Level 3 Charging Updates - SAE Meetings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since we have already gone thru several polls, i think we all have to realize, how often is L3 charging going to be needed?

well, i do trips to Seattle a dozen or so times a year so i would need a boost to get home, but Tacoma i can do RT with no issues. total distance if going to the far side might be 75 miles RT and i would not be in a hurry.

but in one's expected everyday use, what would be the recharging needs? most of the time, mine would be probably around 20-40 miles a day. something that even 110 could replace in 8 hours. even on days where we were out for the evening, i would still be looking at least 10 hours of charging and in most situations, it would actually be at least 12 hours of charging ( i work 10 hour shifts so gone early)

i do know that the Leaf will be driven as much as possible and will be charged at every opportunity, even if its for 20 minutes and i dont do it for range anxiety, i do it to put the word out.

I think fast charging (15 minutes ?) and about 200 miles of range will make it practicle to travel long distances using EVs. That should really be the goal (since I don't think we will get highspeed trains in a hurry :lol: ).

L3 requires a very healthy supply of DC power for each car. There is the AC to DC part, but the DC level is quite variable, to supply just the amount of current requested by the charge controller in the car. Sure, there could be more than one L3 "supply" in a box, but the box needs to have an independent current-regulator for each attached car.

After the high-current charging phase of L3, if the car attempts to "top up" the battery (which it might not), a simple "constant voltage" rarely does the job properly. Generally it is a much more complex "BMS-controlled" process.

Moving away from L3 for just a minute:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/at_home
Technical Data Sheet
HCA L-2*
Power storage for EV charging at home is made possible with AV’s home charging appliance, currently in development. Combining energy storage and charging in one compact unit, the HCA-L2 will allow you to draw power slowly into the storage unit using an everyday 120VAC outlet, so that you can then charge more quickly at any time at an optimal cost – even when energy demand is high. The HCA is a “clean generator” for the home and doesn’t require professional installation.
Featuring
Level 2 charging convenience
Integrated energy storage
Designed to charge any standard EV or PHEV
Fast setup
Minimizes need for electrical permit
Minimizes need for professional installation
Full charge in 3-8 hours depending on conditions
Charge any time without “peak demand” charges
Moveable unit follows you to your next residence
Promotes less wear on power distribution grid
Promotes a more balanced grid
Various financing options available
HCA_low_Lrg.jpg

Here's a portable L2 EVSE with internal battery storage. The internal battery is charged from a 120V outlet.

There's no reason in the world why we can't do this for L3 -- install a battery bank (old lead-acid? Off-grid home battery pack? Recycled Leaf batteries?) that's charged more slowly but can quickly dump energy to the car via the L3 port. We'd still need to implement the data comms capability, but wouldn't need a charger as this is a direct DC-DC dump.

Lots-o-ways to skin a cat!

evnow said:
garygid said:
This "Home-A..." thing has 25 kWh of energy storage?
Weighs how much, 700 pounds?

Exactly. And ofcourse, how much. I'm always cautious when I see the below "feature" ... :cry:

Various financing options available
Yeah, how much ? But think of it this way: you can avoid that whole $2,200 (which we still don't know if it is min./avg./max.) ... so, does this device cost < $2,200 ? (Unlikely with that much storage, but we need to know.)

LEAFer said:
Yeah, how much ? But think of it this way: you can avoid that whole $2,200 (which we still don't know if it is min./avg./max.) ... so, does this device cost < $2,200 ? (Unlikely with that much storage, but we need to know.)

EVSE after tax credit is $1,100. I'd be very surprised if this home charger is less than 5 times as much.

ps : For EV project people EVSE is free :)

garygid said:
EVProject EVSE is "free", not free, I believe.
Only some of the EVSE+install is covered, as I recall.

Yes - std install is covered i.e. if your install is 2,200 - that is covered. Rest of it you would pay - and get a 50% tax credit :)

The CHAdeMO DC fast charging connector and assembly is now an Underwriters Labs approved EV charging method in the USA.

It's currently the only approved fast charging method in the US...

AndyH said:
The CHAdeMO DC fast charging connector and assembly is now an Underwriters Labs approved EV charging method in the USA.

It's currently the only approved fast charging method in the US...

Hmmm... so what happenned to the single port ? Dead ... or is it VHS vs BETA ?

Cool News, great "digging" for data!

That opens the way for the installation of the Nissan-style L3 Charging Stations, right?

It will be interesting to see if that affects the J1772 committee in any way.

Thanks for keepiig us posted.

----
I should have asked here:
What keeps the dirt out of the L3 J1772 socket when just the L2 portion is being used?

I have asked Nissan Customer Service to verify that I (and all the zip-codes
in Orange County, CA) will be offered the Quick-Charge option,
at least on the SL model.

They said that they will call me back tomorrow (Wed).

1. So the proposed "combined L2/L3 conector" has a flap on a flap?

Open one flap to expose the L2 part, and open the 2nd flap
to access the whole L3 part?

Does one need to hold the L3 flap down while opening the L2 part
(requiring two hands)?

Are any of the L2 pins used for the L3 charging?

In any case, there would be two different plugs, one for L1/L2 EVSEs,
and a different one on the e-hose of the L3 "e-pump".

It seems to me that the cost of two sockets (as is done now in the Nissan)
would be essentially the same as that of this new BIG "combined" socket.

garygid said:
I have asked Nissan Customer Service to verify that I (and all the zip-codes
in Orange County, CA) will be offered the Quick-Charge option,
at least on the SL model.

They said that they will call me back tomorrow (Wed).
I just asked a very similar question through Nissan live chat however I did not think to specify where I was although I did fill out my location when I started the chat. This is the response I got form Erica:

"As long as you order the SL trim level, you will be able to take advantage of the option to add the Level 3 port during the ordering process. Adding the level 3 port will not be an option after you take delivery of your Nissan LEAF."

Back