Looked at a new Leaf yesterday, learned some neat stuff!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I went to my local dealer here in Arlington, TX. I told the guy my lease would be ending in a few months and was interested in possibly getting another new Leaf. Here's the cool thing. Just for some perspective, I currently have a 2011 SL without DC port, but otherwise loaded.

He showed me an SL, SV, and S model. I actually got to sit in them, turn them on and play with them. Something I can't do at a car show where the cars are turned off and they usually just have the one model to look at. So, I can say that I wouldn't want the S model because it lacks navigation and some of the other features of the center screen such as the energy screen. However, it was still a nice car at a good price and I wouldn't fault anyone for getting the S model. Just myself, I really want those other features. Oh, and I was surprised to see the S model has a backup camera on that small screen.

However, the SV model was actually better equipped than my current SL model, at least as far as any equipment I actually care about. Some of the upgrades I would get by moving to this car would be:
  • More cargo area.
  • Heated seats AND steering wheel.
  • Faster L2 charging
  • DC fast charge
  • charge port opens from keyfob
  • heat-pump
  • B-mode
  • SOC meter
  • 360-degree camera
  • A year's free fast charging at all EVGO stations
  • A brand new battery (assuming it would be the heat resistant version too)

And the best news of all, is that I can lease one with zero down payment and have a monthly payment somewhere in the ballpark of $350. Which is awesome because I'd actually gain all of these features and my monthly payment would actually drop by about $70. How cool is that?

A couple of other observations. This guy, James Whitehouse, actually knows his stuff. Not only was he a whiz at calculating the numbers and understanding how the leases work on the Leaf, but he actually understands the car and all of the equipment. When I pointed to a new button I didn't understand he knew exactly what it was for and how it was different from the 2011-2012 Leafs. It is rare to find a salesman that knows anything about these cars. When I went to a Chevy dealer a few months ago the salesmen there knew absolutely nothing about the Volt.

The other neat thing is about the camera. I had seen photos online of the surround view camera, but I thought it only worked when in reverse like the one on my car. But there is a button called "camera" you can press and it will turn it on at any time. This would be great for parking in tight spaces, even when moving forward!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
That all sounds good. You may have to wait for the new hot battery though. On the other hand, they can usually get you out of your lease six months early. Good luck.
Actually, he said I should wait until March. I'd still have 3 months left at that point but he said Nissan is always offering special deals in March, including early lease termination. So I might end up with an even better deal and by that point they should be 2014 models, which I assume will have the new "hot" battery.

Sounds like a fun visit. Good luck on your decision.

I'll note that for 2011 there were no heated seats or steering wheel or battery heater in the early versions. Some later 2011s were given a CW "Cold Weather" package with those items, and they were made standard on 2012s. Not a big deal for most people, but something to be aware of if you live in a cold weather area and are shopping used 2011 LEAFs. I got my 2011 as a dealer demo from Texas and didn't think about the missing CW package until after it got here. Heated seats can be retro-fitted (lots of early posts on this forum discuss how) but the other items cannot.

adric22 said:
[*]DC fast charge
only in special package with LEDs, may be cheaper to get SL if you want that package as well.

adric22 said:
The other neat thing is about the camera. I had seen photos online of the surround view camera, but I thought it only worked when in reverse like the one on my car. But there is a button called "camera" you can press and it will turn it on at any time. This would be great for parking in tight spaces, even when moving forward!
You sure can press it at any time but it only works at a very slow speed (like below 5mph) when moving forward.

adric22 said:
Actually, he said I should wait until March. I'd still have 3 months left at that point but he said Nissan is always offering special deals in March, including early lease termination. So I might end up with an even better deal and by that point they should be 2014 models, which I assume will have the new "hot" battery.
All good, but I wouldn't assume anything regarding the new "hot" battery. It will probably come out at some point (and your climate would be a good fit for it), but who knows when it will come out, whether it will be a limited release for areas like Arizona to begin with, etc.

adric22 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
That all sounds good. You may have to wait for the new hot battery though. On the other hand, they can usually get you out of your lease six months early. Good luck.

Thought I read that the hot battery wasn't going to be available until April or later. Worth waiting for if you're buying, but may not be too important if you're doing a two year lease.

360 camera is only available in the Premium Package option, which includes the Bose sound and the woofer that takes up some trunk space, as previously mentioned. It's about $1,000 more. Also, the backup camera on the S is only available with an option package.

A few other neat things you might have missed: sun visor extensions, rear seat heaters, a storage cubby in the center console where the old electric parking brake switch was, charge cover release on dash is electric, light under charge cover, the wheels and tires on the SL give you much better feel and handling, leather covered steering wheel, ECO mode stays on between stops and restarts, "Accept" screen only required once a month, inside lights are LED, I think that Padora radio is supported, outside mirrors are heated, heat can be turned off in Defrost mode, heat pump on SV and SL, regen bubbles are light green on dash.

Unfortunately, torque is reduced and power off the line is noticeably less.

I'm surprised you didn't know about know about some/most of this. I'd read about the changes at http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I guess I was also lucky to be able to see the same '13 Leaf (pre-production, early build) unit in San Jose that was the same car that was brought to the Phoenix town hall, brought by a Nissan rep.

Also, more recently, someone did this write-up: http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I didn't get a decent demo of the Around View Monitor until I was actually at a dealer though. When I saw the early '13 Leaf that was brought over, we couldn't drive it so we couldn't see what it showed and then all the doors that could be opened were open, making their cameras useless. (The passenger side door on that unit was busted and couldn't be opened from the inside nor outside.)

Boomer23 said:
360 camera is only available in the Premium Package option, which includes the Bose sound and the woofer that takes up some trunk space, as previously mentioned. It's about $1,000 more. Also, the backup camera on the S is only available with an option package.
According to all the articles I've read, the base back-up camera will now be standard equipment on all 2014 LEAFs.

Because of an upcoming federal requirement, backup cameras will become standard on all cars...

GRA said:
According to all the articles I've read, the base back-up camera will now be standard equipment on all 2014 LEAFs.

cwerdna said:
I'm surprised you didn't know about know about some/most of this. I'd read about the changes at http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I guess I was also lucky to be able to see the same '13 Leaf (pre-production, early build) unit in San Jose that was the same car that was brought to the Phoenix town hall, brought by a Nissan rep.
I knew a lot of it.. But I think the thing that shocked me was once I realized I would be able to get all of this new stuff and actually end up with a lower car payment. For some reason I was sort of figuring all of this new stuff was going to really cost me.

adric22 said:
cwerdna said:
I knew a lot of it.. But I think the thing that shocked me was once I realized I would be able to get all of this new stuff and actually end up with a lower car payment. For some reason I was sort of figuring all of this new stuff was going to really cost me.

Being an early adopter of the Leaf is what cost you!

I'm paying $462 a month for my 2012 SL and I can't wait for the day that I'm in the same position as you...more car, less money! :D

Back