LEAF wreck. Oh, the horror!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm interested in it to make a test bench setup with all the various systems exposed. Having this kind of a setup will make it much easier to gather data and to develop more cool things for the Leaf, and possibly even certain things I wouldn't try without it! (Firmware, etc.)

I'm no body expert, but I don't think this car is economically rebuildable where it could be done properly and still make money selling the car. The cost and access to the Consult III+ system which is definitely needed to do many things, is a substantial hindrance to any "diy" or small body shops that would want to take it on.

The cost of all those airbags is significant, and then it appears the whole front part of the unibody is heavily damaged. It's likely that the transaxle is also damaged. I would bet the inverter is ok, and it appears the battery is intact, but it's housing could be compromised and distorted beyond re-seal.

I'm going to bid on it? Who else? I don't want to get in a bidding war with someone here!

-Phil

Having some knowledge with how salvaged cars are made, I have owned 2 salvaged cars. I would not think that a salvager would have a lot of interest in this Leaf. As Phil said, it is not salvageable. Once (and if ever) Leafs become mainstream, then some salvager might buy it for the parts of the car that are not damaged to make another Leaf whole. But that time is not here.
Someone could make the case that the battery pack alone is worth +\- $10000, but then what would you do with it?
The only people that will bid this would be other ev enthusiasts.

$15,000+ to repair plus $35 00 purchase price and the stigma of a salvage ttitle? Iwould be surprised to see anyone paymuch more than $5-6000 for it

wreck might have its advantages.
you get the state rebate and the tax credit, then the insurance company pays you for the car. you are working off the sales price, as the other two items are your own business.
then you buy a new one.

So, did someone here get it? Looks like the sale status has changed suggesting it was sold?? Just curious what it went for...

As an aside, they also have 3 Chevy Volts up for action as well. Two of them look like they have cherry drive trains. They all appear to have intact batteries.

That one black Volt looks like nothing is wrong with it! For $1000 it would be worth it for me just to buy, and put in the back yard for parts. I need the charging relay anyway for mine now. Certaintly interesting to see them sitting there. Anyone notice they have a Tesla Roadster as well? It looks like it was driven over a curb as it is bent up in the middle.. Such a shame.

Roadburner440 said:
That one black Volt looks like nothing is wrong with it! For $1000 it would be worth it for me just to buy, and put in the back yard for parts. I need the charging relay anyway for mine now. Certaintly interesting to see them sitting there. Anyone notice they have a Tesla Roadster as well? It looks like it was driven over a curb as it is bent up in the middle.. Such a shame.
The site being referenced is a broker site, but I'm pretty sure I saw that one (Volt) on the actual auctioneer's sight listed as a flood vehicle.

Besides, are salvaged LEAF parts really worth anything? Who needs them, the entire fleet of LEAFs out there is under the bumper-to-bumper warranty for two more years, so anyone with a problem just has Nissan replace whatever needs replacing under warranty. As for crash parts, well that car pretty much did in a lot of the ones that might be of value: fenders, hood, bumper cover. The LEAFs on the road are likely well-insured, and owners are going to want any repairs made with new parts. It's a few years out when you're going to have people trying to fix cars on the cheap a car like this has value. JMO.

Yeah. If you've seen the "ObamaVolt" video I get places faster for fear of my life cause my car is on fire. :mrgreen: Ironically I did have 2 Pontiac Fiero's for my first car. Maybe I am just attracted to disasters on wheels? As sad as it is I get a chuckle everytime I watch it just cause I drive one everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avLKiWi71cE&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
Besides, are salvaged LEAF parts really worth anything? Who needs them, the entire fleet of LEAFs out there is under the bumper-to-bumper warranty for two more years, so anyone with a problem just has Nissan replace whatever needs replacing under warranty. As for crash parts, well that car pretty much did in a lot of the ones that might be of value: fenders, hood, bumper cover. The LEAFs on the road are likely well-insured, and owners are going to want any repairs made with new parts. It's a few years out when you're going to have people trying to fix cars on the cheap a car like this has value. JMO.
Not for this leaf but for several of the Volts and just about anything else recent with primarily rear-end damage, the air bags are worth their weight in gold to body shops!

If I can stray back on topic. If one of our 2 interested buyers on the forum (both being west coast peeps) actually acquire this Leaf, I'd guess the shipping will be in the neighborhood of $1,700. The shipping guess is based of prior purchases/shipping a couple vehicles from across the nation ... one from Lancaster PA, and one from Corpus Christi TX.

hill said:
If I can stray back on topic. If one of our 2 interested buyers on the forum (both being west coast peeps) actually acquire this Leaf, I'd guess the shipping will be in the neighborhood of $1,700. The shipping guess is based of prior purchases/shipping a couple vehicles from across the nation ... one from Lancaster PA, and one from Corpus Christi TX.
I can get it here for around $400-$500. It's under 600 miles.

-Phil

DoxyLover said:
Not for this leaf but for several of the Volts and just about anything else recent with primarily rear-end damage, the air bags are worth their weight in gold to body shops!
Also keep in mind you need to replace the seats (airbags in them now) as well!

For that reason alone, I think the rear-hit Volt is going to go pretty high!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
hill said:

-Phil
Excelent! ... I'd read the auction site wrong ... as though the Leaf (maybe just the auction folks not the car) were now located back east, rather than Oregon.

Ingineer said:
hill said:

-Phil

If I get it, I'll just fly up and get a Uhaul one way (unless I can find shipping cheaper.

I don't need to replace airbags, since I intend to use this offroad.

Back