ITT J1772 Plug/Cable Set

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A touch of silicone spray on either end of the connector makes a big difference.

DaveinOlyWA said:
just a comment on longevity of connectors. since i use 120 volt charging up until recently but still using the modified L2 upgrade, i have noticed that mine does not latch as easily as it did before. how i know this?

garygid said:
Yes, simple but expensive?

A satisfactory, "water-proof" Housing for the receptacle might be a problem?
Hi Gary
Do you know of ideas for what would be the cheapest way to build an extension cord?
Thx.

lincomatic said:
I tried to find a source for the Yazaki plugs, but wasn't successful.
Last time I checked ClipperCreek sells genuine 25' 30 amp UL listed Yazaki manufactured j1772 plug and cable for about $350 plus tax and shipping.

Spies said:
lincomatic said:
I tried to find a source for the Yazaki plugs, but wasn't successful.
Last time I checked ClipperCreek sells genuine 25' 30 amp UL listed Yazaki manufactured j1772 plug and cable for about $350 plus tax and shipping.

Ouch, $350 + tax & shipping is exhorbitant. But it's still nice to know there's a source. Can you post a link to it? I only see complete EVSE's on their site.

lincomatic said:
Ouch, $350 + tax & shipping is exhorbitant. But it's still nice to know there's a source. Can you post a link to it? I only see complete EVSE's on their site.
I posted the info ClipperCreek emailed me here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=888&start=44

mwalsh said:
I use the same Yazaki connector on the AV L2 every night, and the L1/L2 portable probably once every couple of weeks, and haven't noticed that issue at all.

Interesting... I thought AV was using Yazaki as well, but I just charged @ a friend's house ... he just had his AV L2 installed last week, and it's using the exact ITT plug/cable I just bought. Maybe they switched suppliers on the plugs?

Also, I didn't have any latching problems with his, and I'm the first one to use it.. his Leaf isn't arriving until September. So i guess not all off them need to be broken in.

themotorman said:
How are you planning to connect this Avnet J1772 cable/connector to the 240 volt line?

No, it should NOT be connected directly to a 240V line. Besides being dangerous, it wouldn't work, since there wouldn't be any pilot signal. Only to a proper EVSE circuit.

Spies said:
lincomatic said:
I posted the info ClipperCreek emailed me here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=888&start=44

I was hoping to see better pricing on these connectors as well and I would consider anything north of $200 to be cost prohibitive. I emailed Yazaki North America yesterday and I should receive a quote from them next week. I will post the details on the forum once I heard back from them. Do you think that we would have enough interest on the board if they offered a volume discount?

surfingslovak said:
I was hoping to see better pricing on these connectors as well and I would consider anything north of $200 to be cost prohibitive. I emailed Yazaki North America yesterday and I should receive a quote from them next week. I will post the details on the forum once I heard back from them. Do you think that we would have enough interest on the board if they offered a volume discount?

You'll be extremely lucky to find anything including cable for <$200. Keep us posted. I doubt that there are enough hardware hackers on this board to get a volume discount, but let's see how many people chime in!

palmermd said:
Any luck finding the price coming down on a 70 amp plug/cable?

Avnet - $330 (ITT)
TusconEV - $250 (Dostar)
?? - ?? (Yazaki)
Unfortunately, there are no new developments I'd be aware of. Yazaki does not sell to individuals, and I imagine that they command a premium price. I was wondering, on several occasions, if there was enough interest to do a group buy from Dostar. I believe that we could push the price down to $125 if we had a volume of 25 pieces or more. That would be the cheapest, although probably not the best, option I'd be aware of.

The quote I've included is for the 32A cable set, I will try to find the 70A quote as well. They seem to be making DC fast charge connectors as well. This could get quite interesting, if they decided to make a Chademo-compatible plug.

Full Dostar EV catalog (PDF)

Click to enlarge

I'm not opposed to Dostar assuming they have modified the mold to address the fit issue with the Leaf. I definitely want the 70+ amp model. No interest in the lower ampacities. I did not see it in the catalog, but the ChaDeMo connector would be awesome as well. Put me on the list of interested in a group purchase.

Thanks for responding, great to hear. I just requested a new quote from Dostar, for 25 plug and cable assemblies. The price difference between 70A and 32A is about $20.

I just heard back. The price difference between 70A and 32A is about $20. I think that $125 for the 32A cable/plug assemblies are doable, but the 70A cable set might be $150 when everything is said and done. I would like to keep the overhead to a minimum, and this should cover shipping to the final destination as well.

I've been going back and forth with Uchen (the makers of Dostar plugs) for a while, and I have some good news. They are supposedly going to get UL approval in January.

On a related note, Uchen confirmed that the plug listed in an older thread was in fact a Dostar plug. This plug had reportedly some problems, and they made a design change in March 2011. The new plug is selling in some volume and no problems have been reported.

I specifically asked about the proximity switch issue, reported in another thread, and Uchen assured me that this has been dealt with. They would not be able to obtain UL certification otherwise.

garygid said:
Are they going for 30-amp UL, or 32-amp UL?
Gary, I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but their rep told me that Uchen will do a 70A UL, which will cover 16A and 32A as well.

They offer a "32" amp cable-&-plug, and a 70-amp model.

Apparently they are getting UL listing on the "32-amp" model.

My Question:
Will it really be UL listed for thirty-TWO amps, or just 30-amps (only 30 amps ... like the cord and plug on the AV or SPX EVSEs)?

If it is really 32-amp Listed, I think it will be the first over-30 Listing, right?

And, it could be used by SPX to make their Power... EVSE legal to use at their "max" (32-amp) setting, right?

were only talking about the plug/cable set, not the entire evse. you want a UL listed unit over 30 amps go with the ITT. They have a 75 amp that is UL listed. This would be the preferred unit for me, but if we are doing a group buy for Dostar 70A I'm ok with that. Not interested in 30 amp or 32 amp whatsoever.

The interconnect system is the first UL 2251 certified 75A / 240V charging interconnect system.

http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/design/featuredpromotions/Pages/ITT-Interconnct-Releases-SAE-J1772-Connector-Solution.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back