I Won the Use of a Nissan GT-R for a Day!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some odd reason, I've found myself more interested than usual in the road and track tests of the Nissan GT-R in the back issues of the car magazines that litter my house.

Wow, 530 bhp at 6400 rpm, 448 lb-ft of torque at 3200 rpm, naught to 60 in 2.9 freaking seconds! (Motor Trend April 2011).

That 0-60 time beat the Corvette Z06 by 0.9 seconds and Shelby GT Mustang with 550 bhp by 1.2 sec. Quarter miles were similarly impressive.

This car deserves my serious attention. And it won't be going on a serene cruise up the coast with the wife. Cruising in the LEAF is more her style, and a day in a GT-R together would just be frustrating for both of us.

I'm not going to be unsafe in it, and I am serious about not getting any tickets that day, but I am going to enjoy myself, that's for sure.

JPVLeaf said:
- Long and straights? Vegas trip?
- Twisties? Take your pick of local mtn roads.
Why am I thinking of "The Hangover"? :lol:

I say aim for the mountains, after loading up the car with energy drinks!! You can sleep later!!

TRONZ said:
Well done and Congrats! If you give it back to them with 4 usable tires I will be disappointed.
+1!!

Edit: BTW, my Leaf dealer makes folks take a two hour classroom training session before you can drive a GT-R. I'm curious what they'll have you go through.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to the race track outside of Las Vegas...to watch my friend do a few laps in a GT-R (and a Ferrari F430 F1 and a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560)

JPVLeaf said:
Boomer23 said:
For some odd reason, ....
:lol:

Boomer23 said:
This car deserves my serious attention.
Are you going to need a helmet ... at this place where you'll be bonding with the GT-R?! :eek:

I don't think so, JPV, but thanks. Just public roads for me, no racetracks. The closed roof combined with rolled up windows is pretty adequate, right? :lol:

AndyH said:
Anyone? Anyone? Boomer?

What can I tell you, Andy my friend? You want more news?

I'll probably stop by Connell Nissan tomorrow and talk with Mark and Elise about the car and the details. I know that it won't be a brand new GT-R, it would be foolish to put miles on a brand new $90,000 car, especially with someone like me (or any of us :lol: ) behind the wheel. So I imagine that it'll be a demonstrator. And I don't know what model year it will be, either. I'm busy reading up on the GT-R, so that I'll know a bit more about it, and I may visit the dealership to sit in one before the day when I pick it up, for more familiarization with all of the (many, many) bells and whistles.

I haven't set a date yet. I'm waiting on a good friend of mine who loves cars and whose dear wife has just had serious surgery at UCLA. She is recovering well and I want to time my GT-R day partly as a treat for him, perhaps one Saturday morning when he feels like he can leave her long enough to go and have some rorty fun. If he's up for it, we may stop by the local car gathering of serious gearheads, Cars & Coffee in Irvine, early, early in the morning. Then do some driving on local roads and freeways before they get crowded, and then stop at a breakfast gathering of my local LEAF mates to show off the car, followed by some back country road driving. I'll probably have the car for some time the previous Friday afternoon or evening, and I haven't decided whether I'll try a trip up toward Ventura to visit another car loving friend on Friday, or if that is too much to try to fit in.

More as it develops.

Boomer23 said:
AndyH said:
Anyone? Anyone? Boomer?

What can I tell you, Andy my friend? You want more news?

I'll probably stop by Connell Nissan tomorrow and talk with Mark and Elise about the car and the details. I know that it won't be a brand new GT-R, it would be foolish to put miles on a brand new $90,000 car, especially with someone like me (or any of us :lol: ) behind the wheel. So I imagine that it'll be a demonstrator. And I don't know what model year it will be, either. I'm busy reading up on the GT-R, so that I'll know a bit more about it, and I may visit the dealership to sit in one before the day when I pick it up, for more familiarization with all of the (many, many) bells and whistles.

I haven't set a date yet. I'm waiting on a good friend of mine who loves cars and whose dear wife has just had serious surgery at UCLA. She is recovering well and I want to time my GT-R day partly as a treat for him, perhaps one Saturday morning when he feels like he can leave her long enough to go and have some rorty fun. If he's up for it, we may stop by the local car gathering of serious gearheads, Cars & Coffee in Irvine, early, early in the morning. Then do some driving on local roads and freeways before they get crowded, and then stop at a breakfast gathering of my local LEAF mates to show off the car, followed by some back country road driving. I'll probably have the car for some time the previous Friday afternoon or evening, and I haven't decided whether I'll try a trip up toward Ventura to visit another car loving friend on Friday, or if that is too much to try to fit in.

