LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it show voltage and ampacity signal of an L2 when you are plugged in to a J1772 charging station?

It's been about a month since we've got any official announcements on this product. This is just a bump to see if we can get an update on the project status.

I'Ve been waiting for mine to purchase as both a toy and a tool. As a toy I can patiently wait. But now I find myself in a situation where I need it as a tool. My car seems to have developed a case of sudden capacity loss. I don't believe it is degradation but rather a bad cell in the pack. When driving it tracks power like normal but after stopping and then restarting I lose bars every time. It seems like the BMS re-evaluates after reading ocv and drops every time. I've taken some detailed notes on consumption and compaired to the tony-range-chart and I'm planning in one more test before bringing it to the dealer. But reading cell voltages with leafscan would be even better documentation before bringing it in. If there is any hope of a product release in the next month I'd wait to bring it in since I don't need to run deep cycles in my car and it seems to run fine right now albeit only short distances.

palmermd said:
My car seems to have developed a case of sudden capacity loss. I don't believe it is degradation but rather a bad cell in the pack.

In hot Sacramneto, I predict that the odds of a bad cell are slim, compared to the dozens of reports of diminished capacity in hot climates.

Welcome to the club (for me, 13% loss, and my car has NEVER seen hot weather).

palmermd said:
When driving it tracks power like normal but after stopping and then restarting I lose bars every time. It seems like the BMS re-evaluates after reading ocv and drops every time.

I agree we need a tool. Let me comment on your 'disappearing bars'.

I too have noticed that simply switching the car off and back on again a bar may disappear. This is actually by design, the bars 'go out' later when driving than when the car is started. I can't find the reference, but Nissan have a table showing the SOC% and when bars will be lit up either driving or on start-up, and they are different as you have empirically established.

Ingineer said:
Boomer23 said:
Beautifully done, Phil, congratulations.

I'd echo the suggestion to make the display removable easily for theft deterrence. I would also select fewer decimals to display the SOC, as I'd find it too distracting to see that rapidly decrementing third digit in the corner of my eye.
As I mentioned, I'll allow you to choose the precision yourself. Not yet sure if the cable can easily be made detachable, it's got a lot of pins, and the housing is pretty thin. If anyone has a contact for getting cables made, please let me know. (Also looking for someone to assist with injection molding case design, die creation, and a decent production molding shop)

-Phil
http://www.cablewholesale.com/cgi-bin/googletrack.cgi?url=/index.php/Landing1&gclid=CKruzui7iaMCFRMeDQodIQ0yZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
check with these guys.

palmermd said:
When driving it tracks power like normal but after stopping and then restarting I lose bars every time.
Yup. I think this is normal. I won't lose a bar if I go a short distance.

gascant said:
palmermd said:
Let's stay on topic. I'll post other info in another thread. Just wanted to give a little background regarding my request.
Which thread are you posting in?

LeafScan. I started this discussion today by asking for an update to the product and schedule, if there is one available, since we have not received any comments from the designer in over a month.

palmermd said:
gascant said:
palmermd said:
Let's stay on topic. I'll post other info in another thread. Just wanted to give a little background regarding my request.
Which thread are you posting in?

LeafScan. I started this discussion today by asking for an update to the product and schedule, if there is one available, since we have not received any comments from the designer in over a month.
I meant around the observation of bar loss frequently when you start the car (which I also see).

Sorry for the lapse in updates, as I'm hard at work on LEAFSCAN, I have little time right now for the forum.

Designing a product from scratch and getting it manufactured is a difficult and complex process, which is only hampered by the realities of the low amount of units I will be able to sell. This complicates things as I can't get as many suppliers willing to deal with the project, and it's hard to get good pricing.

There has been a few setbacks during this process, but they are being solved, and as soon as I know when the first units will be available, I will announce it. I WILL NOT announce anything before it's a sure thing. I apologize if you need LEAFSCAN now, but it's not possible. I'm doing the best I can. If you can't wait, then so be it. Most of us here waited a long time to get our Leafs, and that was from a billion-dollar multinational car company. I don't have those resources, so please bear with me.

Again, PLEASE; don't keep asking for me for these kinds of updates. You can bet for sure you'll hear from me when I know when the first deliveries are coming. I will send emails to everyone on our list. If you've done business before, or asked to be added to the LEAFSCAN list, you'll get the announcement!

Thanks for your patience!

-Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil. It was a shot in the dark seeing if you were close. I realize you have proven to have excellent communication (based on the EVSEupgrade product) and I fully expect you'll continue in that tradition. I just thought I'd bump the thread since it was over a month since you had posted any news whatsoever.

I'm back to patiently waiting for my LeafScan, and wish you luck in your dealings with suppliers. You'd think in this economy people would be willing to work with smaller businesses, but I've found that it seems even harder for some reason. Counter-intuitive, but seems to be the reality.

I just wanted to be added to the mailing list if possible. I know this is all a work in progress.

LEAFfan said:
devoneh said:
I just wanted to be added to the mailing list if possible. I know this is all a work in progress.

You need to go to his website and sign up.

You just send an email saying you are interested in LEAFscan and you are on the list. There is no "sign up".

Sure would be nice if I could read the battery temp on my car.

Was page one of this thread really created on March 16 ?

EVDRIVER said:
LEAFfan said:
devoneh said:

You need to go to his website and sign up.

You just send an email saying you are interested in LEAFscan and you are on the list. There is no "sign up".

Like I said, that's called a 'sign-up'. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back