Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
garygid said:
Will you be able to open your EVSE when you get it back, or will it be glued shut or "forbidden"?

As part of your deal with them, are they providing you with any information about what they found and/or what they have done?

Will you have it at the Gathering on the 19th Feb. in Santa Ana?

I have an informal NDA with the supplier, so I would be disinclined to abuse that trust. Besides, I wouldn't really know what I was looking at anyway - anything of a technical nature that has been shared with me is already above my pay grade. Besides, all I really care about is that it works. :lol:

I wasn't planning to come to the gathering on the 19th. However, if you're free and want to come over to the house with your handy-dandy measuring equipment, to verify output, etc... I would be welcoming of the company!

Maybe someone should talk to Nissan about this non-spec operation,
before they get many more in the field that might need a recall?

J1772 spec in 5.6 (e. & f.)

EVDRIVER said:
Herm said:
Probably cheaper to reuse the case/J connector/cable and build new electronics.. de-potting boards is very labor intensive.
To reduce labor cost in this area a project is in the works to breed a carpenter ants that feeds on this material rather than wood. It's still in the developmental stage and they seem to only last one cycle unfortunately.
Good progress, but the wrong tool for the job. Re-run the tests with demolition ants - they're tougher. Or go with fire ants. (Keep an extinguisher handy, though.)
:lol:

I got my unit back, exactly one week from shipping it up north. Not had time to play with it much yet, other than plugging into both 120v and 240v outlets here at the office to see the pretty blue light come on. If I can find time today, I'll pull my car up to the dock and try charging, but I'm kind of snowed under today. Besides, I wanted to do at least an hour on each, to see what the performance ended up being, so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

The unit came with with a rather nice 110v adapter cord, customized to the specifications I had requested (for the 240v outlets we have here at work), and I may make some extras up at some point, to meet just about every circumstance I might find in the wild.

But I'm very happy with what I see thus far! Just wish I had my camera with me. Still, stay tuned for more reports as I use it over the next couple of days. :)

mwalsh said:
I got my unit back, exactly one week from shipping it up north. Not had time to play with it much yet, other than plugging into both 120v and 240v outlets here at the office to see the pretty blue light come on. If I can find time today, I'll pull my car up to the dock and try charging, but I'm kind of snowed under today. Besides, I wanted to do at least an hour on each, to see what the performance ended up being, so it may have to wait until tomorrow.

The unit came with with a rather nice 110v adapter cord, customized to the specifications I had requested (for the 240v outlets we have here at work), and I may make some extras up at some point, to meet just about every circumstance I might find in the wild.

But I'm very happy with what I see thus far! Just wish I had my camera with me. Still, stay tuned for more reports as I use it over the next couple of days. :)

You should get about 2.88kw on 240 unless your work is 208V.

For those curious there is a how to video on the 120/240 conversion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o30wacwdoc (this is NOT the correct Link)!

This is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2wvqw9JtY

In My Opinion:
I believe that one user intentionally posts more mis-information than any other single user.

Although he apparently thinks it is funny, intentional posting of misleading information is NOT appropriate behavior for this forum, in my opinion. He has a LOT of good to contribute, but now I rarely know if any post of his is serious or a joke.

I suspect that he might not tolerate it from a stranger, but we have to keep sorting it out.

Yes, it can be funny, but could/should be identified with at least a ":lol:" ( :lol: ) to avoid misleading unsuspecting folks and providing "fuel" to those who would quote these posts from "a prominent member of the MyNissanLeaf forum" to discredit us.

Again, just IMO, and ...
he DOES have a lot of good info and experience to contribute. :)

Does this modification involve replacing the transformer or did they change the input cable to 4 conductor and wire the existing transformer across a hot leg and neutral?

The L6-20P twist-lock (20-amp rated) has only 3 contacts, so these must be two Power (Line1 AND Line2 for 240v, or Line1/Line2 and Neutral for 120v) and one Ground.

So, they must have replaced the transformer. I thought they mentioned using a "universal" input AC to DC power supply.

garygid said:
In My Opinion:
I believe that EVDRIVER intentionally posts more mis-information than any other single user. Although he apparently thinks it is funny, intentional posting of misleading information is NOT appropriate behavior for this forum.

THIS IS INTOLERABLE!, we are doing serious work here trying to save the planet!!

ok still waiting for PICTURES.

how long is the 120 Volt "extension?" with the free plugins around my area, having the brick so close to the plug makes it tough to plug in a lot of places. if that 120 Volt adapter had a 3 foot lead on it, that would work out VERY well.

as far as "tongue in cheek" cmon, we all have to use "some" common sense. obvious is obvious and the best jokes is how long it takes the "ah ha!" to set in. longer than a minute usually creates a bad reaction simply because we are that way. the reception is when the "ah ha" moment happens within 5-10 seconds.

Herm said:
garygid said:
In My Opinion:
I believe that EVDRIVER intentionally posts more mis-information than any other single user. Although he apparently thinks it is funny, intentional posting of misleading information is NOT appropriate behavior for this forum.
THIS IS INTOLERABLE!, we are doing serious work here trying to save the planet!!
This must be payback for all the moderating complaints :roll:

A couple of preview pics for you. Notice that the "Ready" LED lamp on mine is now blue rather than the original green - possibly one of the components in mine that gave up during testing and needed to be replaced (remember though that my unit was a testing guinea-pig, and they took it up closer to 300v as a precautionary measure).

My pigtail is 4' in length, perfect for my needs. I'm not sure about going longer....you'll have to check with the vendor.

Once I've blown some charge off my full pack today, I'll do a little bit of charging on both 110v and 240v. Expect more later!

modded_EVSE.jpg

modded_EVSE2.jpg

EVDRIVER said:
As far as a diagram, I don't know any businesses that invest many days in a project and then publicly provide all the details of their work for a multitude of reasons.
Help me out here... I can just figure out $one$ $reason$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back