L1 EVSE and snow

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Publius

I will be picking up my '12 Leaf SL tonight and my GE Wattstation will be arriving in the mail sometime today, but I plan on using the L1 EVSE that comes with the car for a while. I live in Upstate NY, so we get a lot of snow at times and I don't have a garage. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience using the L1 EVSE outdoors in a snowy environment and what, if any, precautions they've taken to protect the brick from the snow. I've done a bunch of searches and found information about using the L1 EVSE in the rain, using an extension cord to house the brick under the hood of the car (more about theft than snow, though, and I don't necessarily want to use an extension cord if I can help it), etc., but haven't found anything specifically about what people have done to protect the brick from heavy snow fall, other than park in an enclosed structure. What do you guys think?

Publius said:
I will be picking up my '12 Leaf SL tonight and my GE Wattstation will be arriving in the mail sometime today, but I plan on using the L1 EVSE that comes with the car for a while. I live in Upstate NY, so we get a lot of snow at times and I don't have a garage. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience using the L1 EVSE outdoors in a snowy environment and what, if any, precautions they've taken to protect the brick from the snow. I've done a bunch of searches and found information about using the L1 EVSE in the rain, using an extension cord to house the brick under the hood of the car (more about theft than snow, though, and I don't necessarily want to use an extension cord if I can help it), etc., but haven't found anything specifically about what people have done to protect the brick from heavy snow fall, other than park in an enclosed structure. What do you guys think?

The "brick" is likely more weather resistant than the receptacle you'll be plugging into.

You should be fine with a weatherproof cover over the 5-15 receptacle (the kind of cover that can seal the receptacle even with a cord plugged in). And suspend the "brick" with a bungee cord or equivalent.

richard said:
Publius said:

The "brick" is likely more weather resistant than the receptacle you'll be plugging into.

You should be fine with a weatherproof cover over the 5-15 receptacle (the kind of cover that can seal the receptacle even with a cord plugged in). And suspend the "brick" with a bungee cord or equivalent.

Thanks! That's good to hear. I already have a weatherproof cover on the outlet (Christmas lights are plugged in right now), so it sounds like I'll be fine.

I have the modified Nissan/Panasonic unit, which I've used in the snow a couple times. I put a Leviton Wetguard plug on it and use extension(s) made with Wetguard connectors and plugs, so there is no problem using it in the rain or snow.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=37831&minisite=10251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publius said:
I will be picking up my '12 Leaf SL tonight and my GE Wattstation will be arriving in the mail sometime today,
Why a GE Wattstation? The issue of (apparently) GE Wattstations blowing the onboard charger in the Leaf is still unresolved. Some people have blown multiple ones.

I'd either return the Wattstation and get something else unless you want to be inconvenienced. Or, hold off on using it until Nissan delivers the software fix they talked about months ago, still with no ETA. Hopefully Phoenicians will get an answer for the fix on 1/8/13...

2 Owners near me have the GEWattstation, and they have had zero issues with it. with AeroVironment placing their EVSE's onsale for under $900 and the ability to still take advantage of the FREE EVSE through ECOTality/EV Project..This is also still a good option. Even if the EV Project EVSE was used for a spare or backup to the GE Wattstation, if you can take advantage of the program, i would.

As far as the supplied L1 EVSE, it will work flawlessly. Just protect the recepticale its plugged into and youll be fine.

Either way, Congrats on the LEAF, i love ours...and even love it more with a L2 EVSE to enjoy more miles on NO GAS.

:)

I find it interesting that we're STILL trying sort out (good) EVSE's almost 2 years after Leaf launch!
I believe GE WattStation issues are triggered by brownouts and general power supply instability. If you don't experience that sort of thing in your neighborhood, you should be OK. I've charged at a (commercial) WattStation near me several times without issue; of course, I never do it during bad weather and it (obviously) has a stable power source (business).

I've used the L1 EVSE outdoors here in Canada quite a few times under snow and even freezing rain without any issues.

Congrats on your new Leaf.

Back