LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
leafkabob said:
Ingineer said:
There are many other reasons too, and it becomes instantly obvious as soon as you try to live with it. Many people already use their phone as for music and nav, in addition to the occasional phone call. All of these would interfere with LEAFSCAN™ uses. In addition, many functions, such as logging and charging control would not be possible it LEAFSCAN™ was phone-based when you take it out when you park.

I consider the LEAFSCAN™ to now be a critical piece of my Leaf, as it does so much. I depend on it to control my 6.7kW charger, and even when driving I feel handicapped without it. It would stink to be dependant on another chunk external hardware to make it work, especially things like having to futz with it every single time I get in the car, and fighting with the sun to see the display.

A Dedicated LCD display doesn't really add that much cost, as we'd still need the processing/logging functions to live in the car, so why move it to an app? Plus I don't want to have to develop/maintain multiple apps for different platforms. If I do phone-based, I have to do iOS and Android too, and that still cuts out people like me running a different OS. (WebOS) What if Apple decides they don't want to allow my app after all the development and blocks me? Just way too many reasons not to go that route!

-Phil

And all of the collective hearts of the MNL members sank to their feet when they got the end of Phil's post and realized he wasn't going to offer any current news about the availability of Leafscan. ;)
+1

I'm a retired computer data analyst and I have a concern about Leafscan. When we develop management information systems we have a term that some of you might be familiar with. The term is "garbage in, garbage out". Obviously there's misinformation being sent to us from the Leaf information systems. I see three possibilities of why the information we're getting is inaccurate.
1. The Leaf is sending reliable data and the programs that analyze that data have been poorly developed.
2. The Leaf is sending out inaccurate data so the programs though well written, are suffering from, you guessed it, "Garbage in, Garbage out".
3. The Leaf is sending out inaccurate data and the programs are poorly written as well.
Leafscan is dependent on the accuracy of the data the Leaf sends out If the Leaf isn't capable of sending accurate data to Leafscan, Leafscan can't give us accurate info.
Lets hope that possibility #1 is the case.

Ingineer said:
There are many other reasons too, and it becomes instantly obvious as soon as you try to live with it. Many people already use their phone as for music and nav, in addition to the occasional phone call. All of these would interfere with LEAFSCAN™ uses. In addition, many functions, such as logging and charging control would not be possible it LEAFSCAN™ was phone-based when you take it out when you park.

I consider the LEAFSCAN™ to now be a critical piece of my Leaf, as it does so much. I depend on it to control my 6.7kW charger, and even when driving I feel handicapped without it. It would stink to be dependant on another chunk external hardware to make it work, especially things like having to futz with it every single time I get in the car, and fighting with the sun to see the display.

A Dedicated LCD display doesn't really add that much cost, as we'd still need the processing/logging functions to live in the car, so why move it to an app? Plus I don't want to have to develop/maintain multiple apps for different platforms. If I do phone-based, I have to do iOS and Android too, and that still cuts out people like me running a different OS. (WebOS) What if Apple decides they don't want to allow my app after all the development and blocks me? Just way too many reasons not to go that route!

-Phil
I'm convinced, forget the iPhone, bring on the Leafscan! Maybe you could set up a listserv we could subscribe to so that when/if you start taking orders we can all be notified with an e-mail? Also, can someone point me to any discussions of how to add a 6.7 kw charger that Phil mentions above?
JG

barsad22 said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
I'm convinced, forget the iPhone, bring on the Leafscan! Maybe you could set up a listserv we could subscribe to so that when/if you start taking orders we can all be notified with an e-mail? Also, can someone point me to any discussions of how to add a 6.7 kw charger that Phil mentions above?
JG

All of us who want a Leafscan are already signed up for its purchase when available. Just send Phil and email stating you desire to purchase.

downeykp said:
All of us who want a Leafscan are already signed up for its purchase when available. Just send Phil and email staing you desire to purchase.
Yes, if you have ever communicated with us via email or have purchased from us, you will get an email as soon as we have CONCRETE availability information. Just go to our website and shoot us a note requesting you be added to the list.

My philosophy is to under-promise and over-deliver. I'll produce no LEAFSCAN™ before it's time! =)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I'll produce no LEAFSCAN™ before it's time! =)

-Phil
Which conjures the S. Jobs quote... "Real artists ship." ... with utmost respect.

This is great and I can not wait to have one here in Japan.
My only concern is that if it is mounted on the review mirror because of the weight it will vibrate like crazy. I have a Radar integrated mirror that I mounted over the original mirror and sometimes it is hard to read the small numbers.
Maybe if it could also be attached to the front glass or something to give it more stability??

All the best!

Carlos

sparky said:
Which conjures the S. Jobs quote... "Real artists ship." ... with utmost respect.
I never professed to be an artist. REAL Engineers don't ship crap! (Like all the radio/antenna designs in the first 3 iPhones!) ;)

-Phil

leafinjapan said:
My only concern is that if it is mounted on the review mirror because of the weight it will vibrate like crazy. I have a Radar integrated mirror that I mounted over the original mirror and sometimes it is hard to read the small numbers.
Maybe if it could also be attached to the front glass or something to give it more stability??

My concern (here in the US) is that if I mount it on/near my rear view mirror, someone will "smash and grab" the LeafScan thinking it's a GPS. Of course, once they figure this out, the damage (to our cars) is already done. Here's hoping there are multiple cabling/mounting options.

Stanton said:
leafinjapan said:

My concern (here in the US) is that if I mount it on/near my rear view mirror, someone will "smash and grab" the LeafScan thinking it's a GPS. Of course, once they figure this out, the damage (to our cars) is already done. Here's hoping there are multiple cabling/mounting options.

