ITT J1772 Plug/Cable Set

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
I'm assuming we are still waiting for the group purchase on the ITT cables? I still need a 70-75amp version to complete my OpenEVSE. Do we have an estimated order date?
I just purchased a J-1772 cable assembly, 8 mts , 70Amps from Tucsonev.com. A great product and a great price. Paypal orders accepted. C'mon, lets support our local EV clubs sales.

mrbigh said:
palmermd said:
I'm assuming we are still waiting for the group purchase on the ITT cables? I still need a 70-75amp version to complete my OpenEVSE. Do we have an estimated order date?
I just purchased a J-1772 cable assembly, 8 mts , 70Amps from Tucsonev.com. A great product and a great price. Paypal orders accepted. C'mon, lets support our local EV clubs sales.
Tucson EV resells the Dostar plugs and cable sets, which were discussed earlier in the thread. These plugs have not been UL listed yet, which is what I believe the majority of prospects was interested in. Also note that Kevin Sharpe voiced some concerns about the quality of this product, without going into too much detail. And lastly, Tucson EVs pricing is very similar to what ITT or Kevin is charging for their products. The idea was to get a group order together at a favorable price, but individual needs and priorities might vary. I will contact Uchen, the maker of Dostar plugs, to inquire what the new ETA on the UL listing was. Last time I talked to them, it was January 2012, which obviously has not happened.

surfingslovak said:
Tucson EV resells the Dostar plugs and cable sets, which were discussed earlier in the thread. These plugs have not been UL listed yet, which is what I believe the majority of prospects was interested in. Also note that Kevin Sharpe voiced some concerns about the quality of this product, without going into too much detail. And lastly, Tucson EVs pricing is very similar to what ITT or Kevin is charging for their products. The idea was to get a group order together at a favorable price, but individual needs and priorities might vary. I will contact Uchen, the maker of Dostar plugs, to inquire what the new ETA on the UL listing was. Last time I talked to them, it was January 2012, which obviously has not happened.
I do not want to get into any argument with other fellow participants but, I do NOT think that having an UL listing for the J1772 handheld connector will make any DIY EVSE an UL approved devise.
If you want a UL listed devise, like a EVSE, you must purchase such one already made and backed by a reputable manufacturer warranty.
In my case, I'm an electronic engineer/DIY building a device for my own use and local demonstration for our EAA group.

Does Tusconev offer any quantity discounts on their "J1772 plug + cord"?

It appears that the Release button does not have a hole for a padlock, but it looks like a hole could be drilled.

Single quantity seems to be:
1. 70A + 8m (6 gauge) at $270
2. 30A + 6m (10 gauge) at $250

Apparently one needs proper crimping tools (perhaps 3 sizes, for Power, Ground, and 22 gauge Signal wires?) to attach the cable to the pins.

I just bought the UL listed ITT 30A unit with the 20' cable for about $280 total w/tax and shipping, it's not much more than the Dostar and it's UL listed, I think it's worth a little more for that, plus it appears to be made in the USA

I purchased the 30A ITT cable. I have the Levitron L2 charger for sale.

In comparing the cables. Both are 10 gauge but the ITT cable is much more flexible. Both connectors work but the Levitron ( same as the stock L1) feels better and it has a hole for a lock if that is important to you.

Its basically the same but different in the details.

garygid said:
Does Tusconev offer any quantity discounts on their "J1772 plug + cord"?

It appears that the Release button does not have a hole for a padlock, but it looks like a hole could be drilled.

Single quantity seems to be:
1. 70A + 8m (6 gauge) at $270
2. 30A + 6m (10 gauge) at $250

Apparently one needs proper crimping tools (perhaps 3 sizes, for Power, Ground, and 22 gauge Signal wires?) to attach the cable to the pins.

