Nissan : EV batteries must deliver 300 km (186 m) to compete

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There is no problem with the technology -- only with the cost and profitability," Kwon said of battery EVs. "We cannot make a profit with them."

That sounds good for the consumer, doesn't it? (well, the profitability at least, not the cost) :)

I don't care so much about the tech. When there is a H2 car as convenient to fuel at home as my Leaf and as cheap to run, I'll buy one.
But I am suspicious of the motives. H2 sounds like a more complex machine based on a centralized (gas like) distribution system.

We all have been paying a lot for H2 research, with generous tax funded grants for many years.
The results so far are dismal. A bunch of photo ops, trials, few compliance cars, prototypes and promises.

It is my impression that we, taxpayers, did not fund nearly as much battery research, with much better results.
Sure, Tesla and Nissan got some loans, but afaik those were repaid (Tesla at least).

We all have been paying a lot for H2 research said:
If you were around in the 1990's, the DOE put a lot of money in battery development in the USABC and PNGV programs. I was associated with those programs, and IMO the outcome was that Toyota commercialized the Prius and Nissan, the LEAF. The US auto companies' vision extended only one quarter ahead.

If you were around in the 1990's, the DOE put a lot of money in battery development in the USABC and PNGV programs. I was associated with those programs, and IMO the outcome was that Toyota commercialized the Prius and Nissan, the LEAF. The US auto companies' vision extended only one quarter ahead.

I was around, but too young to care :)
At least we got something back after all those programs. I had no idea about them to be honest.

Does anyone know how much the govt spent on H2 vs. battery tech for autos?

AndyH said:
HydrogenChart.jpg

Hmmm...thanks for the look back to 2006. As we're now in mid-2014 and have not only a profitable wind to H2 plant in operation and 17 more under construction, but we also have Audi's renewables to fuel plant, wind to H2 and wind to ammonia plants in the US.
The question is - has the basic science changed between 2006 and 2014 ? The answer is NO.

evnow said:
The question is - has the basic science changed between 2006 and 2014 ? The answer is NO.
I have the same question. I've heard Andy suggest that may be the case, but with neither firm numbers nor citations. He sounds annoyed that we readers aren't paying enough attention, and perhaps if I had carefully read 600 pages of postings in 50 threads :) I would have the exact figures and citations in front of me, but I don't.

So, if Prof. Bossel's chart were redone with today's commercially feasible numbers, what would it look like? And next, if the chart were redone with anticipated near term improvements on both the electrical and the hydrogen side what would it look like? And upon what scientific and commercial breakthroughs are those improvements predicated?

If federal or state government were deciding where better to spend $100M to lower CO2 emissions, should they choose hydrogen or BEV infrastructure or some of each? From what I've read to date each dollar spent on hydrogen, to the extent it takes from BEV, significantly increases CO2 emissions. Yet eventually I do believe hydrogen will replace petroleum, so where will the tipping point be?

AndyH said:
HydrogenChart.jpg

Hmmm...thanks for the look back to 2006. As we're now in mid-2014 and have not only a profitable wind to H2 plant in operation and 17 more under construction, but we also have Audi's renewables to fuel plant, wind to H2 and wind to ammonia plants in the US.
Profitable wind to H2? Where is that?

Profitable tells me they will be springing up everywhere without government help. I don't see it.

Here is Andy's reply. He doesn't dispute the calculations, just says that they aren't relevant. I think that in an age of climate change and the fact that all forms of energy production have some level of carbon emissions over their whole life cycle, efficiency is extremely important.

AndyH said:
I've already talked about efficiency, Stoaty - it's still red herring. The 'expert' isn't necessarily 'wrong' based on the 2006 date and the pretty poor bounds - but we have new electrolyzers, new fuel cells, and new assumptions - and that completely changes the picture.

Stoaty said:
Here is Andy's reply. He doesn't dispute the calculations, just says that they aren't relevant. I think that in an age of climate change and the fact that all forms of energy production have some level of carbon emissions over their whole life cycle, efficiency is extremely important.

