I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Who with an SOC-Meter in AZ can link up with LEAFfan
to compare "soc%" readings?
LeafFan just met me at work and we compare results. On my car, I read 60.8% (171 gids) using my kit SOCmeter and got a reading of 60.4% using Leaffan's scanguage. If scanguage is normalizing to 281, then it means I dropped a gid in the time it took to switch meters. Wish I thought to put the SOCmeter back on after using the scanguage. I think this does rule out my meter as the reason for my low readings, though.

Boomer23 said:
Mine's been 280 to 281 pretty reliably for a couple of weeks. This morning it was 271. But it's been crazy hot here, so I'm thinking temperature is rearing it's ugly head. Update to come tomorrow, since it's still hot here.

275 this morning, charging from 199 the night before. Still possibly a temperature effect since it was a warm day yesterday.

After my 1st day with my GGid-SOC meter, I charged from
61.9 (174/281) to
82.2 (231/281) for a "80%" charge, and then to
100.0 (281/281) for a "100%" charge.

It is nice to have access to this information now. Thanks, GaryGid. :p

My typical charging pattern is approx 4 - 5 hrs to 100% during weekdays,
occasional 1/2 - 1 hr weeknights, and as needed (to <100%) on weekends.
My avg. mileage is ~1600/mo.

JPVLeaf said:
It is nice to have access to this information now. Thanks, GaryGid. :p

My typical charging pattern is approx 4 - 5 hrs to 100% during weekdays,
and then maybe 1/2 - 1 hr weeknights. And, as needed (to <100%), on the
weekends. My avg. mileage is ~1600/mo.
I'm about the same as you--I charge to 100% 5 nights a week, and sometimes 6. They say it's best not to start charging until you are below 80% SOC. In fact, in the Nissan battery check, they would call you out if you did it repeatedly. I should scan the form and post. Fortunately, you get a good sense of when you're below 80% with the SOC meter. I like watching it during regen, where I've gotten as much as 44 kW.

I posted this in Daveinolywa's thread, but thought I'd report here as well, since this is the main "281 gids" thread.

After 6 days of 280 to 281 at full charge, I was getting mid-270s, with one charge as low as 271. I decided to charge to 80% once, instead of my usual 100%, to see if it would do anything, like stimulate a rebalancing or something. Lo and behold, I was back to 281 again for three days. Today I was back to 275.

Who knows? As Randy Quaid's character Cousin Eddie says in "Christmas Vacation": "She falls down a well, her eyes go crossed, gets kicked by a mule, eyes go back again. Go figure."

I had something interesting happen today. I charged to 100% (for cell balancing) and left it plugged in for over 3 hours past the full charging (balancing has made no dif yet) and my gauge showed 92% SOC, but CarWings said 100%. I had regular regen (10-20kW) from the beginning. When I first got the car, I had NO regen after a 100% charge. It felt just like 'N'.

Carwings only gets "Fuel Bars", not SOC. So, 12 Fuel Bars always shows as 100% in Carwings.

Perhaps the amount of Regen enabled is directly related to our "soc" value?

So, what will be happening as the Battery Pack starts losing capacity?

We need to find the value that sets the Capacity Bars.

I think I know where the 0 to 12 Capacity Bars are in the EV-CAN messages (see Recipes).

I've noticed that I am able to "top off" a 100% charge in the morning. Even though it completed at 10pm the night before and I left it plugged in, if I press the timer override button in the morning, the charger turns on for 15-20 mins and I pick up another 3 gids.

garygid said:
Carwings only gets "Fuel Bars", not SOC. So, 12 Fuel Bars always shows as 100% in Carwings.

CarWings shows SOC% as well as the bars. For instance, when CarWings shows 10 bars and 83%, my gauge shows about 77%.

Yes, Carwings SHOWS a "Charge Percentage" number, but it only gets (as far as we know now) the number of BARs from the LEAF, and has no idea how "full" the Bar actually is.

Then, Carwings shows the Bars and a Fixed "Charge Percentage" that it has assigned to each Bar.

For example, showing 12 Bars will always display 100% "charge percentage", even when the top Bar is partly (or almost entirely) empty.

So, these percentages shown by Carwings are primarily for "decoration" only, not for any serious use.

LEAFfan said:
CarWings shows 10 bars and 83%, my gauge shows about 77%.

There's no connection between the two. The 83% number is simply 10 fuel bars divided by 12 equals 0.83.

CarWings will only report:

12 fuel bars = 100%
11 fuel bars = 92%
10 fuel bars = 83%
etc

Back