Range Anxiety Reducer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmondLeaf

Help is on the way with range anxiety but only in selected markets

In an effort to reduce range anxiety for owners’ of electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf, AAA announced it will offer North America’s first mobile charging roadside assistance trucks. The announcement was made Monday during a press conference at the Plug-In 2011 Conference and Exposition.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/aaa-mobile-charging-trucks-to-help-reduce-range-anxiety-for-evs-98547.html#ixzz1Sa1jxPb1

marccbr said:
Nice, 15 min at L3 charging should get you more than 15 miles. I would think closer to 40 - 50 miles.
DC Quick Charging can be performed a different voltages/amperages. Their system is probably sized to charge at about 60 miles per hour of charge.

DC Quick Charging can be performed a different voltages/amperages. Their system is probably sized to charge at about 60 miles per hour of charge.

I suspect it depends on which road you're on. On various sections of I-90, I'll bet it's legal to charge at 70 MPH. :)

An even better solution would be for AAA to install DC chargers at all of their office locations. Even just standard chargers would be nice. You could swipe your AAA card to access. Their offices are pretty well spread out and would create a nice network and it might also provide incentive for non-member EV owners to sign-up.

DTB said:
An even better solution would be for AAA to install DC chargers at all of their office locations. Even just standard chargers would be nice. You could swipe your AAA card to access. Their offices are pretty well spread out and would create a nice network and it might also provide incentive for non-member EV owners to sign-up.

That's a great idea. I just sent AAA an email requesting them to install Level 2 charging equipment at their offices. I included your point about attracting new members and explained that having a network of charging stations would minimize the need for emergency charging assistance.

oakwcj said:
That's a great idea. I just sent AAA an email requesting them to install Level 2 charging equipment at their offices.

He said DC chargers, not L2 EVSE.. DC charger is also known as L3 or Chademo charger, these are true chargers and not just a safe way to provide 240VAC to the car. Knowledge is power!

Herm said:
oakwcj said:
That's a great idea. I just sent AAA an email requesting them to install Level 2 charging equipment at their offices.

He said DC chargers, not L2 EVSE.. DC charger is also known as L3 or Chademo charger, these are true chargers and not just a safe way to provide 240VAC to the car. Knowledge is power!

I know what they are. It's not realistic to expect them to install $20k chargers at every office. I requested something that they might actually do and would be extremely helpful when you need an extra 15 miles on range. I also read DTB's post in full: "Even just standard chargers would be nice." Yes, they would.

I sent my suggestion to AAA a few days ago. Instead of just using the "Contact Us" section of their website, I chose to sent a comment to the editor by responding to their recent article regarding alternative fuels. I wasn't expecting a response however today I received the following from the Manger of Government Affairs & Public Policy:

“Thank you for your email regarding the Westways New Directions column on alternative fuels and related issues. The Auto Club is actually in the process of installing electric vehicle charging stations at some of our offices. We will do an initial pilot in three offices (two in Los Angeles County and one in Orange County). Depending on how things go, we may then expand these to other locations in the future. Thank you for your suggestion, for your interest in this important issue, and for your membership in the Auto Club.”

He doesn’t elaborate on what stage of the “process” they are in so my guess is that they haven't actually done anything yet (somebody correct me if they know differently). I’d be surprised if they installed these EVSE’s without any fanfare or publicity. At least he correctly uses the term “EVSE”.

A QC station is roughly like a slow, one-pump Gas Station.

An L2 station is roughly like getting a blood transfusion, but
only available when actually in a specially-marked doctor's office.

It may actually make sense to have an L3 station at the local AAA office, it would motivate a lot of people to sign up for the Premier membership package that unlocks the charger.

I think a lot of the commercial case for L3 chargers will be promotional.

Yes you already have Nissan road service, but they will only tow you to a dealership.. and the chargers there may be locked up anyways. Use the Nissan service then call AAA to tow you home..

If there were a QC standard, AAA might strategically install some. I would expect them to wait until the standards issue is resolved.

oakwcj said:
If there were a QC standard, AAA might strategically install some. I would expect them to wait until the standards issue is resolved.
CHAdeMO is a QC standard. The only "standard" issue is that the SAE doesn't want anyone else playing in their sandbox, but wants the whole world to follow their rules. :D

DarkStar said:
oakwcj said:
CHAdeMO is a QC standard. The only "standard" issue is that the SAE doesn't want anyone else playing in their sandbox, but wants the whole world to follow their rules. :D

You can't discount the fact that the current DC and AC charger plugs take up a lot of real estate on the front of the LEAF.

If you actually examine what the SAE is looking at right now, it's essentially the SAE-J1772 (2009 version) that we are currently using, with two DC power pins on the bottom. No need to duplicate the "logic" pins, or have two plugs for DC and AC.

Plus, it can fit in existing gas tank filler door openings, which might be important for "converted" gas cars, like the Ford Focus.

TonyWilliams said:
You can't discount the fact that the current DC and AC charger plugs take up a lot of real estate on the front of the LEAF.

If you actually examine what the SAE is looking at right now, it's essentially the SAE-J1772 (2009 version) that we are currently using, with two DC power pins on the bottom. No need to duplicate the "logic" pins, or have two plugs for DC and AC.

Plus, it can fit in existing gas tank filler door openings, which might be important for "converted" gas cars, like the Ford Focus.
The problem with the SAE proposal is that they're trying to develop a new data protocol that will have to go through a "process" too. My guess is that while the plug might be approved in the next 5 years, the signaling protocol will be still an additional 5 years out. CHAdeMO is here today and works great!

LEAF dealers need to cooperate to minimize range anxiety for LEAF drivers. This could be done by LEAF dealers pledging to share their level-2 chargers to be used to charge any LEAF that is garaged farther than 40 miles from the dealer. Nissan should make a list of all LEAF dealers who make such a pledge. All dealers would benefit from such an arrangement.

roperld said:
LEAF dealers need to cooperate to minimize range anxiety for LEAF drivers. This could be done by LEAF dealers pledging to share their level-2 chargers to be used to charge any LEAF that is garaged farther than 40 miles from the dealer. Nissan should make a list of all LEAF dealers who make such a pledge. All dealers would benefit from such an arrangement.

Here in middle GA, it is assumed any Nissan dealer with L2 chargers will make them available to any Leaf needing a charge. I've never heard of a dealer who wouldn't.

Back