AndyH said:
I've already talked about efficiency, Stoaty - it's still red herring. The 'expert' isn't necessarily 'wrong' based on the 2006 date and the pretty poor bounds - but we have new electrolyzers, new fuel cells, and new assumptions - and that completely changes the picture.
This thread is too much like the early threads on this board - nobody had their Leaf yet, yet everyone was 'sure' that they had the right answer. Except with this thread, in spite of the facts already presented, sources cited, and experts quoted, it's decayed again into a "I don't believe in H2 therefore FCEV won't work." mode.

What's changed since 2006 is that we have new fuel cell membranes that use lower quantities of expensive catalysts, we have new polymers, we've had much more R&D. Pumping losses are much lower because we have electrolyzers that can push 400+ bar with no pump. Fuel cell efficiency is higher, prices are dramatically lower, storage tanks are better, sensors are mature, power electronics has made huge strides. FCEVs are hitting the market now because mobile equipment is ready for volume to bring prices down.

As I said before, I was in line to beta test a stationary fuel cell in the 1990s and was researching the mobile and stationary fuel cell industry for stock opportunities. Today's landscape is completely different and NONE of my old research is useful. I tossed about 20 pounds of paper because it's useless.

Today, because of all the work that's been done since 2006, we have companies installing wind-to-H2 facilities as a pillar of the Third Industrial Revolution process that are returning 10+% ROI - and those numbers hold both in Europe and North America. That's why H2 storage of formerly curtailed wind is less expensive than any battery.

Yes, carbon is important - but fossil carbon is the problem, not all carbon. We have more renewables on-line now and the growth rate is geometric - something else that's changed since 2006.

AndyH said:
What's changed since 2006 is that we have new fuel cell membranes that use lower quantities of expensive catalysts, we have new polymers, we've had much more R&D. Pumping losses are much lower because we have electrolyzers that can push 400+ bar with no pump. Fuel cell efficiency is higher, prices are dramatically lower, storage tanks are better, sensors are mature, power electronics has made huge strides. FCEVs are hitting the market now because mobile equipment is ready for volume to bring prices down.
So, what is the new graph instead of Bossel's oft-quoted one from above ? Has it gone up from 23 kWh to 30 kWh or to 70 kWh ?

If efficiency has indeed gone up to be competitive with BEV, I'm ready to reconsider my position (only we'll have to start talking economics).

One thing no-one wants to say is that a future with no-fossil fuels is a energy starved future. In the last couple of hundreds we hit a once in a planet's life jackpot with all that highly condensed dense energy - that will not repeat. In such a future where energy is limited, efficiency counts for a lot.

Yes, even BEV is not efficient compared to mass transit - but then, our biggest infrastructure is housing and that is not going to change anytime soon. The sub-urban infrastructure doesn't lend itself to mass transit.

evnow said:
AndyH said:
So, what is the new graph instead of Bossel's oft-quoted one from above ? Has it gone up from 23 kWh to 30 kWh or to 70 kWh ?
Catch up with Reinventing Fire and the Third Industrial Revolution and you'll realize the question is no longer relevant. Focusing on individual grains of sand in a 2006 assessment is useless until we're stepped back, shifted the view to 2014, and then zoomed back into the current problem.

I've linked this at least three times on the forum already, but click into last December's "Where Do We Go From Here" conference and watch Jeremy Rifkin's Saturday morning keynote for the big-picture view of our global energy transition. It will not only answer the hows and whys of hydrogen storage but also shows the niche FCEV/FCPHEV fit into. https://www.eomega.org/events/index.php?token=5250133a3c4d3

It's really critical that folks understand what's happening today - I promise that all the pieces will fall into place and the 'why' of Nissan's range target will become obvious.

AndyH said:
Catch up with Reinventing Fire and the Third Industrial Revolution and you'll realize the question is no longer relevant. Focusing on individual grains of sand in a 2006 assessment is useless until we're stepped back, shifted the view to 2014, and then zoomed back into the current problem.
Sorry, I don't have the time to read a lot of stuff (with 2 small kids). What is the elevator pitch on efficiency circa 2014 ?

Comparison of BEV & FCV is very relevant when considering public dollars being spent. Efficiency is part of that comparison. Just because FCV fares badly there doesn't make it irrelevant.

evnow said:
AndyH said:
Sorry, I don't have the time to read a lot of stuff (with 2 small kids). What is the elevator pitch on efficiency circa 2014 ?

