Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it looks like Jimmy Sauer got the first one today. He lives south of Houston in Seabrook and works for NRG. And to think I was seriously sniping the site when the reservations came on line too. I guess having a few properly placed strings always helps. ;)

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/01/25/texas-first-nissan-leaf-owners-suburban-family-of-five/

caffeinekid said:
Well, it looks like Jimmy Sauer got the first one today. He lives south of Houston in Seabrook and works for NRG. And to think I was seriously sniping the site when the reservations came on line too. I guess having a few properly placed strings always helps. ;)

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/01/25/texas-first-nissan-leaf-owners-suburban-family-of-five/

Hey guys! Sorry for the radio silence, but there was good reason for it. I am the unbelievably fortunate one who got the LEAF yesterday. It all still seems completely surreal, but I can't wait to share some of what has happened and my experiences going forward. Details to come...

caffeinekid, I don't blame you one bit for the "strings" comment, it has set up fantastically for the companies involved, but from everything I've learned it's not what you think. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it either way :D But I have been thoroughly impressed with the integrity of everyone involved. I'll share more in the next few days...but I will say this, Shawn, it killed me reading your posts and not being able to respond. At the time I seriously considered seeing if the honor could be transfered but turns out the vehicle on the boat in the middle of the pacific was Blue, not one of the changeable options. Hang in there, it could be sooner than you think!

LEAF is sleeping quietly in the garage, completely refueled and ready to go for tomorrow!!

bluemoose said:
Hey guys! Sorry for the radio silence, but there was good reason for it. I am the unbelievably fortunate one who got the LEAF yesterday. It all still seems completely surreal, but I can't wait to share some of what has happened and my experiences going forward. Details to come...
Congrats, Jimmy! That's awesome about the 1K kick-in from work -- I think that's the first actual Texas incentive that I have seen. And it's very cool that the first Texan is on MyNissanLeaf -- I was worried that we were going to be under represented here.

Here's the Houston Chronicle story, too. Another good nugget in there is that the Houston HOV lanes will be available to the LEAF.

Now we just need to see more pictures!

edit: Did you go the cash and carry route on the EVSE? I'm still on the fence about my install.

I say congratulations Jimmy because if I was in your position I may have done the same thing. It could just be that someone canceled their reservation, the car was an orphan, it fit your specs, and car was then routed to you (leave me in my make believe land, I am just kidding). I think it was great publicity for an energy company for sure, and you and your cute family seem to fit the current all American marketing profile. I guess you wouldn't want some drunk, or the crazy toothless person from the trailer park, or an over the top drag queen (although that would be great), to be the face of the first car delivered in any state. When it got to about the third delivery, and they had whole back stories like American idol, I realized there was a whole production that when into the first deliveries in each state. So I really do hope you enjoy your car, and I think I can honestly say that I am happy for you. I say that coming form folks who don't recycle, monitor electric consumption, and probably have little interest in an electric car, its a great car and more importantly a great "do as I do, not do as I say" model you kids will pick up on.

