way) is not something that I want to repeat for one very good reason - HEAT.

Driving down was no problem. After 4 quick charges, battery temp was still in the center of the gauge. I spent half a day shopping, wandering, letting the battery cool, then headed home. Halfway home, Battery temp was high and rising higher. It got so hot (10th bar) that I lost all of my regen bubbles and some of my traction bubbles - the pack was limiting power output to protect itself. After that one daytrip, my usually stable GID reading of 281 dropped by about 20 GIDs and started to be all over the place. Today, months later, I'm finally seeing GIDs at 270, but still not as high as I had every day before that daytrip.

It only takes a quick look thru the Phoenix thread to make you wonder about the effects of battery heat. Couple this with the desire to make the battery last to 80% in 5 years at a minimum (prefer the 70% in 10 years) for my daily commute and I just can't justify taking the risk of heating up my battery thru multiple quick charges on a daytrip.

I won't tell you it can't be done - it can. But the tradeoff's may make it less appealing than you think:

Drive Slower - Lower power heats the battery less. I am one who believes that if you can't drive the speed limit, then you have the wrong tool for the job.

Take Back Roads - Back roads tend to have lower speed limits. See Drive Slower.

Spend The Night - Letting the battery pack cool overnight can make you ready for the heat of a few more quickcharges and keep you out of the danger zone. Spending the night negates the benefits of a daytrip - saving the cost of a motel.

Travel Off Season - Not driving in the high ambient temps of Summer will increase how quickly your battery will shed heat and be ready for more. But there is a very good reason a lot of trips are taken in the summer - better weather!

Lease - I debated long and hard about leasing vs. purchasing. On the one hand, leasing offers protection from the unknowns of new technology. On the other hand, the crushing of the EV1 was still in my mind. In the end, it came down to money - my dealer wouldn't offer any attractive rates for leasing, or purchasing (even from my credit union), and I had to bring in my own financing to get a reasonable rate (hence the purchase).

Good Luck no matter how you want to approach it.

Hi Phillip,

+1 on Firewood's reply. I want to emphasize the element of time to recharge. It's a special day trip where you can spend a few hours recharging. Not a deal breaker in itself, but should be considered just to manage your expectations.

As I've said in other threads, my wife and I love the car. However, her commute is only about 20 miles round trip and she takes the bus a few days each week. I'm retired so I use it the other days to run errands. In the year we've owned it, we've taken it to Seattle once (about 65 miles), but we were planning to spend the night and so just used the 120 plug of our hosts to recharge to 100%. I'd really like to see the loaner plan. We've only rented three or four times in the first year we've had the car so it wouldn't be a huge savings to us, but I think it's a good PR slant.

New guy here, not certain about poles, but I'd be against a swap. Who would be paying for our use of the loaner, higher MSRP and higher service costs? Count me as "no."

@rdhauser & FairwoodRed

Thanks for the advise! I hadn't thought about the cumulative effect of multiple quick charges.

I live halfway between Nashville & Chattanooga & plan to day trip to both (about 75miles away). With the quick chargers (and level 2s) along the interstate I don't fear running out of charge, but hadn't thought about pack heat. Guess that's what this forum's for huh?

Philip

My dealer said that every dealer was planning on having a rental program. They would give discounts to LEAF owners, but it would basically just be a rental car dealership.

cwerdna said:
Woah... misleading thread title. I think it needs a question mark at the beginning, at minimum.

The loaner/rental program was already discussed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10071&p=229407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The first time it was asked was discussed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8685&p=193309&hilit=survey#p193309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Just because they're floating the idea doesn't mean they will.
It would be nice if the OP edited the title. It's still misleading. A question mark at the end would be nice...

ztanos said:
My dealer said that every dealer was planning on having a rental program. They would give discounts to LEAF owners, but it would basically just be a rental car dealership.
From a local business, I have a special deal with the local Hertz: $20/day for what they have availble. Have only used it once when the LEAF was getting ceramic tint and they gave me a 4X4 Jeep--yikes.

I would be interested but it would depend on convenience of use and cost.

Ideally if one sufficiently comparable ICE car (say, a gasoline hybrid) gets delivered to my location 24/7/365 and for free say up to twice a month - sign me up - I would get a Leaf and get rid of one of my 2 ICE vehicles.

I try to schedule my long distance trips on the weekends. Enterprise rent-a-car has a weekend deal going for $9.99 a day, two day minimum, with 200 miles free and then 10 cents for each additional mile over 200.

Back