More as it develops.

I "drooled" over a GTR (red one) at Mossy Nissan in Oceanside today, while I was adding some juice to the Leaf. All I can say is:

WOWZER!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Did the drive happen yet? If so what'd you think? Definitely louder than the Leaf. Half the time you think the transmission is going to fall out right? But boy I love that sound. The clang of mechanical sounds is what excites me every time. That and the break neck acceleration. Oddly when I'm in the Leaf it's the dead silence that I love. In the GT-R its the gurgle, the turbo whine, and transmission.

If you haven't driven it yet I'd stake out a long stretch of empty road. Put everything into RRR. Hit the brake and then accelerator all the way. Watch the rev's climb then let go of the brake and launch. I'd just do that all day long. Wish I could trade in for a '12. Nissan really got it right with the '12.

I got a drive. I must admit that I found the experience a bit perplexing. The car was compliant a city speeds, but the transmission seemed to constantly be hunting through gears trying to find the right one. However, once we got it onto the highway it was a bit more fun, especially when I "gave it the beans"! :D I can't say it was $85k's worth of fun in my book. But I reserve the right to change my mind in case I ever get use of one for a track day.

AndyN said:
Did the drive happen yet? If so what'd you think? Definitely louder than the Leaf. Half the time you think the transmission is going to fall out right? But boy I love that sound. The clang of mechanical sounds is what excites me every time. That and the break neck acceleration. Oddly when I'm in the Leaf it's the dead silence that I love. In the GT-R its the gurgle, the turbo whine, and transmission.

If you haven't driven it yet I'd stake out a long stretch of empty road. Put everything into RRR. Hit the brake and then accelerator all the way. Watch the rev's climb then let go of the brake and launch. I'd just do that all day long. Wish I could trade in for a '12. Nissan really got it right with the '12.

Yep, it was quite a 24 hours, plus a few. I got a red 2010 model with upgraded wheels and tires. I didn't realize that the wheels and tires weren't stock until I returned the car to the dealer, so I didn't write down the tire dimensions. I think it might have had a Stillen exhaust, as well. It had less than 2600 miles on it. It was originally owned by a well known racing driver.

Everything you say about the car is right. Just an amazing piece of engineering in every respect. Even driving in Auto mode, the car always feels "on cam" and ready to go. Very little lag on acceleration from low speeds, and then "whoa, baby", just hang on and enjoy the ride. If you haven't driven this car, or something very much like it, of which there are few, you don't really understand what it feels like to drive a car that can accelerate to 60 mph in well under 4 seconds. You can talk about it and you can imagine it, but in person, it is just addictive. The transmission is the center of the car. With the twin clutch system, shifts are super quick in either manual or auto mode. At low speeds, you feel and hear the transmission working, and as my friend mentioned, it is actually much smoother to be in manual shift mode. But on freeway ramps and when really accelerating, I mostly just left it in Auto and hung on for dear life.

The other thing that was so different from any car I've driven was the handling on high speed ramps and curves. I don't think I ever heard a tire squeal and the car just held the line that I chose without a hint of concern that it would slide or skid. So cornering was the most secure experience ever. I just knew that on mountain roads, this car would be easier to drive than a lesser car. Just confidence inspiring.

Now all that being said, I'm not depressed about having to give the car back after a day. It was a full time, involving experience driving that car. It is loud, jouncy and noisy whenever the engine is on. The steering is compliant and properly assisted, but stiff, so you know your arms are working. It was a great, never to be forgotten experience, but I was happy to be driving my LEAF again. It is such a relaxing and comfortable car, and it can give me a grin when I step on it, as well.

Speaking of grins, I told several people, and many who drove the GTR agreed, many sports cars give you an automatic grin as soon as you turn a corner in them, but with the GTR, you grin and then you just start shaking your head in amazement. That head shaking amazement was the feeling that I'll remember forever.