Hmmm. ( Shawn thinks about what to say before he say it). I am still a little pissed at Nissan.
My engineering brain likes to know how things work, so I have been on top of this "leaf situation" since I heard about it about a little over a year ago. I read everything online and make sure I understand how the process was supposed to work. When the ordering process was explained I knew it was your place holder to allow you to order, then you order would dictate you place in the production line. With production sometimes the more options you order, the longer your car may take to get off the line, but I think Nissan is a first in first out production line. So I am not sure if options make a difference.
I skipped a day of school, sat home all day through all the glitches to get a reservation. I check my email constantly till the " time to order" email came, then I processed my order with my rep on the phone from the beginning to the end of the order process so she could confirm as soon as possible. We had a glitch because when you lease you never get a confirmation of your price just the lease payment amount. Then we figured out everything was based on MSRP, at that time anyway. After I processed my order I called the 7 dealerships in our area and not one had a Leaf order, so that's what I expected, I was surprised we were a launch state. In as much as I pretend that I should not have been at the very least close to the top of the list at one point I got a phone call from "someone" and they advised Nissan sent a message for them to call all customers in the first 1000 units ordered. Of course that could be 1000 in Texas, or the U.S so I didn't give it much thought.
About a month and a half ago, I was able to see list of orders (not being nosy or by accident), the list included our reservation confirmation. From what we could tell my reservation/order number was the oldest and of course my order was the first at the dealership and probably the first in Houston. If I remember correctly, I was told the next person to order at that dealership was one to two weeks after my order. (I bet I would not have been shown the order history if they knew I was not going to be the first order LOL) If you could have only heard the silence on the phone when I called and questioned, "Wasn't my order the first order? Then, why was my order, that was ordered on 9-10 going to be delivered till April and someone who ordered at least 1-2 weeks after my order was being delivered in January? ... it was priceless. I could feel the person on the other end was thinking, "I know it's not fear", the person didn't know what to say. At that point I was not happy with Nissan and this whole process. Everybody seem to be in the dark and there is no information to be found anywhere. I was planning on going to the event, but I didn't feel like seeing the reps who either don't have or can't provide any information to those of us still waiting on cars would not help my feeling toward Nissan right about now. I wonder how all the Cali folks feel knowing that someone in Texas has a Leaf ordered in October and they don't have their cars. I was stalking jhm614 because our order times were almost identical, and I thought even thought my order was completed first he got his confirmation email an hour before mine, so he was ahead of me on the production list.
I have not spoken with anyone at the dealership since the day I was told "we didn't have any control over who got their car when, it was all Nissan". At this point I am trying to decide do I really want to spend my money with Nissan, do I really want to service my car at a dealership who basically has no information or gets information at the same time the customer gets it? I have $21000 from selling my ICE car and saving for the last 10 months while sharing a car with my mom, so I feel great that I could stick with my plan this far. I am hoping this is just a period Nissan is going through as this is just the rough beginning of the launch. At the same time, I am thinking I can go buy a ford fusion hybrid or a Prius pay cash and go electric later. I was not a big "do as I do person" so that may not work. AHHHHHHHH! (Shawn falls to the floor) someone just kicked the soap box out from under me, I mean! I was just about to say longest post ever and The End.

Shawn,
Think about it. I put my $99 same day as you, but because I am not in privileged area(state) I won't be able to order till end of this year and it is just across TX border.

Richard
https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/

Well, the process seems to be "not fun" for everyone involved so I guess it may have been better to just let the cars be ordered from the dealerships, and do business as usual.

shawnbrig said:
At this point I am trying to decide do I really want to spend my money with Nissan, do I really want to service my car at a dealership who basically has no information or gets information at the same time the customer gets it?
That's what's so different with the LEAF. It's revolutionary in some ways. It's a whole new process, and so what you are experiencing is the "norm" (par for the course). And just because it is NEW and DIFFERENT ... should not be a significant argument to turn you away from the LEAF. This particular argument should pretty much be at the bottom of your "Cons" list. So long as your dealer is officially LEAF-certified ... no worries.

At least that's my opinion ... but wanted to make sure you're aware. :)

I do realize dealers are doing all they can do (sit and wait for instructions just like we are). Everything else aside, my brain and my feelings are asking, do I want to continue to be part of this year long process? No matter what I decide I will not cancel my order, the car will arrive and someone will purchase it right away, at least it will still be in the local area, and I will scream "good to see you" out the window as it passes by. LOL Thanks for your comment LEAFer.

shawnbrig said:
I do realize dealers are doing all they can do (sit and wait for instructions just like we are). Everything else aside, my brain and my feelings are asking, do I want to continue to be part of this year long process? No matter what I decide I will not cancel my order, the car will arrive and someone will purchase it right away, at least it will still be in the local area, and I will scream "good to see you" out the window as it passes by. LOL Thanks for your comment LEAFer.
But the real question is will you be happy with your decision of someone driving "your" car. If I will be in your shoes and sure that this is the car I want I will wait. Think what was the primary factor that you order this car. Beside all, in the sense this is a statement "I am all for new technology". Myself, I will wait quietly for another year for chance to order and then own. After my test drive I know that this is what I want as next car.

I am just going to take it easy for a while and see what happens, I just started working on my honors project which is essentially marketing the Leaf towards parents who have children that are of driving age and young drivers (18-35) as I bounce around the campus I am sure I will flip back to ... I Love the Nissan Leaf mode. Right now I am no longer in anticipation mode, I am in it is over yet mode.

shawnbrig said:
I am sure I will flip back to ... I Love the Nissan Leaf mode. Right now I am no longer in anticipation mode, I am in it is over yet mode.
VERY GOOD

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=GJKFCYZJCV83
https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=GJKFCYZJCV83

