Oil Companies Preemtive Strike The EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camasleaf

I rarely watch TV, but today it was suppose to be some freezing rain so I turn on the TV to see the weather. Just then an Exxon commercial was on saying that one gallon of gas can power a cell phone for 3000 days. It ended with something like "that is why your car has to carry less gasoline compared to other forms of energy". Did anybody else saw that commercial? What do you think, is it a preemptive strike against EV?

camasleaf said:
...an Exxon commercial was on saying that one gallon of gas can power a cell phone for 3000 days. It ended with something like "that is why your car has to carry less gasoline compared to other forms of energy".

Yeah, sounds great Exxon!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn__9hLJKAk[/youtube]

camasleaf said:
I rarely watch TV, but today it was suppose to be some freezing rain so I turn on the TV to see the weather. Just then an Exxon commercial was on saying that one gallon of gas can power a cell phone for 3000 days. It ended with something like "that is why your car has to carry less gasoline compared to other forms of energy". Did anybody else saw that commercial? What do you think, is it a preemptive strike against EV?

So if energy density is their selling angle.. then maybe we should have a commercial about uranium and how long a gram of it could power a cell phone.

So, a pint would last about a year? But that's still a lot for a phone, so 1/4 cup would last you we'll over a month. The noise of it would interfere with a call, but texting would be OK.

adric22 said:
camasleaf said:

So if energy density is their selling angle.. then maybe we should have a commercial about uranium and how long a gram of it could power a cell phone.

Or a uranium car. A UV?

adric22 said:

Or a gram of hydrogen for a fusion car.

TomT said:
I believe you are reading too much in to it...

camasleaf said:
What do you think, is it a preemptive strike against EV?

This. They have a product to sell and want to try to make it look appealing to their customers. I can't say for sure what their intent was, but I doubt it was a plot to attack EVs. If they wanted to attack EVs, I'd bet the ad would be more direct. Don't read too far into it.

I saw that add last night for the first time and the very first thought was very clever marketing. They are clearly trying to set the stage for comparative choices in fuels for going forward. This message could be drilled into people (no pun intended) over and over and once it sets in then marketing by fuel density will be yet another angle. In fact, the NG companies are doing the same type of ads. I would not be surprised if they successfully tested this and are now testing a broader champaign of distraction. This is smart, strategic, and targeted advertising!

Well, lets face it. That fuel density is what has kept gasoline a primary choice for powering cars for quite a long time. There's no getting around it.

adric22 said:
Well, lets face it. That fuel density is what has kept gasoline a primary choice for powering cars for quite a long time. There's no getting around it.
Fortunately we are quickly diluting it with ethanol.

gasoline has 166k BTU/Gallon
E85 only about 82k BTU/Gallon

We'll get there soon enough.

adric22 said:

True. Thanks to its gasoline's incredible energy density, cars can waste 80 percent of it and still function as transportation.

I'd say if they can afford to run all these silly ads... time to end all taxpayer subsidies for exploration and in general to oil companies. Nothing like creating profits from taxpayer dollars... and padding the executive chairs more.

Makes me sick the way we give them our dollars. Part of why I bought an EV.

I don't much like cable either so I watch free over the air TV, streaming services, and Blu Rays.

Everyone with an ICE should be using Ethanol!!!

All Electronic Fuel Injected cars can currently run on 50% Ethanol. Not only that, it will clean up the fuel tank, fuel lines, and engine. It could allow your engine to extend the life by up to 3 times. It will also increase your octane level, as Ethanol is 105 --- no longer need Premium Gas, just get half tank of regular, half tank of Ethanol.

The only difference between a Flex Fuel and Non-Flex Fuel is the computing capacity of the computer, would cost the auto maker an additional $50 or so.

If you decide to try this, start with 1 gal of Ethanol for the next fill-up. Then 2 gal, then 3 gal, etc. until you are at 50/50. This way the ethanol has time to clean your fuel system gradually and not clog up your fuel filter.

I have done this on 4 vehicles so far, even converted the Toyota Camry that my daughter now uses so it can run on 100% alcohol.

Prior to using ethanol, I started by using used veg-oil for my Mercedes diesel that I collected from restrauants. I did this from 2006 until this year when I sold my last Benz and got the Leaf. Now I am loving just plugging it in at night, and no more veg-oil spills to clean up.

UkrainianKozak said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Or a uranium car. A UV?

It's soo 50's...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool! The return of the "Steamer".

This uses a steam engine, but maybe it could be modified to a steam gen set. Fuel rods might last you a lifetime. You could get another unit to power the house, maybe steam heat too, a nice sauna, heat the pool . . .

EVDRIVER said:
I saw that add last night for the first time and the very first thought was very clever marketing. They are clearly trying to set the stage for comparative choices in fuels for going forward. This message could be drilled into people (no pun intended) over and over and once it sets in then marketing by fuel density will be yet another angle. In fact, the NG companies are doing the same type of ads. I would not be surprised if they successfully tested this and are now testing a broader champaign of distraction. This is smart, strategic, and targeted advertising!
+1
IMO this is the first step in influencing how people think. It sets oil up as the superior fuel, knowing they will be facing a number of competitors shortly. They are attempting to to position oil as a brand. The high energy content brand. Competing energy technologies will need to do the same thing; establish their brand as the best because...

-Electricity: Sustainable because of multi-fuel and green (solar, wind, etc) sources. Low cost. Environmentally friendly. Relatively easy to establish infrastructure, Safe.
-Natural gas: Plentiful domestic supply. Low cost. Environmentally friendly (but only when you cover up the costs of fracking)
-Gasoline: High energy content (range), Existing infrastructure, Familiar (it is the evil you know).

You will not hear anything about all the negatives; at least not from their promoters. I expect negative ad campaigns will follow - just like in politics. To me this just indicates that oil no longer owns the energy market and that real market competition is now just beginning.

ok Walmart, Dollar Store, etc. move over, Exxon wants to sit down!

it is still a question of value over substance. having a gas powered anything still requires me to go somewhere to get it. its not butane so i cant store it. and every time i refill my phone, how long will that gas smell linger?

so its all a trade off.

buy a $1 laundry basket... no sorry, gotta buy 3 of them because they are smaller and they last a year or less then buy 3 more or buy one basket for $12.99 (its big enough so one is enough) and in 10 years when it finally breaks, get another one.

if you dont understand this logic, just look at credit. EXACT same thing

Back