LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Phil,

For manufacturing your enclosure, have you considered using 3D printing for the job? Buy one of these for $2,200 and make your enclosures on demand:

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be helpful with many of your experimental projects too... Would that work? Of course, there's still the issue of assembling the circuits, etc...

GeekEV said:
Hey Phil,

For manufacturing your enclosure, have you considered using 3D printing for the job? Buy one of these for $2,200 and make your enclosures on demand:

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that it would be a tedious job if he need a thousand units or so...

3D printing does not produce acceptable quality housings. I'd be better off buying a Radio Shack box.

Know this: I absolutely will not market or sell anything I believe is substandard. I know many of you would accept compromises in order to get it in your hands faster, but that's not how I like to do things.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Know this: I absolutely will not market or sell anything I believe is substandard. I know many of you would accept compromises in order to get it in your hands faster, but that's not how I like to do things.
In the end, we appreciate your commitment to quality - it definitely sets your work apart... On the other hand, ship it already! :lol:

I know it has been suggested before, but I for one would be happy with LEAFSCAN as an iOS App. There must be some vendor out there able to supply cables that go from the car's data port to the iPhone/iPod's connector? Or maybe one that plugs right into the headphone jack? Even if someone doesn't have an iPhone, they could purchase an iPod touch for a very reasonable amount and use that as their LEAFSCAN. Even if it cost $50 for the specialized cable, and $150 for the App, I feel like that would probably wind up costing less than what Phil is going to have to charge once he gets LEAFSCAN built as a stand-alone device.

Just my $0.02...

NYLEAF said:
I know it has been suggested before, but I for one would be happy with LEAFSCAN as an iOS App. There must be some vendor out there able to supply cables that go from the car's data port to the iPhone/iPod's connector? Or maybe one that plugs right into the headphone jack? Even if someone doesn't have an iPhone, they could purchase an iPod touch for a very reasonable amount and use that as their LEAFSCAN. Even if it cost $50 for the specialized cable, and $150 for the App, I feel like that would probably wind up costing less than what Phil is going to have to charge once he gets LEAFSCAN built as a stand-alone device.

Just my $0.02...

They make ODBII to apple connectors and in fact they make ODBII connectors that connect via bluetooth, so I'm sure it's possible. But I think Phil's ship has sailed for LEAFSCAN - The Device! ;)

Ingineer said:
3D printing does not produce acceptable quality housings. I'd be better off buying a Radio Shack box.

-Phil

BRAVO!
You should be our next CA senator.

thankyouOB said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

BRAVO!

Why stop there. He would make a better president than ether of the two jokers we have running.

N952JL said:
thankyouOB said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

BRAVO!

Why stop there. He would make a better president than ether of the two jokers we have running.

+1

Amen, Phil for president!
That said, one more vote for an iPhone app with OBD plugin capability. But beggars can't be choosers, the Leaf community will take what The Wizard of Oz-watt gives us.
Thanks for your work and commitment on this, Phil.
JG

barsad22 said:
That said, one more vote for an iPhone app with OBD plugin capability. But beggars can't be choosers, the Leaf community will take what The Wizard of Oz-watt gives us.
JG

Many people think this is a great idea but after using a phone for information like this it ends up not being used. With applications like this a dedicated device is far superior as is gets used so often. The average user would think its cool for about three uses and then stop using it out of frustration. I have seen this over and over and over with apps in my business and customers stop using them because it is a hassel, too many "I told you so" moments. Of course there are people that must have everything on their phones but I doubt Nissan plans on a phone app to replace the dash instruments anytime soon. Of course some think the iphone makes a great TV remote as well until they get a call or try to change a channel.

+1!

EVDRIVER said:
barsad22 said:
JG
Many people think this is a great idea but after using a phone for information like this it ends up not being used. With applications like this a dedicated device is far superior as is gets used so often. The average user would think its cool for about three uses and then stop using it out of frustration. I have seen this over and over and over with apps in my business and customers stop using them because it is a hassel, too many "I told you so" moments. Of course there are people that must have everything on their phones but I doubt Nissan plans on a phone app to replace the dash instruments anytime soon. Of course some think the iphone makes a great TV remote as well until they get a call or try to change a channel.

I spoke with Phil about the idea of making LEAFSCAN as an iPad app, and he gave a lot of reasons why he thinks a dedicated device is a much better idea.

Among them I recall that he mentioned people don't want to have to remember to put their phone / iPad in the car every single time they drive, or loan out their phone / iPad if they loan the car to someone else, or take the device with them every time they leave the car for fear that someone might steal it.

But with that said, I always put my iPhone in a charging cradle in the car when I get in and take it out when I get out. But a bigger iPad would be a different story as it doesn't fit in my pocket.

I think there was some desire to have a device with dedicated CANbus to the car as well, not some (possibly laggy) Bluetooth to CANbus converter mechanism.

(Phil, sorry if I misquoted or mus-remembered part of what you said... It was a while ago.)

I agree with him completely. A dedicated device far and away makes the most sense.

TEG said:
I spoke with Phil about the idea of making LEAFSCAN as an iPad app, and he gave a lot of reasons why he thinks a dedicated device is a much better idea.

Among them I recall that he mentioned people don't want to have to remember to put their phone / iPad in the car every single time they drive, or loan out their phone / iPad if they loan the car to someone else, or take the device with them every time they leave the car for fear that someone might steal it.)

There are many other reasons too, and it becomes instantly obvious as soon as you try to live with it. Many people already use their phone as for music and nav, in addition to the occasional phone call. All of these would interfere with LEAFSCAN™ uses. In addition, many functions, such as logging and charging control would not be possible it LEAFSCAN™ was phone-based when you take it out when you park.

I consider the LEAFSCAN™ to now be a critical piece of my Leaf, as it does so much. I depend on it to control my 6.7kW charger, and even when driving I feel handicapped without it. It would stink to be dependant on another chunk external hardware to make it work, especially things like having to futz with it every single time I get in the car, and fighting with the sun to see the display.

A Dedicated LCD display doesn't really add that much cost, as we'd still need the processing/logging functions to live in the car, so why move it to an app? Plus I don't want to have to develop/maintain multiple apps for different platforms. If I do phone-based, I have to do iOS and Android too, and that still cuts out people like me running a different OS. (WebOS) What if Apple decides they don't want to allow my app after all the development and blocks me? Just way too many reasons not to go that route!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
There are many other reasons too, and it becomes instantly obvious as soon as you try to live with it. Many people already use their phone as for music and nav, in addition to the occasional phone call. All of these would interfere with LEAFSCAN™ uses. In addition, many functions, such as logging and charging control would not be possible it LEAFSCAN™ was phone-based when you take it out when you park.

I consider the LEAFSCAN™ to now be a critical piece of my Leaf, as it does so much. I depend on it to control my 6.7kW charger, and even when driving I feel handicapped without it. It would stink to be dependant on another chunk external hardware to make it work, especially things like having to futz with it every single time I get in the car, and fighting with the sun to see the display.

A Dedicated LCD display doesn't really add that much cost, as we'd still need the processing/logging functions to live in the car, so why move it to an app? Plus I don't want to have to develop/maintain multiple apps for different platforms. If I do phone-based, I have to do iOS and Android too, and that still cuts out people like me running a different OS. (WebOS) What if Apple decides they don't want to allow my app after all the development and blocks me? Just way too many reasons not to go that route!

-Phil

And all of the collective hearts of the MNL members sank to their feet when they got the end of Phil's post and realized he wasn't going to offer any current news about the availability of Leafscan. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back