I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread wasn't obvious to me initially because of that "281" magic number ;-)

Anyways, I don't have any other SOC tools but from the Blink Network website:

Charging for 80% from 4 miles left on the Leaf the other day;
4.33 hours 16.91 kWh
When I checked on my Leaf, it shows 83% SOC.

I suppose without more advanced tools, there is no way to extrapolate to 281 ?

When Carwings (CW) shows 12 Bars, even if the 12th Bar is only half full, it displays 100%.

Likewise, if CW shows 10 bars, it displays 83%, independent of how "full" the 10th Bar actually is.

Charging to 80% "normally" fills the 10th bar just a bit over half full, so CW shows 10 bars, and displays 83%.

However, sometimes the charging stops just a bit short of 10.5 bars full, and only 9 bars are displayed, and CW displays 75%, even though the 10th bar is almost half full.

So, do not attempt to use CW's displayed "percentage" value for anything meaningful.

In this thread, we are talking about the internal (4 to 281) value that the LEAF calculates (no, we do not know how) and appears to use to trigger Low Battery Warning (LBW at 49), Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW at 24), and Turtle mode (at 4).

Since this value has been occasionally observed as high as 281 after "charging to 100%", we are currently using this 281 value as "100%".

Others have recently (with some levity) dubbed this value a "gid", since it is the value that I am using in the "SOC-Meter" (see the "Leaf CANBus" sub-forum) to to display an approximate State-Of-Charge value that has a kot more Resolution than the rather Coarse "Bars" e-fuel gauge.

mxp said:
Charging for 80% from 4 miles left on the Leaf the other day;
4.33 hours 16.91 kWh
When I checked on my Leaf, it shows 83% SOC.

I suppose without more advanced tools, there is no way to extrapolate to 281 ?

CarWings and the "4 miles left" meter on the LEAF are both poor examples of accurate energy available. Certainly better than nothing, just not accurate.

Your Blink is reporting energy pulled from the electric grid, not actually put in the battery.

Generally, 16.91kWh times 85% is what went in the battery.

281# and 231# might be "normal" for you at 80% and 100%..
For me it's more like 272# and 224#...

Also I'm sure someone else must have noticed this, but I find it somewhat annoying that the likelihood of a "bar" vanishing goes up dramatically if you power down then power up the car again.. "oh, he just turned on the car, let's take a way a bar!".. One time I even saw the "gid" # go UP as I turned on the car and one of the 12 bars vanished..

mwalsh said:
Got another 100% / 281 gids event this morning. Back to having no clue why. :lol: But I do seem to be getting better results of late.
What are your driving / charging habits again? I believe you drive ~60 mi / day mostly freeway 65 mph and charge to 100% daily, right? How many gids do you normally have when you get home?

GregH said:
281# and 231# might be "normal" for you at 80% and 100%..
For me it's more like 272# and 224#...
Those appear to be "normal" numbers for me as well (haven't had my Gid-o-meter very long).

Also I'm sure someone else must have noticed this, but I find it somewhat annoying that the likelihood of a "bar" vanishing goes up dramatically if you power down then power up the car again.. "oh, he just turned on the car, let's take a way a bar!"
Yes, exactly why I am glad I got my SOC meter.

mwalsh said:
drees said:
I believe you drive ~60 mi / day mostly freeway 65 mph and charge to 100% daily, right? How many gids do you normally have when you get home?
You are correct.

I've never counted gids in the evening, but I typically have between 27-31% SOC left, depending on how I drive.
Thanks - do you use a charge timer or just L2 charge as soon as you get home and leave it plugged in all night?

Just looking for way for people w/low gid counts to get theirs higher. Seems like frequent significant discharges/charges is the key... People who seem to normally charge to 80% seem to have lower gid counts than people who normally charge to 100% which indicates that cell balancing is the likely cause of low gid counts.

drees said:
Just looking for way for people w/low gid counts to get theirs higher. Seems like frequent significant discharges/charges is the key... People who seem to normally charge to 80% seem to have lower gid counts than people who normally charge to 100% which indicates that cell balancing is the likely cause of low gid counts.
Like mwalsh i also drive ~60 miles Mon-Fri @65 M/h and charge to 100% capacity everyday. Do you think it is better to charge 100%, instead of the recommended 80%?

teamveevee said:
Like mwalsh i also drive ~60 miles Mon-Fri @65 M/h and charge to 100% capacity everyday. Do you think it is better to charge 100%, instead of the recommended 80%?
Better for getting those last few electrons into the battery for maximum range - yes. Better for long-term capacity - no way.

I almost always charge to 80 percent with a 100 percent charge maybe once or twice a month when I need the extra range. I borrowed a meter last week to see what I was getting when I charged and was happy to see 280 on an overnight 100 percent charge.
This was with an ambient of around 72 degrees and 5 bars of bat temp when I started the charge...

Edit: Sorry, typo on the raw number!

teamveevee said:
Do you think it is better to charge 100%, instead of the recommended 80%?

I find it better for my peace of mind. I would much rather get home with a good cushion than with the electrical equivalent of fumes. However, I would settle for charging to 90%, since that top 10% bleeds away very, very quickly, what with no regeneration at all for most of it.

I don't think it has been established that a higher max gid count is better. It is possible the sw compensates for deterioration by increasing the target. I know it's wishful thinking coming from me, but I would be careful since Nissan (who has been researching this battery a lot longer than us) clearly indicates that 80% charge is better than 100% for longevity. If there is data showing people who regularly charge to 100% have a higher maxgid than those who charge to 80%, I think it certainly raises the question.

I just charged to 100% today (for cell balancing only) and my ScanGauge only shows 94% which is at the 'low' end of 12 bars. When I charge to 80% it always shows 77%.

LEAFfan said:
I just charged to 100% today (for cell balancing only) and my ScanGauge only shows 94% which is at the 'low' end of 12 bars. When I charge to 80% it always shows 77%.

You normally only charge to 80%, correct? And the previous charges to this 100% charge were 80% charges, correct?

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:

You normally only charge to 80%, correct? And the previous charges to this 100% charge were 80% charges, correct?

Yes.
Yes.

I have kept track of readings after charging for the past month. Most of my charges have been to 80%.

For "100%"- highest reading 280 gids (gotten today, my highest ever); lowest was 263.
For "80%"- highest reading 231; lowest 217

91040 said:
I have kept track of readings after charging for the past month. Most of my charges have been to 80%.

For "100%"- highest reading 280 gids (gotten today, my highest ever); lowest was 263.
For "80%"- highest reading 231; lowest 217
Wow, that's a lot of variability for one Leaf. Any hints on factors that might have an effect (e.g., temperature)?

Back