July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like 579 for March-2012 from the PDF file they have linked (though it saves as a .htm file).
http://nissannews.com/releases/174ad096-56a4-45cc-bbea-2ce2739bdd3c/download/8a8bd7cf-e480-4551-abb7-a7a5bc5f2835?l=en-US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- save as PDF

EdmondLeaf said:
Leaf is not in listed
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...single-month-sales-record-with-march-sales-up
Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today reported March U.S. sales of 136,317 units versus 121,141 units a year earlier, an increase of 12.5 percent, and a record for any month in the company's history. Nissan Division sales also set a new sales record, up 14.8 percent for the month at 126,132 units. Sales of Infiniti vehicles were down 9.8 percent from the prior year, to 10,185 units.

Its listed if you download the sales chart PDF. THe leaf sold 579 this March.

The number 579 is not exactly rocking. Car sales were strong and high gas prices should help. Not only were Volt sales strong but Prius sales were exceptionally strong. Disappointing actually.

I'm having trouble reconciling the numbers with the claim that they're on track to sell 20K units. Perhaps they mean 10K in 2011 and 10K in 2012?

RegGuheert said:
So the Volt outsold the LEAF by nearly a 4:1 margin in March following a 2:1 margin in February...
The Volt has outsold the Leaf over the last six months. No big deal. It's easier to sell a Volt because it's not range limited. Many people just have a hard time getting their head around driving within a limited range though many could do it without a problem.

These are really different vehicles and it's pointless to compare the sales numbers. I'd like to see larger numbers, no question. But larger numbers for both.

If I were Nissan I would be concerned. NIssan had their best month ever, selling 136,317 cars. Of that, were Leafs.

Prius C's are a bargain. 53 mpg for $19,000. The whole Prius line had 25,000 in sales in March.

I wonder whether Nissan is pumping as much as possible to Japan for the FY end there in March. Remember, last year the same thing happened and in April (correction : June) Nissan dumped more than 2K (correction : 1.7k) Leafs in US.

Are the cars not available or do dealers just not want to floorplan them? I got the distinct impression from my salesman they are more than happy to handle the transaction if someone comes to them wanting one, but they aren't all that interested in "moving them".

Train said:
If I were Nissan I would be concerned. NIssan had their best month ever, selling 136,317 cars. Of that 579 were Leafs.

Keep in mind that the Leaf is still not available in most dealerships across the US. You still have to order one and wait months for it to be delivered. Until there are 2 or 3 Leafs sitting on every dealer lot in the US, I'm not going to worry too much about the sales numbers as long as they remain constant or get better. After all, 579 is still better than last month. Truth be, most of the people who bought those 579 Leafs probably ordered them 2 or 3 months before. So the sales figures for the next month or two will reflect the number ordered in March.

Contrary to some suggestions, I don't think this is a supply issue. You just don't see lots of posts from people screaming that they want their cars and can't get them. Last year at this time when there was a supply issue there were many many of those posts. Now those type of posts are scarce, or at least it seems that way.

SanDust said:
Contrary to some suggestions, I don't think this is a supply issue. You just don't see lots of posts from people screaming that they want their cars and can't get them. Last year at this time when there was a supply issue there were many many of those posts. Now those type of posts are scarce, or at least it seems that way.
But we do see posts about dealers feeling their quota is too small.

SanDust said:
Really hard to say since the vast majority of the public simply walks onto a lot and buys a car. Certainly without knowing global LEAF sales one can't really say anything. For sure, there isn't much inventory for the LEAF compared to the Volt according to cars.com - less than a month of supply for the LEAF around 2 months of supply for the Volt.

Not to mention GM is currently giving very good incentives on the Volt - no incentives to speak of for the LEAF.

Last year was an anomaly with the online ordering process where most people had been waiting many, many months for their car with no real communication from Nissan on what the holdup (up until the tsunami) and what types of volume would be shipping.

The Chevy dealership I visited was VERY interested in selling the Volt. They were offering it for $3k under MSPR.

It may be that the early adopters have bought and the next sales are going to much more difficult for Nissan. Cars on the floor of every dealer would certainly help, even then the need to install an EVSE will make the transaction more difficult. Most car purchases are pretty impulsive, One of my co-workers was car shopping and got interested in a Fiat 500 and had it home two days later..that kind of buyer is not likely to buy a Leaf.

Prius C is well placed in the market, Nissan should come out with a Hybrid Versa to compete. Then both should be offered as PHEV.

evnow said:
I wonder whether Nissan is pumping as much as possible to Japan for the FY end there in March. Remember, last year the same thing happened and in April (correction : June) Nissan dumped more than 2K (correction : 1.7k) Leafs in US.

But hat was after disruption in deliveries, due the earlier earthquake and tsunami, seemed to lead to a bump in May/June deliveries.

The only valid Leaf delivery figures, to try to track total production, are worldwide, as the 179 March sales in Norway,indicate.

Doesn't Nissan publish worldwide sales any where?

I'd expect Auto analysts to be able to get this info, even if Nissan doesn't want it (for competitive reasons?) to come out.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Are the cars not available or do dealers just not want to floorplan them? I got the distinct impression from my salesman they are more than happy to handle the transaction if someone comes to them wanting one, but they aren't all that interested in "moving them".
My dealer would LOVE to have some on the floor. He told me they were considering ordering some for themselves and then orphaning them so that they would have inventory to sell. The Nissan LEAF sales prevention website is not working for them.

00Nissan absolutely has a supply problem. As a Volt owner, there are over 4,000 cars on the lots right now. While this may seem large, it is actually a very small number. You only show 700 cars in stock in Nissan dealerships across the country. That means if a person visits a dealerships, odds are that they are not going to find a leaf, and likely they are not going to have the colors or options. Nissan needs to put more of these cars on the lot, because relying on only special orders is going to kill overall sales.

SanDust said:
Only us early adopter types are willing to put up with the crappy marketing approach that Nissan has concocted. Other people will need to see them in the showroom to actually make the purchase. I'm telling you our dealership was PACKED during the sales event, but with no inventory and no incentives on the LEAF, they won't have a chance to sell any. Chevrolet has BOTH and their sales are starting to happen.

As I said, the real issue is supply. Nissan is forced to use some approach to distribute their limited cars.

RegGuheert said:
I'm telling you our dealership was PACKED during the sales event, but with no inventory and no incentives on the LEAF, they won't have a chance to sell any. Chevrolet has BOTH and their sales are starting to happen.

No incentives also hurts. Most people want to feel like they are getting a deal and won't buy if it isn't "on sale".

If a buyer had a choice between identically equipped Altima and Accord, if one is $20k and the other is $22k but has a $2k rebate I bet they buy the one with the rebate every time. Why not? Who wants a $20k car when you can get a $22k car for the same price?

Nissan only has a4,000 unit worldwide supply to worth with. 500 US 200 Norway...XX Japan...etc means everyone gets a trickle. When most of the country is still waiting 12 to 16 Weeks for their car, its a supply issue, plain and simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back