Introducing myself 2015 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyNewLeaf

Hi All,

I'm set to take delivery of a 2015 Leaf S. The battery SoH comes in a little over 80. As this is a second Its going to be used as a reasonable commute and local errands car. I would have liked to have found a little better SoH but unfortunately I don't have time to shop and this one should work for us and it was a decent price considering the current environment. It does have a quick charge port which fortunately has only been used 10 times and we don't plan to use it much. Its a pretty red and I love how you can just get in and go.

Now I need to figure out my level 2 charging situation and whether I want to buy a splitvolt type switch or pig tail to share with the dryer.

Welcome to the club! I predict you'll end up using your LEAF more than you expect!

One option, if you really want to share your dryer receptacle to save money, is this device:

https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddy-plus-auto

Not an endorsement (I haven't seen nor used one), but worth exploring.

OP we had that exact car, loved it, it has more range than you will think at first since Nissan hides some away to prevent Turtle Mode.... after a while you will get to know its behavior and have faith that it gets where you need to go! And we never did anything to ours except tires.....

alozzy said:
Welcome to the club! I predict you'll end up using your LEAF more than you expect!

One option, if you really want to share your dryer receptacle to save money, is this device:

https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddy-plus-auto

Not an endorsement (I haven't seen nor used one), but worth exploring.

Nice. I have seen split volt. I'm probably going to physically unplug the dryer but I am definitely going to look into one of these. My 11 year old badgered my wife into driving it today. The GOM started at a little over 80% and 59 miles, she made a normal stop to pick up our teenager and there were still 23 miles on the GOM with her driving after a roughly about 36 miles so spot on. Also the SoH actually when went up bit today which was good

dmacarthur said:
OP we had that exact car, loved it, it has more range than you will think at first since Nissan hides some away to prevent Turtle Mode.... after a while you will get to know its behavior and have faith that it gets where you need to go! And we never did anything to ours except tires.....

Thank you. It did well on the drive home yesterday and I just pulled the stats from my wife's commute and it looked great. SoH went up and she had plenty of miles to do a lunch trip or longer side trip. So I do have a tire that looks like it might have a slow leak. Grrrrr

Hmmm..... our 2015 had a tire with a slow leak when we bought it used! not insurmountable as far as car problems go!

Just to be clear...the GOM is the 'miles to go' reading. It varies a lot depending on the last few miles of travel and is somewhat useless IMHO.

The SOC (eg 80%) reading is the BMS (battery management system) reading of how much charge is still in the battery. That is much more accurate but can vary depending on things like the temperature of the battery, which can change rapidly after starting the car on a cold day. It's probably not perfect but it is a much more reliable indicator of the charge remaining.

Sounds like you are enjoying the Leaf!

goldbrick said:
Just to be clear...the GOM is the 'miles to go' reading. It varies a lot depending on the last few miles of travel and is somewhat useless IMHO.

The SOC (eg 80%) reading is the BMS (battery management system) reading of how much charge is still in the battery. That is much more accurate but can vary depending on things like the temperature of the battery, which can change rapidly after starting the car on a cold day. It's probably not perfect but it is a much more reliable indicator of the charge remaining.

Sounds like you are enjoying the Leaf!

Absolutely but I've been impressed that the miles to go is at least a reasonable guideline as my wife is not as nerdy as me and I'm going to encourage her to use it as a commuter vehicle instead of the mini van. The SOC on the dashboard is accurate I think right? I guess I should cross check that with Leaf spy and yes it seems to be ok. The state of charge is 37.3% so again that seems to match the miles to go reasonably well. In winter definitely want to time it to finish charging and heat the car before driving though Atlanta very few super cold days

The SOC % indicator is reasonably accurate. Nissan 'hides' a bit of charge but it's close enough to work well for most people. The Guess O Meter can also be helpful to some people, primarily those whose last few minutes of driving consumption just happens to mirror their most common trip consumption. The GOM on the Gen II Leaf is improved, and seems to work for roughly half the people who drive a Gen II.

Thanks. Got my L2 charger yesterday and charged it last night using the dryer outlet. I think though instead of getting a splitter I am going to run a dedicated outlet to the garage on a 40 amp breaker. Its more cost effective, if I do it myself ) and more convenient
E83NXFDWQBURfc0

I really don't like the fake alloy wheel hub caps as they are dinged up and look stupid. Might find some plain Nissan ones or a decent set of 17 inch alloy wheels before the next tire change

Looks great! I always liked the red, but ended up with white. That's what the dealer had, and in the desert, white is not the worst color.

I always wished Nissan offered Aero wheels, but then everyone at my work who has tesla's does not use the Aero wheels.
I've asked and they said they think they are ugly.

Back