L2 & QC as emergency roadside service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

Just came across this news article from Edmunds:
http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/aaa-to-offer-mobile-charging-for-evs.html

In a nutshell:
AAA, the largest automotive emergency services provider in U.S., has announced plans to deploy electric-vehicle mobile charging units in its roadside assistance operations... the company will add equipment to their service trucks so they will be able to charge depleted BEV batteries regardless of the connectors to which they are attached... It will unveil the latest addition to its fleet of roadside assistance vehicles at the Plug-In 2011 Conference & Exposition in Raleigh, N.C., next month and begin initial deployment with at least six mobile-charging units in select states beginning in August. The states include California, Florida, Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington... Under the program that is now underway, Japan Automobile Federation will deploy the roadside service vehicle with the charger from its Kanagawa branch office and will use it on a trial basis as part of their service menu for fiscal year 2011.

The article didn't give a timeline for when it might start being widely implemented in the USA (but this might be announced at the Plug-In conference in July], nor if there would be additional costs to EV drivers (but having access to an occasional mobile QC is definitely something I'd be willing to pay for!)

earther said:
... least six mobile-charging units in select states beginning in August. The states include California, Florida, Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington...

Too bad they left Texas out :(

Back