2022 Nissan 40kw battery self-discharging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafNissan1

My original 2022 Leaf SV (40kw) bought new in December of 2021 and with only 3K miles was rear-ended 2 months ago and totaled by the insurance company. I replaced it with a used 2022 Leaf SV with 10,850 miles, purchased from the same dealership. I only drive the Leaf occasionally and when the latest Leaf was delivered to my residence I put it in my garage and didn't drive it for 16 days. I noticed that the SOC percentage had dropped from approximately 90% to 69% (with an indicated range of 94 miles) during the time of non-use in my garage in S. California. I found this strange as I'd never experienced any drop whatsoever in my previous Leaf while not being used, much less one of 20%.

On the first trip after the 16 day period of storage, at the end of a 24 mile drive the SOC went from the 69% down to 55% with an indicated range of 91 miles. Thinking it may have been a balancing problem, I charged it to 100%, unplugged and let it sit over night. In the morning it was down to 98%, I recharged and left plugged in for 24 hours. 2 days later it was indicating a 98% SOC with a range of 165 miles. It was then driven 39 miles and at the end of that drive the SOC was 76%, range was 128 miles and the m/kWh for that trip was 5.2 indicated, (I'm a hyper-miler and have always been able to achieve around 5 miles per kw with my original Leaf). Now 4 days later the indicated SOC had dropped from 76% to 70% while just sitting in the garage.

My current Leafspy numbers show: 40kwh AHr= 106.9 SOH= 92.6% SOC= 72.4% 374.52v Hx= 103.79% odo= 10,920 mi 77 QC's &253 L1/L2s

Anyone have any ideas on what the reason could be for this drop in SOC while not being driven? I'm planning on taking into the dealer for them to do a diagnostic. My Leaf salesman, who I've bought both 2022's and a 2023 Leaf from and who also drives a Leaf says he has never encountered this type of a problem and he has a long history with the Leaf.

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not kw. "miles per kw" is incorrect. It should be miles per kWh.

Ignore the guess-o-meter (GOM), the silly number with miles.

I don't think it's possible for the 12 volt battery to "eat" that much of the charge, but check it anyway. Some sort of 12 volt system parasitic drain should at least be eliminated. Do you ever see a single dashboard charge indicator light blinking, for no apparent reason?

LeafNissan1 said:
My original 2022 Leaf SV (40kw) bought new in December of 2021 and with only 3K miles was rear-ended 2 months ago and totaled by the insurance company. I replaced it with a used 2022 Leaf SV with 10,850 miles, purchased from the same dealership. I only drive the Leaf occasionally and when the latest Leaf was delivered to my residence I put it in my garage and didn't drive it for 16 days. I noticed that the SOC percentage had dropped from approximately 90% to 69% (with an indicated range of 94 miles) during the time of non-use in my garage in S. California. I found this strange as I'd never experienced any drop whatsoever in my previous Leaf while not being used, much less one of 20%.

On the first trip after the 16 day period of storage, at the end of a 24 mile drive the SOC went from the 69% down to 55% with an indicated range of 91 miles. Thinking it may have been a balancing problem, I charged it to 100%, unplugged and let it sit over night. In the morning it was down to 98%, I recharged and left plugged in for 24 hours. 2 days later it was indicating a 98% SOC with a range of 165 miles. It was then driven 39 miles and at the end of that drive the SOC was 76%, range was 128 miles and the m/kWh for that trip was 5.2 indicated, (I'm a hyper-miler and have always been able to achieve around 5 miles per kw with my original Leaf). Now 4 days later the indicated SOC had dropped from 76% to 70% while just sitting in the garage.

My current Leafspy numbers show: 40kwh AHr= 106.9 SOH= 92.6% SOC= 72.4% 374.52v Hx= 103.79% odo= 10,920 mi 77 QC's &253 L1/L2s

Anyone have any ideas on what the reason could be for this drop in SOC while not being driven? I'm planning on taking into the dealer for them to do a diagnostic. My Leaf salesman, who I've bought both 2022's and a 2023 Leaf from and who also drives a Leaf says he has never encountered this type of a problem and he has a long history with the Leaf.

Issue has been resolved.

I received the same question in response to the above post on both the Reddit and SpeakEV Leaf forums which was: "Have you checked the Climate timer?"

Sure enough, I had never thought to check for this. Living in San Diego I had never used the Climate control timer on my previous Leaf but obviously the previous owner of the car I just bought had been using it and had it set to come on everyday at 7:30 am, 90 minutes before I roll out of bed, so never noticed or thought to check it. I had done a reset to default on all of the other settings but the Climate timer was still active.

After disabling the Climate timer last night, I checked this morning and there was zero discharge, so happily I'll not need to be dealing with this issue any further.

I agree: makes no sense. Not to be cynical, but I doubt a trip to the dealer will reveal anything.
If you want feedback from the forum, I suggest you post the cell voltage graph from LeafSpy. A weak/bad cell(s) can create strange SOC behavior...and it might also help to drive it down to a lower SOC to see if it gets any worse.

LeafNissan1 said:
Was this an un-heated garage in December? I can't imagine temperature being so cold in Southern California that the pack heater would have to kick in to keep the battery above 0 F? That would be the first guess.

Another guess would be someone using the EV app to pre-heat (or pre-cool) the Leaf over and over but not realizing it. :?

Typically, my old 2013 SV (with much less battery capacity than the modern Leafs of today) would lose about 1% of battery charge, per month in fair weather conditions.

Ok, after reading this, something is certainly leeching power then. Was this a recent trip in the much more pleasant weather of this month?

Yes, this is a unique problem. Unless the dealership is going to be connecting power meters to monitor all the systems of the Leaf, just doing a code scan or LeafSpy check will probably not solve the issue, but something is certainly "leeching" power somehow, from the main battery even when off (and thus no relays energizing the Leaf), which might mean some kind of internal battery pack problem. :(

AFAIK, the climate control, when activated remotely, will only run for 15 minutes if the car is unplugged. If the onboard timer can make the climate control run for much longer, then that's not good engineering by Nissan. I do hope, in this case, though, that it was the problem.

Back