iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bug has just been reported and on further investigation it is in all versions of LeafSpy that support logging of a charge session on screen 2 even the current test versions.

During a charge session if you don't have Logging enabled and are not viewing screens 3 or 4 then Gids will not be updated on the plot or the saved plot data.

For now be sure you have Logging enabled if you what to take a charge graph. You can set it to record every 1 hour if you don't really need the log.

One more bug fixed. If you don't enable Logging then motor RPMs are not read. If motor RPMs are not read then the Trip Log function can not detect the start of a trip and the Wh counter will not work.

This bug is in both the iOS and Android versions. Fixed in the next release. For iOS testers that will be 1.0.14 which should be out by the weekend.

Thanks to John C for reporting the original problem.

Question1: In the Charging Power Graph there is a blue line and a green line where the green is slightly higher. Is green the power the AC charger uses from the grid and blue what the charger tries to put in the battery, or what?

Question2: Which values in Leaf Spy are taken from the CAN bus and which are calculated/estimated?

Request: Can you please add possibility to select bar for tire pressure instead of just psi?

OT: I've heard that the 2015 batteries in USA, called "Lizard", reports up to 292 GIDs while the 2015 batteries i Europe still reports max 284 GIDs. So, does the "Lizard" battery hold higher max kWh charge or are the GIDs reported in the CAN bus "smaller"?

I'm trying to choose a WiFi OBDII adapter for my LEAF and frankly am overwhelmed by the options and a price range from $10 to several hundred. I've read many recommendations in MNL (mostly over 6 months old, a lifetime in product development) and lots of reviews on Amazon. Maybe I'm over analyzing this but I would welcome suggestions that would meet what I think are my requirements:

1- must work with the amazing LeaSpyPro and all of its features
2- prefer a smaller device that doesn't need an extension cable but doesn't attack knees either
3- prefer automatic shut down and reboot, since I don't drive my LEAF every day
4- iPhone, iPad compatible, at least the more current models
5- under $100

Any adapters stand out among the many, many in the market?

I would go with long cable adapter just to minimize any interaction directly with the car's OBDII adapter. That connection looks to be a fairly flimsy piece of engineering. You do not want to do anything with it after you make the first connection. I run the cable over to the front passenger's side, out of the way except for blinking lights. If you need to reset the wifi adapter, it is quick safe move with the cable.

SalisburySam said:
I'm trying to choose a WiFi OBDII adapter for my LEAF and frankly am overwhelmed by the options and a price range from $10 to several hundred. I've read many recommendations in MNL (mostly over 6 months old, a lifetime in product development) and lots of reviews on Amazon. Maybe I'm over analyzing this but I would welcome suggestions that would meet what I think are my requirements:

1- must work with the amazing LeaSpyPro and all of its features
2- prefer a smaller device that doesn't need an extension cable but doesn't attack knees either
3- prefer automatic shut down and reboot, since I don't drive my LEAF every day
4- iPhone, iPad compatible, at least the more current models
5- under $100

Any adapters stand out among the many, many in the market?
I got this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K2X4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for $17 shipped. Works great. I don't know if it fully shuts down when you turn the car off but I wouldn't think it would consume much actual battery. I usually only plug it in to check stats then unplug it after.

I got one of these which works fine with LeafSpy Pro on my iPad: http://www.obdinnovations.com/vgate-icar-2-elm327-wifi-obd2-car-diagnostics-scanner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's pretty small and shuts off automatically why I keep it connected even though I hardly use LeafSpy every day.

I was initially concerned about seeing the lights blinking with the car stopped, but the impact on the 13 volts battery seems minimal. Maybe it would be different in very cold climates. TX temperate to hot environments look ok. If having to pull wifi box to stop, again I would advise getting a cable.

BEV4EVer said:
I got one of these which works fine with LeafSpy Pro on my iPad: http://www.obdinnovations.com/vgate-icar-2-elm327-wifi-obd2-car-diagnostics-scanner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's pretty small and shuts off automatically why I keep it connected even though I hardly use LeafSpy every day.

I have one of these also, and it works well (wifi) with both my IPad and my Samsung S3. It shuts off reliably after about 30 minutes. Occasionally (but not often) it doesn't wake up and needs to be reseated, so I have mine on a 60cm extension which is draped over the steering column and just hangs under the wipers control arm.
It is plugged in all the time, and used 6 days/week.