Hey guys! I know things aren't moving along as fast as we would like right now (i want you all out there with me, trust me, being the only one on the road has it's downsides), but in the grand scheme of things most of you are just moments away from your own personal automotive revolution. And don't forget buyers aren't the only ones feeling impatient, everyone I've spoken with the last couple weeks, up and down the chain at Nissan, dealerships, partners, etc are really wishing things were going faster. But from everything I've heard and read, it is all about getting it right with each and every vehicle. With such a small first batch, 1 or 2 duds could really affect things. The assembly line speed is being cranked up as each part of the process is validated. See article here:

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com...leaf-production-reach-full-capacity-end-march

The author of this is a little off because the demand was known last April, but the point is the manufacturing/mass production side takes time. I don't know how many of you knew this but those LEAFs we test drove at the traveling event were perhaps the most expensive cars any of us have ever sat in. I wasn't told any figures, but all of those were hand-built. Today they are coming off of an assembly line. I know none of this probably helps, but there are good reasons for the delay and ones that mostly likely we'd all be thankful for.

Now as far as my selection for the Jan delivery, I don't pretend to know the process that went on inside of Nissan, but from my experience here is what happened. As a senior Nissan executive attested to in several of the articles, the Houston area was selected for the stated reason. On top of that there was a particular vehicle available (color and factory options) for delivery. Those factors coupled with order date allowed them to select 5 candidates for the honor. Remember at that point, all they knew about anybody was what basic info was supplied on each person's reservation and order. On Wed morning, Jan 12th, I got a call telling me I was one of 5 potential recipients of the first LEAF. I was asked if I was interested and able to make myself available for the media events. Then I was asked to briefly tell a little about myself. During that conversation, I told them about how I became interested in the LEAF and how I was going to use it. I may have mentioned details about my family but I can't remember. I do remember feeling that it was a very comfortable conversation and yet I didn't think I would be upset if it wasn't us. We are definitely "behind the scenes" type people and just the prospect of all that attention gave me a good bit of anxiety that afternoon. I was told I would get a call back in a few hours to let us know one way or the other. Well, as you know, the call came back in the positive and I was told that they liked the idea that I had a 70 mile commute and wanted to promote the capabilities of the vehicle. It was then we talked about my above average height, fitting all the kids in, and I asked if it was going to be an issue that I worked for NRG. They checked and said it was fine. I was asked to keep it quiet and stay off the forum until everything was arranged and ready to go. The next week Clear Lake Nissan was notified and late in that week the announcement was made. So, that's the whole story from what I know. Much more methodical and serendipitous than many theories out there. It did work out really well from a marketing persepective with the partners involved, but as I participated in the prepartations it was clear that much of it was just an unexpected blessing that gave an added voice to the message the LEAF is bringing to the automotive world. Now that this dead horse is sufficiently beaten, I would be glad to answer any questions in the unlikely event that one exists.

As far as pictures go, the Internet Manager at Clear Lake Nissan, Yvonne, has done a great job at collecting many pictures and articles so let me direct you there instead of attempting my own version. It is on their facebook page, here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clear-Lake-Nissan/181353585220373?sk=wall

The events of last week were pretty well documented, so I won't spend time rehashing, except to say that it was an infinitely more fun and enjoyable experience than my initial anxiety had set me up for. In addition to the delivery event, we got to participate in a presentation at the Auto Show media day on Wed. Besides getting to hang out with some of the amazing people we got to meet over the last 2 weeks, the highlight for me was getting to drive the LEAF there and back! And on the way home, I met up with one of the eVgo guys to try out a DC Quick Charge. I can share more about that later if anyone cares.

Finally, to address the present situation! This car is AWESOME! I could go on and on, but instead of that I'll try to respond to questions that any of you might have to keep the posts relevant. So ask away, anything is fair game and I hope I can help in some way.

And because I can't resist and am trying to best Shawn's neverending post, one quick story from earlier today. My obsessively competitive nature has caused me up to this point to almost exclusively focus on how to get the highest possible average mi/kWh. CARWINGS has a ranking system within your region of the best averages and I was determined to be number 1 (besides how many others could there be in my region anyway?). After the first few days I was #5 with a 4.8 average and the polite navigation lady (who you'll soon get to meet in your own LEAF) informed me that the top average was 8 point something. So this morning, knowing there wouldn't be many other cars on the road, I decided to do whatever it took to achieve > 8 avg during my 19 mile round trip to church. I drove excruciatingly slow, accelerated slowly, coasted at all possible times and was only able to get a 5.5 avg. The only thing I got more than 8 of was middle fingers and curse words hurled in my direction! So before I give the LEAF a bad name on the road, I'm retiring from my quest for the top driving efficiency. Maybe one of you will have better luck or more skill (or maybe a nonstop downhill route?!). Btw, if 8+ was in any way sustainable, wouldn't that mean an almost 200 mile range?