Comparison of BEV & FCV is very relevant when considering public dollars being spent. Efficiency is part of that comparison. Just because FCV fares badly there doesn't make it irrelevant.
I've got a son and a life as well. Are you really asking me to hold the pages up to your face? I truly hope not - ain't gonna happen. ;)

But since we crossed each other's posts, I'll carry this link forward two posts - it's an hour well spent, won't cost any public money, and since I've already registered and am including my registration token, it'll even save you the 10 minutes it would take to register. Enjoy

https://www.eomega.org/events/index.php?token=5250133a3c4d3
Saturday - Keynote 1 - Jeremy Rifkin It provides a critical 'fast forward' to 2013/2014, and shows exactly 'why' both FCEV are here now and why Nissan's set the 200 km range target.

Hint: Hydrolysis is more efficient, uses fewer expensive elements, and can directly push 400+ bar without pumps. Fuel cells and electronics are more efficient, use fewer expensive elements, and use H2 twice as efficiently as burning H2 (in the fuel cell) and when using the heat as well are in the 80-85% efficiency range. And finally, we're not going to make the H2 'just' for transportation - it's for grid stabilization, renewable storage and grid supply, a replacement for natural gas as well. Those synergies make the 2006 'siloed thinking' analysis an anachronism.

Andy, thank you for the link. I followed the speaker and it all sounds visionary and, have to say, common sense to me (I kind of knew most of the facts he presented, well, maybe less about the economics).
But back on the topic, there are no new facts on H2 vs. battery storage.

I think the jury is still out there on BEV vs. H2 cars. So far BEVs have the head start.

I am also firmly convinced that if humanity spent more time researching batteries instead of trying to squeeze the last drop of oil out of the ground we would not talk about H2 at all. But that is just speculation :)

08Wee said:
Andy, thank you for the link. I followed the speaker and it all sounds visionary and, have to say, common sense to me (I kind of knew most of the facts he presented, well, maybe less about the economics).
But back on the topic, there are no new facts on H2 vs. battery storage.

I think the jury is still out there on BEV vs. H2 cars. So far BEVs have the head start.

I am also firmly convinced that if humanity spent more time researching batteries instead of trying to squeeze the last drop of oil out of the ground we would not talk about H2 at all. But that is just speculation :)
Glad you took advantage of the link. You're the 2nd person on the forum since I first posted the link in December 2013 that's done that - way to go! It sounds visionary to most of us in North America, but Rifkin's been advising the German Chancellor since about 2007 - they're well into this process. It's also been adopted by the entire EU and is underway in Denmark, China, and a number of European cities outside of Germany. If you're interested, you can read some of the master plans here: http://www.thethirdindustrialrevolution.com/masterPlan.cfm

No, this won't provide fodder for this silly "BEV VS. FCEV" argument. What it does is show that they're BOTH critical parts of the puzzle - both for transportation and for the power grid. I transcribed some critical pieces from his talk here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=333790#p333790

For the next step, let's narrow the view to the hydrogen portion of the Third Industrial Revolution process:

This is a presentation by a principle of Hydrogenics. The speaker was a Toyota engineer in the Prius program and formerly a senior in two solar companies. He talks about hydrogen for both renewable energy storage and gives more details on Germany's implementation of the TIR. Hydrogenics provides electrolyzer equipment to German utility E-ON. E-ON has completed at least one of Germany's 18 wind-to-H2 facilities.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=335083#p335083
I transcribed some points from this gent's talk here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=335266#p335266

Next step is to get an overview of Audi's wind to fuel process - it's a somewhat parallel piece of the TIR process. This presentation is from the 2012 Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas (ASPO) conference.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOn1FkwPjMA[/youtube]

As for hydrolyzer and fuel cell efficiency and price improvements, that's all been covered in gory detail in this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14744

Modern vehicle PEM fuel cells run between 50-60% efficient in the 10-100 KW range according to various sources including the DoE. Using the excess heat for the cabin brings total efficiency into the 85% range.
http://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/doe_fuelcell_factsheet.pdf

Efficiency of individual pieces isn't as important when we're making the entire system so much more efficient. This will all make more sense to you now that you've watched Rifkin's talk. Thanks again.

