I'm looking to purchase a used 2015 or 2016 Leaf, will it be worth it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far is your daily commute or required driving distance? That will help inform on how much battery degradation you could accept in a used car.

How far is your daily commute or required driving distance? That will help inform on how much battery degradation you could accept in a used car.
I just purchased a 15 with 115,000 miles on the odometer. Drove it home, 51 miles and the battery was almost dead on arrival. But, I charged it overnight (with 120v cable) and it was "100%" in the morning. Since my average daily mileage is less the ten miles, almost never 50, this will work fine. Probably only need to charge the car once a week. If you have a short commute, low range is fine.
Best of Luck!

What should I look for in the battery and mileage? What should I stay away from?
Mileage isn't as important as HV battery condition. New vehicles have 12 bars of battery health, so that's the first thing to look for in a used car. If you want to go further, research Leaf Spy Pro; it's an OBD2 scanner that will give you more details on the health of the battery. Leaf Spy Pro might be a bit tricky since you don't have a Leaf to practice using the APP on.

I wouldn't buy any used Leaf (or battery pack) without putting LeafSpy Pro on it; you can post a couple of screen shots here, but you need to look at AHrs and cell voltage spreads (at low SOC). Having said that, I think Gen1 Leafs make good commuter cars (I've had mine over 10 years now).

The SOH dash display is really misleading too. An 11 bar Leaf isn't down at least 1/12th (about 8%) but it's really down at least about 1/6th or 15%.

Mileage isn't as important as HV battery condition. New vehicles have 12 bars of battery health, so that's the first thing to look for in a used car. If you want to go further, research Leaf Spy Pro; it's an OBD2 scanner that will give you more details on the health of the battery. Leaf Spy Pro might be a bit tricky since you don't have a Leaf to practice using the APP on.
Thank You will get that

I wouldn't buy any used Leaf (or battery pack) without putting LeafSpy Pro on it; you can post a couple of screen shots here, but you need to look at AHrs and cell voltage spreads (at low SOC). Having said that, I think Gen1 Leafs make good commuter cars (I've had mine over 10 years now).
Thank you I will get that

Back