Natural Gas Vehicles to "Kill" Electric Cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ghtrider

A story from an email I received from "Green Chip Stocks":

Natural Gas Vehicles Will Kill the Electric Car
By Jeff Siegel | Monday, June 4th, 2012

He told me natural gas would eventually kill the electric car.

A cocky Wall Street analyst with an Ivy League education and a deep yellow tarnish on his forked tongue from years of silver spoon abuse made this bold declaration at a fund-raising lunch I attended in New York last week:

Nothing's cheaper than natural gas. You can run your car on it for half the price.

Forget electric cars. Nobody's buying electric cars when you can fill your tank with natural gas at $2.00 a gallon.

Despite the fact that this guy had about as much likability as Kim Jong Il in a Speedo, he was right about one thing: With a natural gas-powered car, you can fill your tank for about $2.00 a gallon.

But is that enough to...

Kill the Electric Car?

Although I'm a long-time supporter of electric vehicles, it would be irresponsible as an investor to ignore potential threats to this market.

Maybe that Wall Street nimrod had a point.

So for the sake of clarification, I've decided to take a closer look at the benefits of natural gas-powered vehicles to see if they are, in fact, enough to close the lid on electric car development.

The first benefit is fuel price.

The most recent EPA report of compressed natural gas (CNG) prices indicates $2.13 per equivalent gasoline gallon. In some parts of the country, that's half the price of 87 Octane.

Of course, natural gas won't be dirt cheap forever... but neither will gasoline.

Quite frankly, I suspect there will be a 40 to 50 percent cost advantage for a natural gas-powered car over a conventional gasoline-powered car for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement

Natural Gas Riches

This 1,000-mile-wide tract of U.S. land has created more billionaires than Apple and Google combined.

Learn why this piece of little-known real estate is so vital to American energy independence — and how it can catapult two stocks I've found by over 532%. Click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now how does this compare to electric vehicles?
This one can get tricky because the price of electricity by kWh varies depending on when you charge and where you charge.

In other words, if you live in Connecticut, you're probably paying about $0.17 per kWh, while those living in Wyoming are only paying $0.06. And typically, electricity will run you more if you're using it during peak hours.

For the sake of objectivity, I'll just refer to an analysis presented by Edmunds.com, which used an electricity rate of $0.11 per kWh (the national average) to figure this out.

Based on that $0.11 per kWh and using the popular all-electric Nissan LEAF as the sample, Edmunds shows it will cost about $3.74 to go 100 miles. Not bad.

So how does the natural gas-powered car stack up?

For this, we'll use the Honda CNG Civic as our sample. This is the primary natural gas-powered passenger vehicle available to consumers today. It delivers a fuel economy of about 31 mpg combined.

Based on the EPA's $2.13 per equivalent gasoline gallon, it'll run you about $6.88 to drive the same distance.

Looking only at fuel costs, the electric car definitely comes out ahead.

However, before you electric vehicle lovers get too excited, consider that an all-electric Nissan LEAF will run you about $28,000 (after the tax credit), while the Honda CNG Civic will run about $26,000 — with no tax credit.

That's not to say fuel savings can't change that balance a bit, but out of pocket, the CNG car is cheaper.

Performance

Natural gas tends to be less energy intensive than gasoline.

The Civic CNG car will give you less horsepower than the regular Civic, and it doesn't even come close to the torque you'll get with the LEAF — or any other electric car, for that matter.

That being said, I would argue that range limitations fall into the “performance” category, as well.

The bottom line is that I cannot take a long road trip in a LEAF. And for long road trips in the CNG Civic, you will have to make sure you have access to a CNG station at least every 220 miles (the conservative range for this particular vehicle).

Now, fueling infrastructure is certainly an issue for both electric cars and CNG passenger vehicles, though electric car infrastructure is expanding rapidly, particularly in the Pacific Northwest and throughout California.

Many of the new electric car charging stations are also being equipped with level-3 chargers that can charge a 45-kilowatt battery from 20% to 80% in less than 30 minutes.

This doesn't mean we won't also see rapid expansion of CNG stations as well, but for now, electric vehicle infrastructure is ahead of the game.

(Some of this may have to do with the simplicity of these chargers, though; it's much easier to connect a charger to the grid than it is to build a CNG fueling station.)

Electric cars also have a charging advantage in that nearly all can be charged at home. Plug it in at night and wake up in the morning to a fully-charged car.

If you have natural gas at your home, you can have a natural gas fueling station installed at your home, too. This is, however, a pricier option than a dedicated electric car charger.

When it comes to performance, it's mixed.