AndyH said:
But since we crossed each other's posts, I'll carry this link forward two posts - it's an hour well spent, won't cost any public money, and since I've already registered and am including my registration token, it'll even save you the 10 minutes it would take to register.
Well, that was an hour of my life I won't be getting back. Somehow it reminded me of the claim that nuclear power would be too cheap to meter, or the internet bubble with ridiculous valuations of companies, or the "Hope and Change" we were promised by Obama (not saying I would vote for Romney if I had it to do over). Some good ideas, but I doubt things will turn out in the rosy way he paints the picture. On the other hand, my Leaf is here now and allows me to drive 80% of my miles on renewable electricity. However, if BEV don't progress the way I expect I could see owning or renting a fuel cell vehicle for the occasional very long trip in about 10 years if they have a hydrogen refueling station in Bishop, California.

AndyH said:
I've got a son and a life as well. Are you really asking me to hold the pages up to your face? I truly hope not - ain't gonna happen. ;)
I'm sure when my kids are the age of your son (not 2 and a new born), I'll get back my life ;)

Hint: Hydrolysis is more efficient, uses fewer expensive elements, and can directly push 400+ bar without pumps. Fuel cells and electronics are more efficient, use fewer expensive elements, and use H2 twice as efficiently as burning H2 (in the fuel cell) and when using the heat as well are in the 80-85% efficiency range. And finally, we're not going to make the H2 'just' for transportation - it's for grid stabilization, renewable storage and grid supply, a replacement for natural gas as well. Those synergies make the 2006 'siloed thinking' analysis an anachronism.
To summarize, since the efficiency when H2 & BEV are directly compared will always favor BEV (duh !), H2 would make sense only when used for demand/supply balance or renewables or nuclear ? But can't we use batteries or liquid salts or pumped hydro and methane production etc to balance grid ?

H2 would make sense only when used to store excess electricity generated - when apparently efficiency is not of much concern ? H2 has to compete with a bunch of other stuff to store excess energy - and how does that work out in terms of economics & efficiency ?

BTW, I'm surprised H2 proponents don't have a simple answer to the efficiency question. They must be getting that question a lot. Do they always dance around it ?

evnow said:
AndyH said:
I'm sure when my kids are the age of your son (not 2 and a new born), I'll get back my life ;)
I agree that 12 is different than 2 and new (congrats!) but the life that returns is different. Better consider it a 'continued evolution' rather than getting anything back. ;)

evnow said:
To summarize, since the efficiency when H2 & BEV are directly compared will always favor BEV (duh !), H2 would make sense only when used for demand/supply balance or renewables or nuclear ? But can't we use batteries or liquid salts or pumped hydro and methane production etc to balance grid ?

H2 would make sense only when used to store excess electricity generated - when apparently efficiency is not of much concern ? H2 has to compete with a bunch of other stuff to store excess energy - and how does that work out in terms of economics & efficiency ?
The real-world efficiency difference doesn't appear to be as great as one might assume. A FCEV is a hybrid - the ICE is replaced by the fuel cell stack. The battery portions are equal in efficiency. The fuel cell stack is running in the ~55% range producing electricity, but up to 85% including heat. In colder climates, EV efficiency drops when we make heat, while the FCEV has the same range as it has excess heat to use. Both are significantly better than a Prius' ~30% ICE efficiency, though the Prius has more waste heat available...

On the production side, when H2 is used for grid storage, the marginal cost of H2 is nearly zero. H2 doesn't have to compete with other grid storage methods because it's less expensive and more capable to store H2 either in the natural gas grid or in underground storage in place of compressed air (111 times more storage for the same volume and compressor energy than air). It's cheaper than batteries and other methods today.

The Audi project in Austria makes synthetic methane and hydrogen. Using this method, according to the Audi engineers, the German natural gas grid can store enough gas to provide four months of electricity for the nation. Doing this, we don't need batteries or liquid salts or pumped hydro. And since utilities around the world are finding they don't need nearly as much storage as they thought they would, that's more H2 available for transportation. (Ok, if we must, we could use some of the H2 or syn-methane to spin a gas generator to recharge a Leaf. If only BEVs could more efficiently use H2. Oh well. Old tech. ;) )

For this:
HydrogenChart.jpg

On the left side, the esteemed expert starts with renewable AC, though PV outputs direct current. Maybe he's storing wind. ;) The first point we've evolved is compression. We now have electrolyzers that 'electrochmically' compress H2 to just over 400 bar at the PEM - no pumps needed. Local production eliminates transport/transfer. At the bottom the BEV gets to use regen but the FCEV doesn't? At least the author's not biased in favor of BEV. :lol: We don't need to liquify the H2 so the middle 'pillar' is moot.

