Missing part?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stroked02F350 said:
After checking some of the recent cars we have had come in there is a small black plastic cover on those. I would be curious to find out what the production number is on cars that have them vs cars that don't.
Checking cars? comming in where?

Packet said:
Stroked02F350 said:
After checking some of the recent cars we have had come in there is a small black plastic cover on those. I would be curious to find out what the production number is on cars that have them vs cars that don't.
VIN#5017 doesn't have a plastic cover there, as a data point.
Neither does VIN #5589

Yeah, he said that he seen it on a couple of Leafs, some black plastic cover, but couldn't find the part # in the system. Maybe Nissan hasn't discovered this yet, I would keep checking with upcoming Leaf's.

Looks like my Leaf is missing this part too. Anyone hear of a solution from Nissan yet?

Maybe we should design some James Bond / Q style modular devices that snap into that spot... Hmmm maybe a flame thrower or nail dispersal system for Hummers? :mrgreen: :twisted:

I checked every Leaf at our last bay area meetup - none of them had a cover.
And it was a wide range of vehicles with VINs from like 50 through 4500.

Hello,
My new Leaf Vin#7462 does not have the cover either. I believe there should be a piece of covering to protect the electrical wires inside there. We should write this possible defect to the Nissan Manufacturer and request an explanation regarding this weird opening. What happen if the water goes in there and affects the electrical systems?
Do you think when they, probably the technicians at the dealership, in order for them to put the license plate holder, they had to remove the cover and then they forgot to put it back? But it seems odd that all of the cars don't have them. We need to get a picture of the car that actually has the cover. Has anyone found a Leaf that actually has the cover for the weir hole?

glam said:
Hello,
My new Leaf Vin#7462 does not have the cover either. I believe there should be a piece of covering to protect the electrical wires inside there. We should write this possible defect to the Nissan Manufacturer and request an explanation regarding this weird opening. What happen if the water goes in there and affects the electrical systems?
Do you think when they, probably the technicians at the dealership, in order for them to put the license plate holder, they had to remove the cover and then they forgot to put it back? But it seems odd that all of the cars don't have them. We need to get a picture of the car that actually has the cover. Has anyone found a Leaf that actually has the cover for the weir hole?
There is no cover. Never has been. One does not exist. :)

glam said:
Hello,
I already asked Nissan Customer Service and they told me that it's supposed to be like that (with the opening). I asked them if they will confirm that the car is 100% waterproof that way (if I wash my car and water gets in there), and they couldn't say. I had to insist on them getting a answer for me. They said they'd ask their engineers. I never heard back from them.

Hello Volusiano,
Thank you for your info. I think the Nissan people need to give us a good explanation for this. Should we contact the Nissan engineer in Japan directly? I'm just concern about driving it in the rain or muddy road until this issue is resolved.

glam said:
Hello Volusiano,
Thank you for your info. I think the Nissan people need to give us a good explanation for this. Should we contact the Nissan engineer in Japan directly? I'm just concern about driving it in the rain or muddy road until this issue is resolved.

Don't get "wrapped around the axle" on this. The Leaf does not have---never had a "cover" here. Just drive and enjoy the car. If you have a problem, it's under warranty. I'm sure the engineers did not "forget" to install a cover. IMHO, we're trying to create a problem where none exists. :roll:

I saw a vin 8000+ today and no cover.

I think the hole is a license plate storage spot only to be used by secret agents. Yes, that is right, only secret agents have the cover, with the second license plate deployment mechanism hidden above the black cover. Vin number 007, Secret Agent Leaf!

I'm not too concerned about it. Just remember if you wash it by hand not to spray too much water up the license plate into the hole. Even if you do, maybe they have proper drainage inside already.

This is getting more interesting and curious. Why would the Nissan engineer left a gapping hole like that without a cover? I would like to point out the obvious that this is an electric car and electricity and water are not very good friends. If there is a possible water exposure to battery or electric system then the car would not work. I hope to find the answer soon from the Nissan people.

glam said:
I would like to point out the obvious that this is an electric car and electricity and water are not very good friends.
I would like to point out that there is nothing behind that "missing cover" that isn't exposed on other vehicles. Just 12V DC. No worries. Splash away.

glam said:
I would like to point out the obvious that this is an electric car and electricity and water are not very good friends.
The LEAF gets along with water much better than your typical ICE vehicle! :lol:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11217657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@27:35 - apparently the Leaf can drive through over two feet (700mm) of standing water, no problem.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
glam said:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11217657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@27:35 - apparently the Leaf can drive through over two feet (700mm) of standing water, no problem.
=Smidge=
Wow, I'm flabbergasted to see this video of the Leaf being that much under water. Apparently, the charging ports must have been submerged for sure and it still does OK. And I was worried about not having my orange cover on after charging.

glam said:
Smidge204 said:

=Smidge=
See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxL4LVgdP7E: LEAF driven at walking pace through 1 foot of standing water for 13 seconds or so.

Back