Insurance company recommendation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

I need one that you can reach during after work hours, pay claims in a timely fashion and actually pay a reasonable amount on oem parts, no agents either. Any recommendation? I am in Cali. My current insurance company is being a pain in the ass, I am so pissed with them that I am going to drop them after seven years.

Oh yes I want a mutual company too

I have geico, not had a problem yet. everything is nice and smooth. they have an app on my mobile phone and it does pretty much everything.

What issues are you having with yours?

I work in auto insurance claims, have for 15+ years. You really need to shop around. Everyone's personal experience isn't going to have a lot of bearing on your situation. A lot of insurance policies are written off the same "base" form, so they're typically very similar in what they cover. Many of them are also similar in the OEM policy (if that's an issue for you). The claim experience will depend largely on the adjuster handling your claim. Some are better than others, and all companies have that. My recommendation is to shop around, ask questions and decide who offers you the most for your money. Also, make sure you really understand what your policy entitles you to, and what it doesn't. That's where 90% of the frustration people have with insurance comes from. They usually don't read their policy and/or don't understand what it covers.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I went with GEICO. Cheapest of all insurers I tried, and was able to get an NMFA discount. When it comes to insurance, your mileage will vary drastically.

kubel said:
I went with GEICO. Cheapest of all insurers I tried, and was able to get an NMFA discount. When it comes to insurance, your mileage will vary drastically.

Geico might be fine for the insured. But you never want to get in an accident with someone with Geico. This assumes the other party is at fault. God Speed. They're slow and unorganized. Get hit by somebody a well known repuable comapany with local folks and you'll have a check from them in a few days.

If you're a Costco member, you may want to give their insurance service (Ameriprise) a try (link is at the bottom of the Costco website)...Their quote for me went from $540/6 months for full coverage with 2 cars (from 21st Century) down to $287/6 months for the same coverage...

TULeaf said:
kubel said:

Geico might be fine for the insured. But you never want to get in an accident with someone with Geico. This assumes the other party is at fault. God Speed. They're slow and unorganized. Get hit by somebody a well known repuable comapany with local folks and you'll have a check from them in a few days.

This illustrates my point perfectly. One person has what they perceive as a bad experience with Geico and paint a broad brush about the company as a whole. Or make an assumption that a company with "local folks" will get them a check in days. Not at all trying to pick on the posting person here, just demonstrating. It could have been one bad adjuster, or even a good one having a bad day or who knows. Actually, my experience with them is that they're not all that bad as a whole. And "local folks" can mean different things. If it's someone to appraise your car, most companies have that. If its' an adjuster to meet you face to face, very few have that.

Sounds like you are new to the state, you may try AAA as they are very good all around, I had GEICO and left because of their games with claims, went back to AAA.

EVDRIVER said:
Sounds like you are new to the state, you may try AAA as they are very good all around, I had GEICO and left because of their games with claims, went back to AAA.

YMMV. AAA wanted double that of Allstate. Back when I was on my parents' policy, I was not impressed with their service or the way they treated me afterward. Granted this was 30 years ago, but I hold grudges for a long time :shock:

As mentioned earlier, shop around. Companies do assess risks differently and what is ideal for one company is "don't touch with a 10 foot pole" for another.

Back