The Hyundai Tucson stores H2 at 700 bar/10K PSI. If one has this vehicle, a rooftop PV array, and the microwave-sized electrolyzer, they can refuel at home to half pressure and about half range - that's home refueling for a 150-200 mile range. They don't need to hit the local 700 bar filling station to top-up the tanks unless they need full range. That's likely a significant factor in Nissan's desire for a 300 km BEV range (thought cabin heat is still optional). ;)

FWIW.

evnow said:
That's what I want, so I tried to dig out numbers myself. I began with web searches restricted to MNL since it was suggested all the post-2006 numbers have been discussed here. I searched for each of the terms used in Bossel's calculations, with several plausible variations e.g. "transport" and also "distribution." Maybe they are here somewhere but I couldn't find them. Indeed the few numbers I did find were somewhat less optimistic than those used by Bossel.

So I widened my web search, and tried to favor sources that seemed more authoritative, e.g. US EPA instead of someone's blog. Data sources are listed below. Taking the most optimistic values I recalculated Bossel's numbers.

AC-DC conversion: Was 95%, now 98%
Electrolysis: Was 75%, now 80%
For compressed H2...
Compression: 90%
Transport: 80%
Fuel Cell: Was 50%, now 70%
Vehicle: 90%
For liquid H2...
Liquefaction: Was 65%, now 69%
Transport: Was 90%, now 98%
Fuel Cell: Was 50%, now 70%
Vehicle: 90%

Result. Compressed H2 FCEV efficiency was 23%, now 36%. Liquid H2 FCEV efficiency was 19%, now 33%. Impressive improvements if all the technologies cited are commercially viable, but still well short of 69% efficiency for a BEV.

AndyH said:
the esteemed expert starts with renewable AC, though PV outputs direct current. Maybe he's storing wind. ;) The first point we've evolved is compression. We now have electrolyzers that 'electrochmically' compress H2 to just over 400 bar at the PEM - no pumps needed. Local production eliminates transport/transfer.
I think that Andy's key point is that H2 generation will be distributed. If we have home H2 generation serving a single car from solar panels then it doesn't have to be grid tied so it doesn't have to be AC, we don't need to store large amounts of H2 for a long time, and we don't need to transport it. So calculate with no losses from AC-DC conversion and transport. Also assume his solar panels produce the H2 already compressed to the pressure needed for FCEV storage and assume zero compression losses. Then the bottom line efficiency is 47%.

H2 stations like gas stations would need storage to serve varying possibly large numbers of customers, and would need off-site production and transportation. So driving FCEV's in the future could be somewhat like driving BEV's today. Our first miles of the day are with cheap overnight electricity (H2) in our garage, after which additional miles are driven with expensive QC electricity (H2) from public stations.

So the next interesting discussion could be the commercial viability of small scale distributed H2 generation as Andy outlines. Then it's a tradeoff among vehicle price, home charging/filling station cost, reliability, operating cost, range, public refill cost and availability and convenience.

AndyH said:
At the bottom the BEV gets to use regen but the FCEV doesn't?
Bossel took 90% vehicle efficiency for both FCEV's and for the BEV so he was clearly including regenerative braking for all vehicles even though he neglected to repeat it in the captions.

I still have questions about the fuel cell efficiency. Joseph Romm points out that the fuel cells which are most efficient are those least suitable for use in a vehicle due to weight and high temperature operation. But then he wrote in 2004. Perhaps Andy will tell me it has all been answered somewhere in the 600 page MNL hydrogen thread. Or in a web search I'll find a dozen conflicting statements from people of varying degrees of authority.

Most likely if there are highly efficient automotive fuel cells they're not written about but kept under tight wraps at Toyota and Honda. When they start selling a few compliance FCEV's and independent engineers get close looks at the vehicles then we'll find out whether their secrets were their advanced fuel cells, or their advanced marketing spin to ward off clean air regulators.