What is the feature difference between IOS and android version ?
I do have a working setup ( LeafSpy Lite) for android, but I own a iphone 6 now.
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS

Should I stick to the Android version?

Dong

ccna101 said:
What is the feature difference between IOS and android version ?
I do have a working setup ( LeafSpy Lite) for android, but I own a iphone 6 now.
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS

Should I stick to the Android version?

Dong
There are only minor differences (once next iOS version is released). Typically you would decide based on the device you carry.

iOS
Only WiFi OBDII adapters supported
Can not change screen colors
Currently does not support Brake/Motor monitor screens

Let me thank mjblazin, EV4EVer, hieronymous, and LEAFMuranoDriver for their suggestions to help me pick out an OBDII WiFi reader. I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. I downloaded LEAFSpyPro, it installed on my iPhone6 without problem, and connected quickly to the OBDII device. Now I see what all the wonder is about, and I add my $20 and praise to Turbo3 for this amazing bit of insight into my LEAF. Not sure what it all tells me yet, but this and related MNL threads certainly mean a lot more to me now than before. Thanks again all.

SalisburySam said:
... I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. ...
Why the iCAM3 instead of LYL that Turbo3 uses?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18917&p=429802#p429802

Size?
Price?

jhm614 said:
FYI : v1.0.16 en doesn't display my VIN number.
Did the previous version display your VIN or has your VIN never been displayed by LeafSpy.

Go to the bottom of the settings menu and enable an ELM trace. Then exit and restart LeafSpy and connect to your Leaf. Let it run for a minute while connected to your Leaf then send me the TRC_xxx.txt file that was created. The email address to use in on the About screen.

Have you turned on Logging? If yes what are the file names of the log files?

SalisburySam said:
Let me thank mjblazin, EV4EVer, hieronymous, and LEAFMuranoDriver for their suggestions to help me pick out an OBDII WiFi reader. I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. I downloaded LEAFSpyPro, it installed on my iPhone6 without problem, and connected quickly to the OBDII device. Now I see what all the wonder is about, and I add my $20 and praise to Turbo3 for this amazing bit of insight into my LEAF. Not sure what it all tells me yet, but this and related MNL threads certainly mean a lot more to me now than before. Thanks again all.
Does this mean they have fixed the bug in the iCAR3 (not iCAM3) where you need to unplug it and plug again after it goes into sleep mode?

Turbo3 said:
Did the previous version display your VIN or has your VIN never been displayed by LeafSpy.

Go to the bottom of the settings menu and enable an ELM trace. Then exit and restart LeafSpy and connect to your Leaf. Let it run for a minute while connected to your Leaf then send me the TRC_xxx.txt file that was created. The email address to use in on the About screen.

Unsure if the immediately previous version did or not. Versions in the past definitely did. Also, after my pack replacement, Leaf Spy would append an ampersand to the end of my VIN.

Tuesday's (7/21) log file was named : Log_00000000_150721_89A6C

I will grab a trace file on the way home.

Thanks again for developing and maintaining this. Greatly appreciated.

jhm614 said:
Turbo3 said:

Unsure if the immediately previous version did or not. Versions in the past definitely did. Also, after my pack replacement, Leaf Spy would append an ampersand to the end of my VIN.

Tuesday's (7/21) log file was named : Log_00000000_150721_89A6C

I will grab a trace file on the way home.

Thanks again for developing and maintaining this. Greatly appreciated.
Do you have any earlier Log files without all the zeros in the name? What are their names?

The ELM trace just needs to be taken with the Leaf parked no need to drive. Just need the Leaf ON (not ACC mode) with Green Connect status on LeafSpy.

I wonder if they modified the internal VIN to mark the pack replacement. The ampersand would be an illegal VIN character and would cause a problem with my app.

jhm614 said:
Trace sent. The log files that I have all have leading 0's or leading 9's.
That had everything I needed. Thanks.

Since you had a new batttery pack installed I am guessing they changed your 2011 VCM with a new model for the newer pack in your 2011 Leaf.

Either accidentally or intentionally they added a couple of extra character to the end of the normal 17 character VIN making it 19 characters when they copied it over from the old VCM.

I have modified the code to ignore any characters after 17.

Back