If we are referring to the J-1772 wand, No hole can be drill to the latch and /on release button.
To your stated prices, these are for the complete assembly (cable and connector wand) and it's already assembled.
No especial crimping tools will be needed; the 6ga wires will connect to a standard electrical ground block and the power leads to a suitable contactor or relay. The others can be solder to or terminated with quick connect depending on the build.
My future DIY EVSE will not be portable, will be pole mounted outdoors by the driveway serving 2 vehicles.

Jessica from Uchen confirmed that UL listing has not been obtained for the Dostar plugs. She did not provide any ETA.

I can recommend the ITT "Gen 2" connectors which IMO are a major improvement over their "Gen 1" offering. They now feature a hole for a pad lock which is an important feature. I would suggest that someone here takes on the task of negotiating a group discount with Avnet or another ITT disti and let them take care of the payment/shipping to individual end users.

surfingslovak said:
Jessica from Uchen confirmed that UL listing has not been obtained for the Dostar plugs. She did not provide any ETA.

So are we waiting for this UL listing before moving ahead with the group purchase? I'd really like to assemble my OpenEVSE, but I'm missing this cable. I thought we might be doing a group purchase, but if not, I'll go ahead and just order one from one of the suppliers on my own.

palmermd said:
So are we waiting for this UL listing before moving ahead with the group purchase? I'd really like to assemble my OpenEVSE, but I'm missing this cable. I thought we might be doing a group purchase, but if not, I'll go ahead and just order one from one of the suppliers on my own.
Yes, the wait was entirely due to Uchen's promise that they will get it in January, and the expressed and implied interest in the UL listing. That being said, I'm happy to execute a group order from either Uchen or Avnet, the ITT distributor Kevin mentioned earlier in the thread. I will assemble a spreadsheet with all the hand-raisers and confirm their preference.

I'm out, I bought the ITT direct from Avnet, in fact it was delivered today, about $270 with $8 FedEx Ground shipping.

mitch672 said:
I'm out, I bought the ITT direct from Avnet, in fact it was delivered today, about $270 with $8 FedEx Ground shipping.
Mitch, thank you for the update! If you don't mind me asking, which cable set did you buy? Is there a URL for it? If it had the gen 2 plug, would you mind posting some pictures?

surfingslovak said:
mitch672 said:
Mitch, thank you for the update! If you don't mind me asking, which cable set did you buy? Is there a URL for it? If it had the gen 2 plug, would you mind posting some pictures?

It's the link shown in the open evse wiki on availble cables, it's the 30A version, not sure which gen they are currently shipping, I can take some pictures when I get home tonight, hopefully it has the hole to lock the connector (gen 2), won't know until I get home though.

Put me down as a "definite maybe" ;) for a group buy on the J1772 cable.

I'm technically on the list for a Blink charger, I'm not holding my breath that they can actually make it work for any reasonable amount of out-of-pocket money.

mitch672 said:
surfingslovak said:
mitch672 said:

It's the link shown in the open evse wiki on availble cables, it's the 30A version, not sure which gen they are currently shipping, I can take some pictures when I get home tonight, hopefully it has the hole to lock the connector (gen 2), won't know until I get home though.

Just opened up the box, its the same J-1772 connector ITT has been shipping, nothing new, no method to lock it. This is the same connector and cable assembly used on the Schnieder EVSE,

ITT-J1772-2.jpg

ITT-J1772-1-1.jpg

So, how about this as a plan for new Leaf owners? Take your Nissan brick, send it to Phil for the 240 upgrade and use that for your home EVSE until the price of J1772 cables go down. The device will then be used as a portable 120/240 EVSE.

That's what I do and have been doing to charge my Leaf, #0669.

I believe someone with money will invest in the J1772 cable business and sell then retail. I believe the price should be around $100-$150, and no way the whole DIY OPEN EVSE should be over $300.

mitch672 said:
Just opened up the box, its the same J-1772 connector ITT has been shipping, nothing new, no method to lock it.
Here's a photo of the Gen 1 (large) and Gen 2 (small) ITT connectors;

IMG_1353_Low_Res.jpg

And here's the locking feature;

IMG_1357_Low_Res.JPG

Back