Leaf owners unite! Easier to reach charge port release lever

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RikiTiki

Nissan why is the charge port door release so low and hard to reach when its an almost every day thing to pull it??? The charge port release lever is down to low and its starting to give me back problems.

Lets unite and request that new leafs need to have a higher more easy to reach charge port door release lever or even add a charge port multi-press button to the handy keyless remote so we can access the port without having to go into the car to pop the manual lever/button.

Seriously The charge port release lever is down so low it gives me back problems just thinking about it.

Add Electric release or at the very least raise the manual lever to open the charge port door to a higher more easy to reach position on the dash. Its way to low on the dash for an everyday pull switch/lever location. Please listen Nissan this car is to cool to have such a archaic method as the only method to open its charge port door!

=)

signed,
RikiTiki - Nissan Leaf guru!

RikiTiki said:
Lets unite and request that new leafs need to have a higher more easy to reach charge port door release lever or even add a charge port multi-press button to the handy keyless remote so we can access the port without having to go into the car to pop the manual lever/button.
Minor annoyance for me, basically a non-issue re: my owning/driving of the Leaf. Others may feel differently.

Stoaty said:
Minor annoyance for me, basically a non-issue re: my owning/driving of the Leaf. Others may feel differently.

Any annoyance is to much annoyance on a car this cool & futuristic! Lets help Nissan make it better for older and younger drivers alike! The Nissan Leaf is not a truck to ONLY have hard to reach pull levers as the ONLY means to access important things - even the cheaper cars have electric trunk releases & more. Lets go Nissan this is an easy one to fix ASAP! =)

It's a minor annoyance. I usually pull it after I've stepped out of the car. Now if they had Full Serve EV charging stations, and I lived in a rainy part of the world, I might be more ticked off about it. :lol: But as it is....nah.

It has become force of habit to me... As I pull in to the garage, my left hand reaches down, slides over from the left to the first handle, and opens it... I rarely ever miss or forget.

mwalsh said:
It's a minor annoyance. I usually pull it after I've stepped out of the car. Now if they had Full Serve EV charging stations, and I lived in a rainy part of the world, I might be more ticked off about it. :lol: But as it is....nah.

As a new LEAF owner, my primary charging problem has been to remember to close the charging hatch when I remove the charging cord. :) For some reason my brain focuses entirely on placing the charging "nozzle" back in its proper place, so I'm often already backing out of my garage before I realize that I've forgotten to close the hatch again. :roll:

It is kind of a industry standard location for a front hood release lever. maybe that is why Nissan located it there. So we know where to look.

KeithFrechette said:
As a new LEAF owner, my primary charging problem has been to remember to close the charging hatch when I remove the charging cord. :) For some reason my brain focuses entirely on placing the charging "nozzle" back in its proper place, so I'm often already backing out of my garage before I realize that I've forgotten to close the hatch again. :roll:

Don't do that, but I have left the orange port cover open and closed the hatch down before today. Probably not a good idea in rainy climes! :?

I'm with the OP, the position sucks. Not a problem does not equal well located. They could have put the steering wheel 4 inches to the right and it wouldn't be a problem but would definitely be annoying. Electric release would really be nice.

kevin672 said:
I'm with the OP, the position sucks. Not a problem does not equal well located. They could have put the steering wheel 4 inches to the right and it wouldn't be a problem but would definitely be annoying. Electric release would really be nice.

+100, super stupid location. Should be a button on dash or some other method.

The release could be positioned more conveniently. But it's not a big annoyance to me. I normally release the charging port door when I drive into the garage before getting out of the car, whether or not I intend to plug in right then. Usually I come back some time later and plug in. If I happen to go out again that evening then I just have to remember to push the door closed again on my way to get in the car.

It is not a switch, it is a lever that pulls a cable,
so it cannot be put just anywhere.

It has a semi-circular cutout in the end of the lever,
so it is easy to find by feel. No looking required.

I usually pull the lever with my right hand,
when I am on the way out of the car.

I have no frequent need to have the hatch open
if I am not leaving the car.

So, it works fine for me.

It should be electric, it was a quick implementation clearly. Many times I go back to plug in and a button would be much easier. Most cars have easier access to the gas door and they are not used as often.

It is an annoyance to me as well. I can live with it, but I would definitely prefer having it in a more accessible location, considering I have to pull it every day. It's not like a hood or fuel release lever that only gets pulled once every few weeks.

Back