There's definitely less of a range anxiety issue with the CNG Civic, however, I think the actual driving performance in a LEAF would be superior. (For the sake of full disclosure, I have not actually driven the CNG Civic, so I'm merely going by reports.)

On the infrastructure end, electric cars have definitely taken the lead — so far.

That could change... But the convenience and ease of plugging in at home far outweighs installing a natural gas fueling station in your garage.

Advertisement

By 2015 there will be more than 1.3 million electric cars on the road...

And nearly every one of them will require lithium.
Most of it is expected to come from here:

And there's enough at this one spot to boost the value of this company's stock
by 3,000%. But don't take my word for it...

Click here and see the numbers for yourself!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the Winner Is...
Sorry to disappoint, but there is no winner or loser here. It really just boils down to driving habits, electricity prices, and personal preferences.

And let's be honest — although both can (and will) make steady gains in the market place, it'll be decades before electric vehicles or natural gas-powered passenger cars even make a dent in a market that continues to be dominated by gasoline and diesel. That's just the reality of it all.

Of course, I know that the next car I buy will be electric. It just works better for me...

I don't have any daily long commutes to worry about, and quite frankly, they're just fun to drive: great power, smooth rides, and the immense joy I get from knowing that I'll never have to pull into a gas station again.

That being said, as an investor, I see no real opportunities right now in the electric car space — except for Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA), which I was fortunate enough to pick up for a steal last summer.

Tesla's got a good thing going, and it's pretty much the only pure electric vehicle play (including all those battery plays), that I have any faith in over the long term.

But natural gas — forget about it!

With or without natural gas-powered passenger vehicles, natural gas-powered fleets, trucks, and buses are a reality.

I'll continue to load up on all those natural gas plays that are facilitating this unbelievable natural gas transition that's now under way. This one is my favorite.

To a new way of life and a new generation of wealth...

Jeff Siegel

@JeffSiegel on Twitter

Jeff is the co-founder and managing editor of Green Chip Stocks, an independent investment research service focusing primarily on alternative energy and organic & natural food markets. He has been a featured guest on Fox, CNBC, and Bloomberg Asia, and is the author of the best-selling book, Investing in Renewable Energy: Making Money on Green Chip Stocks. For more on Jeff, go to his editor's page.

I would love to see natural gas vehicles succeed. But I don't see them cutting too much into the market for electric cars. After all driving on natural gas is not much different than driving on gasoline. I don't really see much likelihood of seeing cars like the Tesla, Volt, or Leaf being made for that market segment. What I see being made in that segment are dirt cheap econo box cars and maybe some big trucks and SUVs.

Since I cannot purchase natural gas nearby, I don't think it is a viable option here. I suppose that could change in the future, but one of the big attractions of an electric vehicle is never having to stop for fuel. Natural gas doesn't offer that option for me.

A friend of mine was all amped up on getting a NG Civic with the idea of refueling at home on the cheap. As pointed out by folks here on MNL there are some pretty big drawbacks to that. It takes a bunch of electricity to power the home refueling pump (like maybe half of what you need to power a Leaf in the first place), installation is a lot more involved than an EVSE with special ventilation requirements, the compressors are noisy and wear out and need to be rebuilt every few years. Sounds like a big PITA.

Natural gas is not a good choice to convert millions of cars to.

Picture a parking garage with several hundred CNG vehicles in it. One "O" ring fails and a leak begins. One spark later, and you have fireballs a plenty. Parking garages are going to have to convert all areas that can trap gas? Not something I ever want to see parked in the sub garages under my work or home.

I drive a CNG powered vehicle where I work, and they do leak from time to time. Minor accidents can cause this, or just vibrations if the tanks are not secured well enough, which has been the case on several of our larger vehicles. Calling 911 for a fuel leak seems strange, but that is the protocol. Imagine what that will do to the call centers response time when more people are driving CNG vehicles.

I looked into buying a CNG Honda before the Leaf came out, and opted out. Too many downsides, not enough savings. If you are thinking about it, go drive by the fueling stations and ask yourself if you are happy with them - no attendant, no water or air, no bathroom, and in remote areas in case they explode - seriously. You will never see them in densly populated areas, limiting the ease of which you can refuel. If you have to drive 50 miles out of your way to refuel, what is the point?

In short - no threat at all to the EV market.

What do people need in a fuel for car ?
- Quick refueling
- Cheap
- Predictable Price
- Refueling station within reach
- One refueling will take you hundreds of miles

Currently, EVs have only the 2nd & 3rd from above. NG has 1st, 2nd and 5th from above. Gas (Oil) has 1st, 4th & 5th.

One thing to remember is that NG is already a very well established fuel in some countries for transportation - but mostly for fleets/taxis.