+1... would love Bluetooth

Stanton said:
leafinjapan said:
As Ingineer said on page 1 on this thread, the cable attaches under the dash. He personally likes mounting the LEAFSCAN above the mirror, but that has got to be about the most difficult mounting location I can think of, given the lack of bluetooth. I'm not about to try to thread the cable through the mirror mount and under the trim halfway around the windshield. You can clearly mount it anywhere you want. The simplest would probably be in front of the drive selector lever. Slightly more complicated would be somewhere on the dash. I personally have my eye on that silly porthole at the edge of the dash. I can never see anything out of it anyway.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Stanton said:
leafinjapan said:
As Ingineer said on page 1 on this thread, the cable attaches under the dash. He personally likes mounting the LEAFSCAN above the mirror, but that has got to be about the most difficult mounting location I can think of, given the lack of bluetooth. I'm not about to try to thread the cable through the mirror mount and under the trim halfway around the windshield. You can clearly mount it anywhere you want. The simplest would probably be in front of the drive selector lever. Slightly more complicated would be somewhere on the dash. I personally have my eye on that silly porthole at the edge of the dash. I can never see anything out of it anyway.

Ray

+1 I will mount mine in front of the gear shift. That way it is still accessible and not as noticeable for some degenerate who might steal it if it was out in the open.

Thanks a lot, Phil, for great contribution to the community as always and please count me in!
Suggestions:
1) Phil, not sure if you have finalized hardware design but how about using Raspberry Pi ? http://www.raspberrypi.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the cost of $25 - $35, it is offered as a full computer with Debian Linux with 2 usb input ports. Maybe Leaf instrumentation data can be fed through the USB ports. Not sure if your hardware cost would be lower than that. For display it can output on HDMI port or TV output. It would still need to be enclosed in a display (unless it is connected to a smart phone). But, this is just a thought.
2) While I agree with your points about not having to rely on a phone app connected by bluetooth to LeafScan, I think there is reason to allow both (i.e. dedicated display and a few buttons on LeafScan for basic operation as well as a smartphone app). So, LeafScan would be great for basic interface but since Leaf instrumentation may have lot more data and lot more settings than can conveniently fit in little LCD of LeafScan. Also, with lot more settings and parameters, it would require more UI and more buttons on that small device. Dedicated hardware of small non-touchscreen display with a few hardware button might become limiting factor at some point in future whereas smartphone touch screen interface is easy to modify with only software change. So, there is value in having an Android App that can connect to LeafScan over bluetooth for more sophisticated UI, charts, configuration settings, etc. And this doesn't need to replace basic display of LeafScan. Touchscreen of phone would eliminate several buttons on device also. So, this way one can think of this as more sophisticated version of Nissan Carwings app.
If Raspberry Pi was part of the hardware, phone can connect to it easily with bluetooth or wifi.

Also, using Raspberry Pi for network connection might possibly eliminate your FCC clearance requirement. In a previous post you mentioned that you didn't want to put bluetooth in Leafscan as it would impose requirement of FCC approval on you.

If both smartphone app and LeafScan LCD are not possible, and if I have to vote, I would vote for only a smart phone app and mount my phone! If I have to vote between Android App and iPhone App, I would vote for Android App first and an iPhone app later but of course I am biased due to the phone I have!! :) If it is a combination of Raspberry Pi and a smart phone, LCD may be unnecessary and that can significantly reduce cost. Also, this way, the hardware (Raspberry Pi) can remain hidden down below anywhere in the car and not be at risk of getting stolen.

I would be interested in your thoughts about this.

downeykp said:
+1 I will mount mine in front of the gear shift. That way it is still accessible and not as noticeable for some degenerate who might steal it if it was out in the open.

I mounted my LEAF SG on the dash above the Nav and ran the small cable down the side and into the space under the steering wheel. When I leave the car, I place an old hat/cap over it. It not only hides it, but gives it protection from the sun's rays.

Here are some ideas for future projects as the leafscan is hopefully almost done...
A $25 Raspberry Pi with a usb blue tooth to communicate with the Clarion console in the Nissan LEAF would eliminate the display part but require software addition to the existing Microsoft Windoze CE Automotive possibly through the second SD card slot, or it could output directly to another display input using the on board HDMI.
The $25 Raspberry Pi could output using usb wifi to a cell phone application overcoming the limitations of the blue tooth. Cell phone or ipad or ipod would not require any service to use wifi for this application.
Wifi would allow transmission of all data from all buses wirelessly. This data could be processed and displayed by various devices. For example, a "black box" to record all data off the buses and simultaneous gps and time data; a display of the battery temperature, motor and battery amps, state of charge of the battery, rpm of the motor, climate on/off, security system and locks on/off, etc.
Alternatively, the $25 Raspberry Pi could be loaded with a 32Gb Class 10 or better SD card and used as a stand alone black box.
Sorry about being off topic a little here.
I got the Gid Meter from Gary Giddings a couple of weeks ago and it works great! I've been recording and analyzing data from the Nissan LEAF CAN busses and look forward to being able to purchase the leafscan as soon as it is available. Right now I have wirez running all over the front of the car so things look a little clunky. I am not sure if all the wires are a theft deterrent, but I have a co-worker who holds the best theft deterrent he has ever seen is a pair of dirty underwear sitting on the front seat in plain view. Not sure if he is right or not.
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful work you are doing for EV's.
Jim Lynch

Ingineer said:
sparky said:
I never professed to be an artist. REAL Engineers don't ship crap! (Like all the radio/antenna designs in the first 3 iPhones!) ;)

-Phil
Phil, thanks for the occasional update ... so we know the project hasn't dropped off the map ... and also so we know you're still alive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back