ITT J1772 Plug/Cable Set

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KevinSharpe said:
mitch672 said:
Just opened up the box, its the same J-1772 connector ITT has been shipping, nothing new, no method to lock it.
Here's a photo of the Gen 1 (large) and Gen 2 (small) ITT connectors

Thanks Kevin, there is another difference, that smaller J-1772 appears to have a much smaller cable exiting from it, I'm guessing that smaller version is not 30A capable, more likely the 15A/120A version, that portable EVSE's are built with... that would explain a lot, the larger (older) J-1772 is built with 10AWG wiring (30A MAX), the smaller unit could be using 14AWG wiring (15A MAX).

mitch672 said:
Thanks Kevin, there is another difference, that smaller J-1772 appears to have a much smaller cable exiting from it, I'm guessing that smaller version is not 30A capable.
You're correct it's not 30A capable but 32A with 6.0mm cores :D

Thanks Kevin, I checked the larger J-1772 head that I have carefully, and there is a hole built on below the trigger that could be used for a "pin lock", in other word about a 2" pin inserted, would prevent you from being able to pull the trigger and release the connector, so it does have a locking mechanism, just have to find a pin lock of the correct diameter (about 3/16") and the right length. Good to hear they managed to make the cable smaller, the version I have it's 3/4" inch in diameter.

mrbigh said:
KevinSharpe said:
here are the production cables and ITT Gen 2 connectors :D

View attachment 1

Uhmmm..... J-1772 extension cord........nice for the right application
Don't think so. Not a J1772 but EU MENNEKES VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2. Euro spec is only a socket and has driver provide the cable. Less expensive to install, no cable theft, and you know it works.

jkirkebo said:
Nope, it's a Mennekes-J1772 cable for use in Europe.
+1

Jens, thank you for correcting that! Do you guys use the same setup in Norway? The other thing I meant to ask, do electric vehicles have license plates that begin with EL in Norway? Some of us noticed it in the following video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgCSDU0u1s[/youtube]

surfingslovak said:
Do you guys use the same setup in Norway?
Type 2 ("mennekes") is the pan-european standard for Charging Stations. Cars can support a wide range of connectors including Type 1 ("J1772").

surfingslovak said:
jkirkebo said:
Nope, it's a Mennekes-J1772 cable for use in Europe.
+1

Jens, thank you for correcting that! Do you guys use the same setup in Norway? The other thing I meant to ask, do electric vehicles have license plates that begin with EL in Norway?

No, we do not have any Mennekes charging posts yet, but they will arrive eventually. For now, everything L2 is schuko-sockets which deliver 230V 16A so the portable EVSE must be used.

schuko-plug-sockets-181464.jpg)

Yes, Norwegian EVs all have license plates in the form of ELxxxxx. I have no idea what they will do when we exceed 90,000 EVs ;)

Back