I agree. Even here in Charlotte, which is WAY behind other cities in installing public EVSE's, there's more EVSE's than CNG stations. There's a grand total of one, maybe two, CNG stations here, and none are close to me.
Caracalover said:
If you have to drive 50 miles out of your way to refuel, what is the point? In short - no threat at all to the EV market.

It has always seemed to me that substituting one fossil fuel with another is like giving up heroin for cocaine. Then there is the potentially harmful method of fracking to extract the natural gas. And when natural gas runs out, then what? It will, sooner or later. Just like petroleum.

Most ironic of all, a CNG vehicle produces nearly the same amount of greenhouse gases as an equivalent gasoline car. Here is the comparison listed on the EPA's site:

civic_cng.jpg

If we render those grams/mile as lbs. of GHG per 100 miles, we get:

Honda Civic: 76.55 lbs.
Honda Civic CNG: 76.07 lbs.

By comparison, if you use my GHG utility, you'll find that the Leaf produces an average of 50.71 lbs. per 100 miles. (In my area, 33.07 lbs., and in areas with purely coal-fired power plants, 72.77 lbs.)

Of course, those who charge their Leafs with solar produce zero emissions. You can't generate CNG on your roof.

As someone who designs, builds and operates CNG stations as part of my job, allow me to weigh in: I'm highly skeptical that natural gas cars will harm EV sales.

For one, the fuel costs are at least twice as much, as the story mentions. The cost of natural gas is also highly uncertain; right now we're in a glut, but environmental restrictions are starting to pile up as the public and politicians wake up to the harm being done and the US is expanding natural gas electrical generation at an impressive pace. It's also a limited resource as it stands now. This means supply is going to quickly be dwarfed by demand and prices will rise.

Not to say that electricity is immune to price hikes, but at least with electricity you have options; an electric car doesn't care where the volts come from whether it be coal, gas, wind, solar or anything else. This makes the cost of electricity inherently more stable (market manipulation by trading companies notwithstanding of course...) Plus if you got solar power at your direct disposal, you're basically set.

For two, CNG fueling infrastructure is still spotty. People complain about EV recharging infrastructure, but the reality is nearly every man-made structure in the country has electrical power and is therefore a potential fueling station. Even if it's just 12A L1. Convenient? Perhaps not, but it's there in a pinch.

Not every place has natural gas available, much less a CNG station.

And you want to talk about SAE vs CHAdeMO causing problems? LNG vs CNG is a logistical nightmare! LNG trucks from the midwest are not allowed through NYC's bridges and tunnels, so they have to unload outside the city and another truck takes them in.

In terms of roadside assistance, EVs and NGVs are about equal - if you run out of power you can't exactly take a can of electrons/CNG and pour it down a funnel. You either need a tow or a refueling truck to come by and help you out. Although a NGV can be refueled faster in this case.

Maintenance on a NVG is just as bad as any other ICEv, except you need a mechanic with special training and equipment for safety reasons. You can not, legally, take your NGV to any ol' garage for service for pretty much the same reasons Caracalover mentioned about parking garages - making repair shops code compliant is a pretty big deal. The tanks need to be inspected every 3 years/36K miles and replaced every 15 years/100K miles whether they pass inspection or not - and people wonder about an EV's resale value!

With respect to CNG stations in populated areas... we tend to put them in industrial/heavy commercial zones because that's where our customers are: bus and truck fleets. Ideally the station is build on their property so the vehicles are refueled slowly overnight, and provide publicly accessible dispensers as part of a deal with the property owner. A bit of a logistical headache but I'm reminded what it's worth every time I get stuck behind a school bus belching stinky black exhaust in my face. :/
=Smidge=

LTLFTcomposite said:
A friend of mine was all amped up on getting a NG Civic with the idea of refueling at home on the cheap. As pointed out by folks here on MNL there are some pretty big drawbacks to that. It takes a bunch of electricity to power the home refueling pump (like maybe half of what you need to power a Leaf in the first place), installation is a lot more involved than an EVSE with special ventilation requirements, the compressors are noisy and wear out and need to be rebuilt every few years. Sounds like a big PITA.
+1,

I had looked at NG Honda and looked like big PITA. I would far rather just replace the battery every decade.

I used to operate NG-powered (or maybe they were propane?) forklifts. There's an odorant mixed into the gas so that people can detect leaks. The odor is changed somewhat by combustion but as I recall it was still noticeable. Not horrible, but somewhat "icky". Do NG-powered cars have this "smelly" tendency?

IMO the fundamental reason EVs win these "trading tailpipes for smokestacks" arguments is the lack of efficiency in the automotive ICE. A gallon of gasoline supposedly contains 36kWh of energy, but gasoline powered cars don't get anywhere near the 148 MPG you would expect converting from the EV's 4.1 miles/kWh. Natural gas burned in an ICE in a car won't be much better from an efficiency standpoint.

