Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rainnw said:
I am not trying to set out any flame bait here regarding this "third party" or myself, but are there any other EE's that are just a tad bit skeptical about this? Don't get me wrong, I really want to believe in this mod.

But looking at pictures of a factory charger with some new power connectors wired up, and then statements like "oh, it won't run on 240VAC 'very long' before it blows up" and "just need to swap out a few parts, but don't know how much that will be" have got me a bit worried. Especially with no specifics eluding to this being just their 'secret sauce', when in reality, nobody in their right mind is going to want to de-pot and re-pot some high wattage electronics on their own, without fear of burning down houses/damaging property/shocking themselves/etc.

This is all compounded with the fact that in the name of japanese speed, cost efficiency, and globalization, would make much more sense for Nissan to make only one autoranging 50/60Hz, 90VAC-240VAC charger.

You don't just 'swap out a few magical parts' in a 120VAC only charger and suddenly double the wattage, pushing nearly 4 killowatts through it...unless that was the design from the start.

The Euro model could likely be modified with less work than a US model but they are not the same. Secondly the current is not being changed only the voltage and there are components that were designed with a specific voltage range besides the supply. It is possible to run for a while on 240 then possibly fail, even a compressor coming on in the same room would damage the unit when operating at 240. To increase the current to 16A at 120/240 would take a new processor/software as the pilot signal and GFI are software driven as well as duty cycles so simply adding a new 16A signal would not be safe.

1. What is the non-spec part of the stock L1 EVSE?

2. What components did you find, and their ratings?

3. A circuit diagram, at least as much as you know?

4. Any other helpful observations?

Thanks.

garygid said:
1. What is the non-spec part of the stock L1 EVSE?

2. What components did you find, and their ratings?

3. A circuit diagram, at least as much as you know?

4. Any other helpful observations?

Thanks.

There is not exactly a non-spec part but more an operational issue but it is not a safety issue, I don't want to make any claims on their unit build other than it is decently made. As far as a diagram, I don't know any businesses that invest many days in a project and then publicly provide all the details of their work for a multitude of reasons. I do like the locking features. Once the J connector is in the car and locked it can't be removed and cutting it to get the EVSE is a bit pointless since that is the most expensive part. It can be locked in two places, placed in the car, under the hood and locked, in the trunk, etc.

zujz37.jpg

foi07c.jpg

rainnw said:
This is all compounded with the fact that in the name of japanese speed, cost efficiency, and globalization, would make much more sense for Nissan to make only one autoranging 50/60Hz, 90VAC-240VAC charger.
IMHO, for Nissan not to provide a universally compatible cordset was a shortsighted mistake. Let's hope they rectify it someday. Surely it would make much more economical and practical sense to produce the same unit for use all over the planet, and simply wire on different plugs for the different countries' outlets.

Why didn't Nissan do that? Your guess is as good as mine. And speaking of my guess :) it is that they were fearful that owners in this country would circumvent the NEC "hard wired EVSE" code with a 240V adapter, attempt to plug into a --gasp!-- dangerous dryer outlet, fry themselves... and sue Nissan. Such liability paranoia seems overkill to me. I mean, if Winnebago owners can plug into 240V outlets at RV parks, and boat owners can plug into them at marinas, why can't EV owners? And if Tesla can provide a universal cordset, why can't Nissan?

Yanquetino said:
rainnw said:
IMHO, for Nissan not to provide a universally compatible cordset was a shortsighted mistake. Let's hope they rectify it someday. Surely it would make much more economical and practical sense to produce the same unit for use all over the planet, and simply wire on different plugs for the different countries' outlets.

Why didn't Nissan do that? Your guess is as good as mine. And speaking of my guess :) it is that they were fearful that owners in this country would circumvent the NEC "hard wired EVSE" code with a 240V adapter, attempt to plug into a --gasp!-- dangerous dryer outlet, fry themselves... and sue Nissan. Such liability paranoia seems overkill to me. I mean, if Winnebago owners can plug into 240V outlets at RV parks, and boat owners can plug into them at marinas, why can't EV owners? And if Tesla can provide a universal cordset, why can't Nissan?

