LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I got there. One mildly disturbing thing, and one VERY disturbing thing:

* You have to pay extra for the heatpump (and seat and wheel heaters) in the SV. Maybe even in the SL?

* There is NO DAMNED SURROUND VIEW LISTED. Did those idiots really drop it, or is this an oversight? Did they move it to SL trim only???

EDIT: no cloth available for the SL, and no surround view mentioned. I HOPE it's part of the Pro Pilot package.

I wouldn't count on the autobytel configurator to be completely accurate.

If it is, That's a hell of a value for only $900 (list) in the SV tech package!

SV Technology Package $900 $791
GEN code: TE1

6-Way Power Driver Seat w/2-Way Lumbar
Auto-Dimming Inside Mirror
Universal Garage Door Opener
LED Headlights
LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
Portable Charge Cable
Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB)
Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
Electric Parking Brake (EPKB)
High Beam Assist (HBA)
Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Propilot Assist
Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2018/configurator/

If those prices are accurate, it looks like the SV with the two packages is the sweet spot! Although a Stripper S with that 40kWh battery seems like a heck of deal...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Given these extras, I think it's still possible that they're hiding a bigger pack for the reveal.

There's a $4k price difference between the SV and SL, both fully optioned. So a bigger battery is the only thing that's making sense to me too. Price wise, it would be on par with the Bolt and Model 3 in terms of price/battery size.

edatoakrun said:
2018 Nissan Leaf: first glimpse at specs and prices

...Notice that the 2018 Nissan Leaf is bigger and heavier than the outgoing 2017 version. However, Nissan managed to make it more efficient by improving the aerodynamics and the powertrain.

The specs of the electric motor (110 kW) and battery (40 kWh) offered without a price increase...
http://pushevs.com/2017/08/07/2018-nissan-leaf-first-glimpse-specs-prices/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2018/specifications/

https://www.autobytel.com/nissan/leaf/2018/configurator/

I'm a little bit disappointed that it seams to be ~110 Lbs heavier, and have no more interior space than the Gen 1, if the autobytel specs are to be believed.

Not looking too good (so far) for the significant efficiency gains I was hoping for.

Color limitations, no tech package especially when its only $900 (Elon, how you noticed this...) means 2018 will be the death of the S trim.

LeftieBiker said:
I tried using the configurator, but it's stuck on the S model. I want to know what options the SV and SL will have, although the big bump in price for the SL will likely result in me getting another SV, even if the SL has cloth seating available now.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I pretty much nailed this quite a while ago. They reused most of Leaf 1, with a nearly 150HP motor and 40kwh pack, giving them enormous savings in production and development costs. Unless they really screwed up, this Leaf should be fun to drive even at highway speeds, while having the range that most (but not all) of us need and a very good price. I hope the pack is better than the 30kwh 'Canary' they use now, and there aren't any production glitches.

One slip. So the configurator does work! Can the pro Pilot package be added to the SV?

yes

Ok, the 2018 will likely be the death of the S trim. Tech package is $900 on on SV/SL. Simply too cheap to pass up!

SV Technology Package $900 $791
GEN code: TE1

6-Way Power Driver Seat w/2-Way Lumbar
Auto-Dimming Inside Mirror
Universal Garage Door Opener
LED Headlights
LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
Portable Charge Cable
Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB)
Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
Electric Parking Brake (EPKB)
High Beam Assist (HBA)
Intelligent Lane Intervention (I-LI)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Propilot Assist
Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)

ninja6r said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Given these extras, I think it's still possible that they're hiding a bigger pack for the reveal.

There's a $4k price difference between the SV and SL, both fully optioned. So a bigger battery is the only thing that's making sense to me too. Price wise, it would be on par with the Bolt and Model 3 in terms of price/battery size.

Putting the big battery in the SL is also something I predicted, albeit quite a while ago now. I agree that the price differential could be for that reason. If so I'd hate to be a vegetarian who needed the 60kwh battery...

LeftieBiker said:
ninja6r said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Putting the big battery in the SL is also something I predicted, albeit quite a while ago now. I agree that the price differential could be for that reason. If so I'd hate to be a vegetarian who needed the 60kwh battery...

puts it in same price range as the Bolt but with MUCH better tech

LeftieBiker said:
Yeah, I got there. One mildly disturbing thing, and one VERY disturbing thing:

* You have to pay extra for the heatpump (and seat and wheel heaters) in the SV. Maybe even in the SL?

* There is NO DAMNED SURROUND VIEW LISTED. Did those idiots really drop it, or is this an oversight? Did they move it to SL trim only???

EDIT: no cloth available for the SL, and no surround view mentioned. I HOPE it's part of the Pro Pilot package.

lot of weirdness there. I wouldn't be setting anything in concrete. Besides, why should heat pump continue to be an option? It should be standard across all trims

**edit**

ok, I do see "hybrid heater" on the climate package and its double the price of the S climate (without hybrid heater)

hmmm... that sucks. This makes for a tough decision

They are trying to cut production costs, and offering the heat pump (and the seat & wheel heaters) for about what it costs them to add it makes sense, as not everyone buying a Leaf needs it. Still, it seems wrong to not have it standard on the SV, and the resale value will be harmed for those sold without it.

LeftieBiker said:
They are trying to cut production costs, and offering the heat pump (and the seat & wheel heaters) for about what it costs them to add it makes sense, as not everyone buying a Leaf needs it. Still, it seems wrong to not have it standard on the SV, and the resale value will be harmed for those sold without it.

well, I agree a lot of people won't want it so optioning it is the fairer way to do it so where is the TMS option? :)

I don't need it but some might like it.

LeftieBiker said:

There was some efficiency hit in the cooling cycle between heat pump and AC only. So for the regions that have a strong preference for AC cooling, it's better to have an AC only option for all trim levels.

One thing that doesn't make sense is to tie seat and steering wheel heat in with the heat pump, because they represent the best way to improve range when driving with the heater off. So now you get to choose between "maximum efficiency" and "worst efficiency" with nothing in between. Also, those with chronic back pain will now have to pay $900 for a heated driver's seat.

LeftieBiker said:
One thing that doesn't make sense is to tie seat and steering wheel heat in with the heat pump, because they represent the best way to improve range when driving with the heater off. So now you get to choose between "maximum efficiency" and "worst efficiency" with nothing in between. Also, those with chronic back pain will now have to pay $900 for a heated driver's seat.

only $450 on S trim....well sort of. Have to have charge package too but that is a requirement for me anyway

Sort of a minor thing, but would be nice to have: Telescoping steering wheel? (Current Leafs only have tilt).

2018 Nissan Leaf: first glimpse at specs and prices

...Notice that the 2018 Nissan Leaf is bigger and heavier than the outgoing 2017 version. However, Nissan managed to make it more efficient by improving the aerodynamics and the powertrain.

The specs of the electric motor (110 kW) and battery (40 kWh) offered without a price increase...

Yes, everything pointed to 40 kWh as I wrote many times. Will be cheaper than Bolt by $7k and Model 3 by $5k (and available earlier for most).

Another thing to note - options are much cheaper than Model 3. AP for eg. is $5k - tech package in Leaf 2 is $900.

So, 160 miles for $30k Leaf or get 50% more range of Bolt for $7.5k more. Wonder which one will sell more.

I think that GM will start dumping Bolts at good prices, both because they have a bit of a glut of them, and to trip up Nissan. It will be an interesting Fall and Winter, that's for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back