Leaf owners unite! Easier to reach charge port release lever

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
Reportedly, Tesla just introduced proprietary plug technology. They seem to have a rather interestingly designed charge port door as well. It opens when the charge plug is in the proximity:

Tesla Model S is also a $80,000 luxury car, it should have some cool features.

For $80K it should plug itself in! :lol:

I have mostly developed the habit of pulling the release before I get
out of the car. I come back later to plug in, but the door is already
unlatched and I don't have to unlock the car. Works out well for me.

It would be nice to have a release button on the fob though.

The existing latch position is second nature for me now. A remote release button on the FOB would be 'nice to have', if it was standard equipment, as I am unlikely to buy it as an option.

I actually prefer a spring latch, as I don't have too much concern about someone 'siphoning' fuel from my e-tank. I realize that might not be practical due to the current location, but in future designs, perhaps the charge port can be moved to the side or rear.

i prolly said it above.
I think the latch and the location of the release lever are just fine, maybe even perfect.
Ditto the location of the charge port.
I wish the car had fold down rear seats like the volvo wagon, where the seat base snaps 90 degrees to fill the foot well and the back folds down to make the entire area flat.
The seat fold down in the Leaf is pretty much a loser except for certain applications.

Considering where most chargers are placed, a rear port would be very inconvenient. Personally, I think the front is ideal.

mbutter said:
I realize that might not be practical due to the current location, but in future designs, perhaps the charge port can be moved to the side or rear.

RikiTiki said:
The charge port should be easier to open without bending because my back still hurts for no reason other then a lax oversight to move a charge port pull lever that was ment from everyday use, away from a HOOD pull lever that was ment for once a month use. Please Nissan move the lever higher or add a button to the keyless remote ASAP. Thanks!
I agree - even though I don't find it difficult to open this - from an ergonomics point of view, the everyday use items should be easily located.

I locate the lever by feel (well done, Nissan) and pull the lever
with my right hand as I turn to exit the car.

So, it works fine for me, even if I have to reach in from outside the car.

Yes, I want it securely latched so that access is quite difficult
for somebody who cannot enter the car.

That helps keep dirt, sand, and glue out of the sockets.

Just got my leaf and agree there should not be any release inside the car. I often get out without releasing the charge port door.

+1

Are ya'll really concerned about people stealing your electrons?!?! Really?

green01 said:
I'd prefer no charge port release lever at all.

I thought a fueling release lever was added to cars to prevent gas theft.  Keeping it for an electric car seems silly.  

A spring mechanism for the charge port cover could assure the cover stays closed while driving, yet will flip open for charging.  

Why make charging more complicated than it needs to be?  

garygid said:
The present cutout-marked lever works well for me.
No, NOT an outside release, for security, as is done with a gas-filler release.
OK, Gary, I'll bite. What sort of security? I know you're far too knowledgeable to worry about someone siphoning your electrons out, or pouring sugar into them. And you also obviously know that no kid is going to get a 400v shock by poking hairpins into the QC port. As for pouring cement into the ports, it would be a lot easier to key the doors and puncture the tires.

Ray

I have no issue with the current location. I would only marginally prefer an electric release. How about a behavior like the hatch? Auto-unlock when the car is turned off, etc.

what???

I do like the idea of a fob button - would not want to pay the extra money for that high end package, but it would be a nice touch.

yes that would be nice, added to smart key system. but would not want it if it eliminated a manual latch. i can tell you that a smart key system spoils one quickly if discounting the putting in/ removing from pocket action. i have to say i go MONTHS between physical interactions with my key

A spring mechanism for the charge port cover could assure the cover stays closed while driving, yet will flip open for charging.

would it?? the gas door has virtually no air flow on it. the charging hatch is subject to extensive up air flow and your suggestion presents a challenge

getting a spring strong enough to resist all those whoop de dos your front end encounters in its daily journeys. which will probably get complaints from people whining that its too hard to open...i much prefer a latch

but your suggestion could work if it was double latched. a finger hole to pop it looose, then reach in like a hood latch to pull the release.

interesting conversation here. overall;

1) i can live with it (better than paying $30 a week for gas!!)

2) electric?? have an electric unlock for the Prius hatch along with a "slightly" inconvenient manual release. trust me, you do not want electric. Prius owners who have ever had their 12 volt battery die will understand

3)cable reliability depends on use and the run of the cable. at first i thought it would make sense to put it where the gas door release is...but then again, it would require a couple of bends which would not be good and then i thought about it and realized the gas door handle is really not all that much easier to reach which tells me this location issue is not really one which brings to mind another "cable" ie the emergency brake cable.

as we know, this is electric. no manual control. but this is also a cable that has too many bends which means its prone to failure. i have had a brake cable break and its really not that tough a job to replace...

but wait!! that was on a mid 80's Toyota Corolla that was pretty much wide open underneath. those types of cars are long gone so i would not welcome a 2nd shot at that task, so i do understand and welcome the electric emergency brake latch.

I would prefer if the hatch opened upon depressing it (like agas cap) *IF* you had your key fob with you. Sometimes when using a public EVSE I forget to pop the hatch because I reach for the RFID card and forget the release. Otherwise the internal release is OK.

philaphonic said:
I think the OP has raised a valid issue, i.e., accomodation for those of us who are less physically able to operate routine items like this lever. His case may be so uncommon though that a retrofit, rather than a redesign, might be the best overall solution.

Believe me, I'm not poking fun -- my wife has serious back problems. But since a change from Nissan will be slow in coming, if at all, might I suggest the following retrofit?

p339528b.jpg

Your garden-variety back-scratcher is lightweight, relatively easy to stow, gets the job done with a minimum of bending and lends a certain wry humor to the situation.

Nubo, I like your response! :)

The fact is, the OP already has a LEAF. Any new design that comes along would not apply to their car, so an alternative solution needs to be found. Yours (or some variation) may be it.

Back