I agree, however they also don't expect people to find 240 outlets when traveling in the car but rather charge stations. The type of plugs used on say RV parks and welders are not exactly safe since the spades can be exposed for small fingers.

EVDRIVER said:
The type of plugs used on say RV parks and welders are not exactly safe since the spades can be exposed for small fingers.
Yup: that's right. The prongs on 240V plugs can be downright dangerous, no question. Make me wonder what the statistics would show for RV owner fatalities while plugging in at campgrounds. And do you think it's a matter of time before a Tesla owner fries himself? I have long thought that in all such instances the owners need to use either a PowerGrip Plug or at least a Plug Dog.

Even still, seems to me that, if Nissan were to provide a cordset with only a standard 120V plug in this country, they shouldn't be held liable for mishaps with higher voltages. After all, their cordset won't plug into, say, a 14-50 outlet. If an enterprising risk taker wants to later jury rigs an adaptor to plug the unit into 240V... well, that risk is on his/her shoulders.

LOL. I know that's the public safety mentality these days, but my own opinion is that small fingers shouldn't be plugging in electric cars, ya know what I mean? :lol:

LOL! You guys. I was regaling others about my building an AC-DC adapter for my tape recorder, without actually using a transformer to get me from 240v to 12v AND using a metal headphone jack. Now that was only UK household current, so 13A, but it still tingled a tiny bit when I went to go plug the jack into the recorder! Ah, the innocence of youth! :D

I call FUD on the dangers of the 240v outlet connectors. If that concerned buy one with a cover.

1. Motor vehicle crashes 43,200
2. Falls 14,900
3. Poisoning by solids and liquids 8,600
4. Drowning 4,000
5. Fires and burns 3,700
6. Suffocation 3,300
7. Firearms 1,500
8. Poisoning by gases 700
9. Medical & Surgical Complications and Misadventures 500
10. Machinery 350

http://www.soyouwanna.com/soyouwanna-top-ten-causes-accidental-death-america-4008-full.html

wiki says about 550 electrocutions in 1991 in the US. It would seem to me far more dangerous to ride in the car.

So for those who don't already realize it, this is my L1 EVSE we modified here, and I am very much looking forward to getting it back and testing it over the next few days. :D

For those of you concerned about turn-around time....all told, my unit will have been away for just 7 days. Now I'm not saying that's how long it will take to modify any further units, but I think that's pretty good going considering mine had to be thoroughly examined before any reingineering could take place.

Will you be able to open your EVSE when you get it back, or will it be glued shut or "forbidden"?

As part of your deal with them, are they providing you with any information about what they found and/or what they have done?

Will you have it at the Gathering on the 19th Feb. in Santa Ana?

The Leaf EVSE doesn't meet official J1772-2010 spec because it still enables charge even without the presence of the diode. In reality this isn't a big deal, as the diode is designed to prevent power in the event of a low resistance short. Such a short could be caused by dropping the charge plug in a muddy puddle which just happens to have the resistance needed to trick the pilot into charge. The lack of a diode in this puddle would fail to start the charge if the EVSE met official spec. However, the GFCI protection would trip in any event thus rendering the hazard inert.

garygid said:
Will you be able to open your EVSE when you get it back, or will it be glued shut or "forbidden"?

As part of your deal with them, are they providing you with any information about what they found and/or what they have done?

Will you have it at the Gathering on the 19th Feb. in Santa Ana?

As Panasonic originally shipped it, the EVSE has been resealed from the weather. The user may open the unit but should there be an issue and the unit has been opened it would void the upgrade warranty and would be unsupported.

EVDRIVER said:
The Leaf EVSE doesn't meet official J1772-2010 spec because it still enables charge even without the presence of the diode. In reality this isn't a big deal, as the diode is designed to prevent power in the event of a low resistance short. Such a short could be caused by dropping the charge plug in a muddy puddle which just happens to have the resistance needed to trick the pilot into charge. The lack of a diode in this puddle would fail to start the charge if the EVSE met official spec. However, the GFCI protection would trip in any event thus rendering the hazard inert.
That's really interesting! Doesn't the J1772 document specifically call out the diode being required for this exact reason?!

I agree that it isn't a big deal, but when you have industry groups running around saying that J1772 is three laws safe ;), you would think they would cross their T's and dot their I's (or i's)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back