Web searches for efficiency data post-2006.

===== AC-DC conversion

MNL: hundreds of matches, none evidently addressing conversion efficiency

http://www.power-mag.com/pdf/feature_pdf/1310569074_Teslaco_Feature_Layout_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date: 2011
Author: Slobodan Cuk, President TESLAco
98%

===== Electrolysis

MNL: none

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/07/itmpower-20130722.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date: 2013
Author: uncredited, Reporting on ITM Power
Each stack is now able to generate up to 27.9 kg/day at full load at an efficiency of greater than 77%.

http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2010/05/19/gridshift-electrolysis-catalyst/#.U3au04G7mAk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date: 2010
Author: Ovidiu Sandru, reporting on GridShift Inc., funded by Khosla Ventures
The result is an electrolyzer running as a full cell at 1000 milliamp per cm2 at 80% energy efficiency

===== compression

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=333585#p333585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Poster: GRA
Source: none
IIRR it's something like 10-15% of the energy in the H2, and around 15-20% for 10,000 PSI

===== compressed H2 transport

===== fuel cell

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a good fuel cell can achieve 55% thermal efficiency
Poster: donald
Source: none

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuelcell/basicinfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuel cells can achieve 40 to 70 percent efficiency
Source: US EPA
Date: 2012

http://www.c2es.org/technology/factsheet/HydrogenFuelCellVehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
High energy efficiency of fuel cell drivetrains, which use 40 to 60 percent of the energy available
Source: Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
Date: 2014

===== liquefaction

http://ntnu.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:611686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date: 2013
Author: Krasae-in, Songwut, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The problem is that today every H2 liquefaction plant has low exergy efficiency of just between 20–30%. ... The efficiency of the proposed system is around 45% or more

http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/r2h/index.php/Date" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: 2008
Source: Aachen University
Liquid_Hydrogen_Transport_by_Truck
liquefaction consumes more than 30% of the energy content of the hydrogen
[So let's assume it consumes 31%, for efficiency of 69%]

===== liquid H2 transport

http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/r2h/index.php/Liquid_Hydrogen_Transport_by_Truck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date: 2008
Source: Aachen University
a liquid tanker being able to carry up to ten times the volume of an equivalent gaseous tube trailer (up to 4000kg for liquid, compared with 400 kg for gaseous)
[So let's assume that if transport of compressed hydrogen costs 20% of its energy then transport of liquid hydrogen costs only 2% of its energy]

walterbays said:
I think that Andy's key point is that H2 generation will be distributed....
Yes - that's what both the Third Industrial Revolution and RMI's Reinventing Fire are heading. I expect our end-game will have both centralized and distributed generation the way PV is being deployed.

walterbays said:
I still have questions about the fuel cell efficiency. Joseph Romm points out that the fuel cells which are most efficient are those least suitable for use in a vehicle due to weight and high temperature operation. But then he wrote in 2004. Perhaps Andy will tell me it has all been answered somewhere in the 600 page MNL hydrogen thread. Or in a web search I'll find a dozen conflicting statements from people of varying degrees of authority.
Yes, this was covered and linked in the other thread. Guy/GRA and I both posted a number of references, either to US national labs or manufacturers. We compared/contrasted Romm's and Rifkin's hydrogen books (mostly out of date). That's really why we're digging through individual papers and such - there's been so much development in the past 10 years that the 'high-level' reporting hasn't caught up. Much of the work appears to have been focused on proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells as those are the portable power devices. According to the DoE, theoretical max PEM electrical efficiency is 65%, and PEMs are running in the 50-60% range depending on size, and about 85% when the heat is used. As PEMs are reversible, the research also accelerated electrolyzers. That's why Germany's first utility-scale electrolysis installation was placed into service within the past month or so and why they have another 17 in progress, and why their operation will return a very healthy 12-15% ROI for the utility - in line with any other power grid infrastructure project.

There's no need for liquified H2 in light vehicles, and cryogenic storage was the source for all the "you can't store your FCEV in the garage" claims. Gaseous storage and H2 sensors have both come a long way in the past 10 years.

Back