Lizard Pack Holding Up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced Jul 2014, at 39801 miles

Status Now
AHr 58.18
SOH 91%
SOC 90.2
Hx 86.17%
394.00V
odo 58,825 mi
GIDs 247

So averaging 0.5% loss per month. 60 months, 30% loss, which is right in line with what a lot of cars did with their original batteries. Whether or not that is better than original battery depends on where you are. Phoenix cars probably lost about 1% per month on original batteries.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
So averaging 0.5% loss per month. 60 months, 30% loss, which is right in line with what a lot of cars did with their original batteries. Whether or not that is better than original battery depends on where you are. Phoenix cars probably lost about 1% per month on original batteries.

-Karl

Um, it is very close to averaging 2% per month after the initial battery headroom is used up. I sure wish you would have made it to a new battery under warranty. I just got my 2nd leaf back from the dealer today with a new battery but I had till end of this summer to qualify under warranty. I was too afraid that they may change their policy about replacing the battery. They technically (legally) could have repaired the battery instead of replacement because of when I purchased my car. Even though their policy (now) seems to be to replace and not repair, I was not willing to gamble that it wouldn't change in the future. Many more cars will be suffering battery degradation from this point on and hopefully they continue with the business practice that they are now doing.

This thread scared me a bit so i hooked up leafspy for the first time in at least 6 months.

I have had my 15 S exactly 18 months now and have 17263 miles on it.
Gids: 289
SOH: 99
SOC: 97.2
Ambient temp in garage, low to mid 40s F.
Battery temp: 54F

Nfuzzy said:
This thread scared me a bit so i hooked up leafspy for the first time in at least 6 months.

Now that's the kind of results that I wish that I had!

Nfuzzy said:

congrats, looks like degradation is a non issue in your part of the world. :)

The degradation reported by Evoforce, sksingh and others has convinced me that it is not worth $6500 to replace my battery next fall. Conditions in Ridgecrest are not quite as intense as Phoenix, but my battery lost about 0.6 percent per month. And there's the other consideration... that right about the time I'd be buying a new battery, the 60 kWh Bolt and maybe Leaf 2 should be available. Why invest in obsolete (24 kWh) technology?

At any rate, we'll have folks reporting how their lizard batteries are holding up after two summers. On the original Leaf battery, the screaming didn't begin until second summer.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
The degradation reported by Evoforce, sksingh and others has convinced me that it is not worth $6500 to replace my battery next fall. Conditions in Ridgecrest are not quite as intense as Phoenix, but my battery lost about 0.6 percent per month. And there's the other consideration... that right about the time I'd be buying a new battery, the 60 kWh Bolt and maybe Leaf 2 should be available. Why invest in obsolete (24 kWh) technology?
-Karl

Karl, I'm sure more than I would still like to hear when your bar 9 finally goes away. I hope you'll keep us updated?

Yeah, I am not in Phoenix but there are a few months in the summer where I may see lots of high 80s days,car sits out in the sun all day on asphalt, temp bars stay at 6 for days at a time.
This thread made me wonder if there is some reason the replacement packs don't seem to hold up as well as the new 15 leafs?

Nfuzzy said:
...if there is some reason the replacement packs don't seem to hold up as well as the new 15 leafs?
I don't think anybody knows that yet. 15's are holding up well in places with great temps but not everywhere.

My 15 doesn't seem to be doing so well.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Nfuzzy said:
...if there is some reason the replacement packs don't seem to hold up as well as the new 15 leafs?
I don't think anybody knows that yet. 15's are holding up well in places with great temps but not everywhere.

My 15 doesn't seem to be doing so well.

With the realization that Nissan didn't deliver a more heat-resistant battery again I think it makes little sense to invest in a new pack for my 2011. Between the cost of the pack and further depreciation of the vehicle I'd probably be looking at $10-11,000 over the next 4-5 years in the cost of ownership, and that is not counting any repairs that tend to be costly on the Leaf.

kolmstead said:

At any rate, we'll have folks reporting how their lizard batteries are holding up after two summers. On the original Leaf battery, the screaming didn't begin until second summer.