If you made it this far, you are a true LEAF enthusiast, or my mother. Hi Mom!

Jimmy
<highly informative signature pending>

jhm614 said:
Did you go the cash and carry route on the EVSE? I'm still on the fence about my install.

No, I went with eVgo. As I investigated more into the positives that they bring to the table it really became an easy decision. I think everyone here knows the obvious benefits (if not check out https://www.evgonetwork.com/). But the one that kept growing in my mind is the vast potential of having a smart, aka connected, EVSE. With it eVgo will be able to reimburse your electric provider under the complete plan, but you will also have that data available to learn from, double check calculations, billing, etc. They also have some neat apps planned that make use the smart EVSE.

Also my experience with the DC Quick Charge equipment, made me glad I chose eVgo. I can really envision now what it might be like stopping into a Best Buy or Walgreens and coming out fully charged.

Let me know if you have any other questions about my experiences so far.

Jimmy

Jimmy...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was good to hear how getting your LEAF came to be.

I am going to be lagging behind most in the forum here getting my LEAF. I had some issues getting my preferred dealership to appear and get the RAQ properly filed, so it was November before my order was confirmed.

I did sign up with eVgo in December, after I had already placed my order without a QC port. I have now gone back and added a QC port and changed my color. So I hope the QC was a great experience Jimmy. Where was the location that you used? Their offices off of I-10?

Unsurprisingly my status is still "Pending" for delivery. I could be waiting a long time before I get my car.

windpoweredleaf said:
I did sign up with eVgo in December, after I had already placed my order without a QC port. I have now gone back and added a QC port and changed my color. So I hope the QC was a great experience Jimmy. Where was the location that you used? Their offices off of I-10?

Great to meet another eVgo member. You were in there before I was! I heard there is going to be a get-together in the near future for the initial eVgo signees who I believe they're calling "Founders". I hope to meet you there.

Great move on the QC, I'm glad that let you make the adjustment. I believe any further delay that it may cause your order will be well worth it in the long run. I'm already very glad that I went for it. It seems like an indispensable option to have just in case even if you don't end up using it often.

The location I used is unfortunately inside an NRG machine shop near 45 S and the Beltway. The equipment is not UL approved so only NRG employees are allowed to use it in its present state. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. That DC nozzle is quite a thing when you first see it and takes two hands to make the connection (at least the first time). It dumped almost 10 kWh in 28 mins before it shut off at the 20% reserve point. And very predictably the range computer reported a 42 mile increase, which would have taken almost 3 hours on a Level 2.

I can't wait to see your LEAF color in person. There were many vehicles at the Auto Show with what I think is basically the same color and it is definitely not a plain white. It looked really sharp and should be striking on the LEAF.

windpoweredleaf said:
Unsurprisingly my status is still "Pending" for delivery. I could be waiting a long time before I get my car.

Hey, my status said Pending until the day before my delivery so don't give up hope! I know they are wanting to deliver everything in the current pipeline by summer so we'll see how things start picking up.

bluemoose. the article by manufacturingdigital indicated that a Nissan representative said that Nissan has made 1,000 Leafs so far. Other articles have indicated 3,000. Did any of the Nissan people you spoke with indicate the accuarcy of the number of Leafs made to date.

stanley said:
bluemoose. the article by manufacturingdigital indicated that a Nissan representative said that Nissan has made 1,000 Leafs so far. Other articles have indicated 3,000. Did any of the Nissan people you spoke with indicate the accuarcy of the number of Leafs made to date.

No. I didn't hear any specific numbers, just general goals and expectations. Like they are still shooting for all the initial orders to be delivered by summer and start taking new orders in the Fall. Also, specific to Texas, that the other deliveries should begin about 60 days from the first delivery (so, end of March) in essentially the order of orders placed.

Sorry I don't really have any better info to tell you. The is ball is really in the hands of the plant managers right now and they are doing what they think is necessary to make a quality product.

edit: here's an article that states they are making 2000/month right now (over 65 a day). but here is the part that was suprising to me, but maybe is normal for auto plants:
The Leaf gets assembled on the same line that also makes three other compact models — all regular gasoline engine cars.

The line is rather hectic because workers must put in a motor when the Leaf rolls by, but install an engine for the other models.

Right now, only every car in about six or seven is a Leaf.

Jimmy, I haven't seen anyone with a LEAF answer this question yet: How accurate is the speedometer and odometer? Could you please check with a GPS? Thanks!

Back