Most common LEAF service issue in first 3 yrs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
EVDRIVER said:
Andy, would you like to make a bet on it? How about dinner in SF or in your town if I lose? As I have said all along the are some things on the car I don't think are up to snuff and what do you know, no heat on day one. 50/50 chance I am joking right, and when have I ever joked on anything that was not clearly absurd or sarcastic that most could figure it out immediately:)?

Well- how about that bet?
Are you really asking me to believe that Nissan - in a window of hyper-QC - would release a car with a problem severe enough to set one of five diagnostic trouble codes?

It's possible, but the probability is so amazingly low - even without going into a karma or law of attraction tangent. ;)

Not the only major thing on a LEAF that has failed, I assume most issues are kept quiet. I have taken parts of the car apart and already found some things not fully assembled. You said BS- Yes or no on the bet?

I personally had a look at EVD's Leaf and He is 100% right. No heat!

When you first attempt to enable the heat, there is a ~500w draw according to the energy screen, then it shuts off.

Consult III+ revealed 2 pertinent DTC's:
B2792 - Heater Pump Operation Limit
B2794 - Heater Pump

I checked the current draw on the heater pump and found it spike to about a half-amp as soon as the heat was enabled, where it would sit for a few seconds, then drop to near zero for a bit, then repeat this cycle for 5 times, then it "gives up".

I suspect the impeller is jammed, most likely due to some foreign matter that got sucked in. This would explain how it was able to pass QC on the line, and then fail later.

-Phil

EVDRIVER said:
Not the only major thing on a LEAF that has failed, I assume most issues are kept quiet. I have taken parts of the car apart and already found some things not fully assembled.
Wow! Now that's scary. What areas weren't fully assembled?

Ingineer said:
I personally had a look at EVD's Leaf and He is 100% right. No heat!

When you first attempt to enable the heat, there is a ~500w draw according to the energy screen, then it shuts off.

Consult III+ revealed 2 pertinent DTC's:
B2792 - Heater Pump Operation Limit
B2794 - Heater Pump

I checked the current draw on the heater pump and found it spike to about a half-amp as soon as the heat was enabled, where it would sit for a few seconds, then drop to near zero for a bit, then repeat this cycle for 5 times, then it "gives up".

I suspect the impeller is jammed, most likely due to some foreign matter that got sucked in. This would explain how it was able to pass QC on the line, and then fail later.

-Phil
Makes sense. Hopefully it's as easy as a coolant flush/fill.

My confidence in Nissan's QA/QC is still intact. :D

EVDRIVER said:
AndyH said:
It's possible, but the probability is so amazingly low - even without going into a karma or law of attraction tangent. ;)
Not the only major thing on a LEAF that has failed, I assume most issues are kept quiet. I have taken parts of the car apart and already found some things not fully assembled. You said BS- Yes or no on the bet?
Sorry EVDRIVER - I guess this one is in the karma/LoA arena after all. Be careful what you 'wish' for!

PM me a paypal address - I'll spring for a "my Leaf's being repaired" pizza. :D

And don't hold back about findings - the point of the community is...well, you know already. ;)

AndyH said:
PM me a paypal address - I'll spring for a "my Leaf's being repaired" pizza. :D

And don't hold back about findings - the point of the community is...well, you know already. ;)

The point of the community is....making bets so you can have free pizza for life. Instead of fixing the pump how about you have them install 2 1500 watt PTC elements in place of the heater core. I've got two sitting on my desk if you need them.

So, this is my first post. I picked up my Leaf on Friday 3/11. The heater was not working from the start. I took it back in on Monday and they flew in a part from Nissan and a technician from California. I got my car back on Wednesday with the heater fixed. I noticed that the backup chimes had stopped working when the car came back. I took the car back in on Friday 3/25 for them to look at it. Nissan said it had to do with some part that had gone bad. They kept if over the weekend and it was returned to me on Monday. Now I am having an issue with the "sound effects" button. I can't seem to keep the sound turned off. It is intermittent so I am trying to see if I can find a pattern. It may have to go back to in again. I am wondering if I am the only one with so many issues

Back