Natural gas is an important component in the energy landscape, but rather than pumping it into pressurized tanks in cars it's probably a better to burn it in high-efficiency gas turbine power plants where much more of the heat energy can be captured, rather than wasting so much of it out the tailpipe and radiator. There are some clever things people are playing with like replacing the alternator in a car with a gadget that produces electric power from waste exhaust heat, but stuff like that looks like a losing battle. Converting fossil fuel to mechanical energy efficiently takes more equipment, complexity and maintenance than is practical in a car. The EV enables you to outsource all that nonsense.

fuel cells burning liquid fuels can bypass the traditional efficiency limits of internal combustion engines.. so perhaps we will get near those famous 150mpg cars one day.

smkettner said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
+1,

I had looked at NG Honda and looked like big PITA. I would far rather just replace the battery every decade.
Same here. Plus it looked too expensive, even with subsidies.

My wife has a 2005 Civic GX. It has been driven over 130k miles. With a ~230 mile range and the CNG stations in the Los Angeles basin, it is a capable choice for trips to Santa Barbara, San Diego, Bakersfield and Palm Desert. It has been relatively maintenance free and the fuel cost typically is ~20% below regular gasoline prices. The recommendation for the fuel tank is an inspection every 3 years with replacement after 15 years.

Almost installed a home fueling station. I am glad I didn't based on what has been written and said since. We are also fortunate to have stations that are close to us and not far out of our way.

That said, the Leaf is the first choice for all trips even at the extremes of its range.

I have driven various vehicles over the years including hybrids, CNG and electric. My hybrids have been various Prius' and a 2 seat Honda Insight, My CNG vehicles have been a Honda GX, various Chevrolet Cavaliers and Chevrolet Vans. My electrics have been lead acid and NiMH Chevrolet S10-E's, a Rav4 EV and a LEAF. I currently own a 2011 Prius, a CNG Cavalier and a LEAF. I have home refueling for the Cavalier and of course, the LEAF. On a fuel cost basis, the electrics always come in cheapest per mile, followed by the CNG vehicles and the most expensive being the Prius. Each vehicle has it's advantages and disadvantages during different drive cycles. In the case of the CNG vehicle this includes cost of compression (electrical and maintenance). If I didn't home refuel and instead refueled at a commercial station, the Prius sometimes could be a little less cost to operate then the Cavalier. Total cost of operation, insurance, maintenance and resale cost show the Cavalier's as hands down winners. They are by far the cheapest to insure and have had low maintenance costs. Because I bought several before the latest runup in fuel prices, I sold each Cavalier for more then I paid for them. In the case of the Civic GX and the RAV 4 EV, I sold both of those when the HOV lanes in California were closed off to hybrids and made money on both vehicles. If I were to sell the 2011 Prius, I would not make money on that one. Bottom line is that your total operating costs depend on a lot of factors (some you can control, some you can't) but most importantly it's how you are going to use your vehicle and what it is worth on the market when you are done with it. As to safety while driving or parking each car has it's pros and cons. I have never had a battery or electrical problem that caused a fire or any other issue in my electrics. I have never had a gas leak in my CNG vehicles. I have never had gasoline leak or vent in my hybrids. All of the vehicles that I own have been/are parked indoors at my home and I don't fear for my life. As to the topic, neither CNG or electric vehicles are going to kill the gasoline car. I would expect CNG cars to make a greater inroad into the gasoline market as they are more "familiar" to the drivers of conventional cars then electrics. CNG cars can be refuled just as quickly as gasoline cars and usually have more then twice the range of the current LEAF. Electrics (at least for me) have been and are urban or suburban commuter vehicles and are perfectly suited to that task. If I was restrlcted to only one vehicle, it would be the Cavalier as it is a bi-fuel car that can run on both CNG and gasoline giving me unlimited driving range even if I can't find CNG. The only problem is the Cavalier is the least fun to drive :D !

91040, all it may take is one 'dirty' fill up and your maintenance costs will skyrocket. All of the parts are much more expensive than other ICE cars. For example, O2 sensors cost almost $500 a piece at Honda. Fuel injectors (much easier to foul than other ICEs) cost over $1000 a piece. In the 7 years that I owned a 2000 GX, I spent at least $5000 for just maintenance.

And if people are thinking about converting their gas car to CNG, forget it!
They don't run with the same efficiency, aren't smooth, have lots of stalling, and are very expensive to convert.
Also, bi-fuels aren't allowed in the HOV in most states.

Back