-Karl

we can only hope that 24 kWh packs get cheaper after the 60 kWh packs become common or a lot of 24 kWh cars will end up as 3rd cars, chopped up for spare parts, or worse being crushed for recycling at the junk yard without even bothering.

I am not happy that they still have not added cooling to their 60kWh battery that is due to come to market. Just plain stupid to me. I don't know if I can trust (or be duped again) that this battery will be more durable. I want to promote this car but still see this battery as sub par. Come on Nissan! I'm begging you to do better to help the reputation of your batteries. Admit that there is a problem and do what it takes to fix the issue and make the car great. Premature battery degradation and too short of range as well as a broken/non existant QC charging infrastructure need to be resolved. The car is very good if it were not for these issues.

A couple of years ago, OrientExpress, who seems to have pretty good ties with Nissan, stated that the objective of the car companies was to have cars become consumables just like cell phones, with about a 3-year lifespan. Buy or lease it, drive it three years, and recycle it. A battery that only gives about three years of usable service fits right into that business model.

Once we start seeing rapid improvements in battery capacity, that trend will reinforce the rapid obsolescence of older BEVs. So the real issue is unrealistic expectations from those of us who used to keep our cars eight or ten years. We just need attitude adjustment!

-Karl

Stoaty said:
Evoforce said:
I am not happy that they still have not added cooling to their 60kWh battery that is due to come to market.
Source?
Nissan has said on numerous occasions that they weren't going to use TMS. OTOH, the e-NV200 will apparently have some cooling for QC: http://insideevs.com/heres-nissan-employs-active-air-cooling-e-nv200-battery-pack/

GRA said:
Nissan has said on numerous occasions that they weren't going to use TMS. OTOH, the e-NV200 will apparently have some cooling for QC: http://insideevs.com/heres-nissan-employs-active-air-cooling-e-nv200-battery-pack/
I don't see anything about Leaf 2.0 not using a TMS. The lack of a TMS isn't working out very well for the Lizard battery based on reports here. Until information is released on Leaf 2.0, we don't know what Nissan will do. The rest is speculation.

Stoaty said:
GRA said:
I don't see anything about Leaf 2.0 not using a TMS. The lack of a TMS isn't working out very well for the Lizard battery based on reports here. Until information is released on Leaf 2.0, we don't know what Nissan will do. The rest is speculation.
Informed speculation - Nissan has been pretty adamant that they weren't going to use a TMS. It would be a 180 for them to say now that they've decided to use one (even though they almost certainly need it).

kolmstead said:
A couple of years ago, OrientExpress, who seems to have pretty good ties with Nissan, stated that the objective of the car companies was to have cars become consumables just like cell phones, with about a 3-year lifespan. Buy or lease it, drive it three years, and recycle it. A battery that only gives about three years of usable service fits right into that business model.

Once we start seeing rapid improvements in battery capacity, that trend will reinforce the rapid obsolescence of older BEVs. So the real issue is unrealistic expectations from those of us who used to keep our cars eight or ten years. We just need attitude adjustment!

-Karl

Add car sharing, ride sharing and future automated driverless cars into the equation and you change the industry even more. Although I don't have data it already appears to me that leafs that are driven a lot last longer in the battery department. All those market changes add up to cars that get more millage in a shorter time frame which means the batteries will be in much better shape relative to the rest of the car wearing out after 3 years of heavy use.

Automated car sharing services will accelerate this even more because during peak times the cars will never sit at 100% state of charge since they'll be able to go out and work as soon as they have the charge they need. Also 1 car might service the daily needs of a 7-3 worker, an 8-4 worker, a 9-5 worker plus evening workers and multiple people going out and about after work and on days off. In 3 years time they might get the use that an average single owner/family owned car gets in 10 years.

Back