New ad by Exxon: subtle attack on EVs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

Just saw this ad airing on CBS today. It seems to be a subtle dig on vehicles that are not powered by their product.

After telling how amazingly long a smart phone would run if powered by a gallon of gasoline instead of a battery, it proceeds to the punchline:
"Because of gasoline's high energy density, your car doesn't have to carry as much fuel compared to other energy sources"

Screen captures follow (although it's hard to see in these reduced size pictures, those little green rectangles are batteries):

vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h06m34s92.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h06m45s195.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h07m10s208.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h07m21s54.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h07m27s118.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h07m35s191.png
vlcsnap-2013-12-26-22h07m45s52.png

I saw that. I'd like to see a battery, EV or solar company (basically, Elon Musk :)) run a commercial right after it that says,
Because of your gasoline engine's gross inefficiency at using petroleum, most of the energy that you pay for and carry around is wasted: it is effectively used to heat and pollute the air, rather than move you and your vehicle forward. Please move forward figuratively and technologically by purchasing an electric vehicle, and save petroleum for less wasteful products and purposes.
:shock:

Exxon sucks!

They should have watched this first:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfvw9uaXIPM[/youtube]

I saw that commercial and thought the same thing. Too bad for them, they could use their vast resources/money to instead be the first oil company to convert themselves to a true energy company. They would be in a great position to build up and profit from the clean air infrastructure. That LEAF video is great BTW.

nothing subtle about it.
they are by and for petroleum, and interested/focused on increasing exxon bookable reserves annually through exploration, exploitation, acquisition and aggressive behavior by all methods and means.
exxon, now exxon mobile, was and is a company that has run its own foreign policy in many parts of the world while both seeking help from the US state and defense departments, and thumbing its nose at the US foreign policy and national security concerns.
read Private Empire by Steve Coll.

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Empire-ExxonMobil-American-Power/dp/0143123548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a gallon of gasoline could run your phone for 3000 days.
that's the one i saw.
cause you would want to carry that round to run your phone?

the cartoon would be hilarious; all those folks carrying gallon cans with them into the elevator in the high rise to get to the office.
the throbbing and teaming minions filling the subways and busses with their brief cases and gallon cans, or pint jars.

nissan had it right with that advt showing all the office and dental tools running on ICEs.
f exxon.

thankyouOB said:
nothing subtle about it.

read Private Empire by Steve Coll.

http://www.amazon.com/Private-Empire-ExxonMobil-American-Power/dp/0143123548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just picked it up from the library. Thanks for the suggestion!

You'd use the gallon of gasoline to run a generator to charge a battery from which your mobile device could be charged...

But wait, aren't there better ways to charge a battery? :lol:

joewaters said:
Where do I pour the gasoline into my cell phone? And won't it smell terrible? I ask the same questions about my car.

I prefer the natural gas version: you eat beans and keep the phone in your back pocket, and it fuels itself.

LeftieBiker said:
I prefer the natural gas version: you eat beans and keep the phone in your back pocket, and it fuels itself.
Yeah, but I think the smell would get to me when I tried to use the phone... :)

johnr said:
Just saw this ad airing on CBS today. It seems to be a subtle dig on vehicles that are not powered by their product.
for those in the know it was about as subtle as a brick thrown at your head

FWIW: I saw on some TV while in some airport bar that one of the "big 3" US auto makers could be considering buying out TESLA, could this be some disinformation? or could it be possible?

I did not see the TV commercial, but there is also a full-page advertisement in the USA Today (news section, page 5A, December 27-29, 2013. My first thought was the advertisement shows at least one oil company (ExxonMobil) is concerned about electric cars. We have Nissan and Tesla to thank for making factory-built electric (gasoline-free) cars available around the world. Without their leadership and California's mandates, the other manufacturers would not even consider producing electric cars and there would be no need for the ExxonMobil advertisement.

Gerry

apvbguy said:
johnr said:
for those in the know it was about as subtle as a brick thrown at your head

FWIW: I saw on some TV while in some airport bar that one of the "big 3" US auto makers could be considering buying out TESLA, could this be some disinformation? or could it be possible?

I read an article today in autoblog http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/30/gm-buying-tesla-2014-analyst-prediction/ about GM buying Tesla. Bottom line... with Tesla stock trading at 100 times its earnings, this isn't likely to happen.

Back