Many, many thanks to Mark and Elise Ranauro at Connell Nissan, for this fantastic, once in a lifetime opportunity to drive a dream car. Every interaction that I've had with either of these fine people, from well before I ordered my LEAF, through the ordering and delivery process, to this moment, has been of the highest caliber. I can't recommend Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa highly enough.

Pictures from my GTR experience to come in the next few days.

Boomer23 said:
AndyN said:

Yep, it was quite a 24 hours, plus a few. I got a red 2010 model with upgraded wheels and tires. I didn't realize that the wheels and tires weren't stock until I returned the car to the dealer, so I didn't write down the tire dimensions. I think it might have had a Stillen exhaust, as well.

Everything you say about the car is right. Just an amazing piece of engineering in every respect. Even driving in Auto mode, the car always feels "on cam" and ready to go. Very little lag on acceleration from low speeds, and then "whoa, baby", just hang on and enjoy the ride. If you haven't driven this car, or something very much like it, of which there are few, you don't really understand what it feels like to drive a car that can accelerate to 60 mph in well under 4 seconds. You can talk about it and you can imagine it, but in person, it is just addictive. The transmission is the center of the car. With the twin clutch system, shifts are super quick in either manual or auto mode. At low speeds, you feel and hear the transmission working, and as my friend mentioned, it is actually much smoother to be in manual shift mode. But on freeway ramps and when really accelerating, I mostly just left it in Auto and hung on for dear life.

The other thing that was so different from any car I've driven was the handling on high speed ramps and curves. I don't think I ever heard a tire squeal and the car just held the line that I chose without a hint of concern that it would slide or skid. So cornering was the most secure experience ever. I just knew that on mountain roads, this car would be easier to drive than a lesser car. Just confidence inspiring.

Now all that being said, I'm not depressed about having to give the car back after a day. It was a full time, involving experience driving that car. It is loud, jouncy and noisy whenever the engine is on. The steering is compliant and properly assisted, but stiff, so you know your arms are working. It was a great, never to be forgotten experience, but I was happy to be driving my LEAF again. It is such a relaxing and comfortable car, and it can give me a grin when I step on it, as well.

Speaking of grins, I told several people, and many who drove the GTR agreed, many sports cars give you an automatic grin as soon as you turn a corner in them, but with the GTR, you grin and then you just start shaking your head in amazement. That head shaking amazement was the feeling that I'll remember forever.

Many, many thanks to Mark and Elise Ranauro at Connell Nissan, for this fantastic, once in a lifetime opportunity to drive a dream car. Every interaction that I've had with either of these fine people, from well before I ordered my LEAF, through the ordering and delivery process, to this moment, has been of the highest caliber. I can't recommend Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa highly enough.

Pictures from my GTR experience to come in the next few days.

Very cool Boomer. That's exactly how I feel when I drive it. It's just planted and secure. The AWD system is fantastic and it doesn't hesitate to rocket forward or cut a corner quickly. I know some say it makes it too easy to go fast and thus not a "driver's car" but that's what I like. I like it to do what I want it to do without fighting it. I'd like to feel in control without the feeling of being on the edge of a disaster. Call me a wuss but I'm just not skilled enough to fight back ends.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Amazing that a dealer let you drive it. It's as hard to get a test drive in as the Leaf. I'm happy the wife let me get my midlife crisis on early but with 2 kids she won't let me take it to the track. Back roads and on ramps for me. Sigh.....

xtremeflyer said:
cdub said:
Release the electric GTR already. :)
Maybe "daniel" can attempt an electric GR after he gets his Porsche electrified.

"daniel" recently got a Tesla Roadster, so I think he is all set in the performance department now.

It wouldn't take much to make the LEAF feel a lot more secure in the corners - just some stiffer springs/shocks and some R-compound tires would go a long ways.

I rode along on an auto-x course in a lightly modded Subaru WRX STi which had basic suspension mods - coilovers, wheels and tires which were set up nicely. Compared to my WRX wagon with slightly stiffer springs, stock shocks and stock wheels/tires it was AMAZING. Endless levels of grip and with another 0.5l and 80 hp that the STi has it's night and day. And most people consider the WRX a decently quick car!

But really - the majority of the difference was in suspension setup and tires - I have no doubt that with a decent suspension setup and some slightly stickier tires the LEAF would do very well on the curves. The trick will be finding some decent tires with similar levels of rolling resistance because while I wouldn't mind a bit more grip - I don't want to give up efficiency, either!

Back