I am going to buy a Leaf instead of leasing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Steve in WA has 80,000 miles in near perfect LEAF weather and has lot over 20% of his range. you are far from being in perfect weather conditions.

Yes, but his SOC range is pretty large, far larger than ideal. I'm somewhat amazed he has done as well as he has. Also, the life to 80% of capacity should be about half of the life to 70% of capacity. If we take 70% as the EOL, Steve would end up at about 150k miles.

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Steve in WA has 80,000 miles in near perfect LEAF weather and has lot over 20% of his range. you are far from being in perfect weather conditions.

Yes, but his SOC range is pretty large, far larger than ideal. I'm somewhat amazed he has done as well as he has. Also, the life to 80% of capacity should be about half of the life to 70% of capacity. If we take 70% as the EOL, Steve would end up at about 150k miles.

cant go by just mileage. time seems to be a factor as well. I am just behind him in loss but less than half his mileage. it is not a linear loss.

interested in anyone in this area who has at least 30,000 miles and has done little or no fast charging to see if that is a factor at all.

as for me; my fast charging has been low key. a lot of sessions but short ones and only one time did i see 7 temperature bars and that was only for a brief time.

the other thing could be the weather. i could easily gain back half the 25 GID i have lost recently come Winter or I might not. what I am beginning to think is my GID count was inflated last Winter

DaveinOlyWA said:
cant go by just mileage. time seems to be a factor as well. I am just behind him in loss but less than half his mileage. it is not a linear loss.

interested in anyone in this area who has at least 30,000 miles and has done little or no fast charging to see if that is a factor at all.

Yes. I wonder why your capacity is as low as it is. I suspect that there will be other factors that will prove significant other than time, air temperature and mileage.

DCQC? I think you have done a lot of DCQC's, but not to the point of a very hot battery. Does it still matter?
Often using the full 80kW acceleration? Often using high rates of regenerative braking? And how often is often?
Mountain driving? I wonder how the mountain Leafs will do longer term.
Garage temperature?
SOC average and SOC range? I suspect you have a lot of range of SOC here, but perhaps not as much as Steve in Kent.
Something else?

There are more questions than answers now, and I'm not even sure what questions to ask.

Something to remember is that we will hear the bad new first.

The answer is that you're looking at the wrong car. Get a Volt. You'll never use any gas with your 35 mile commute and the TMS and (maybe) better and more stable chemistry will ensure you battery doesn't die. Buy one. Use it for 100,000 miles. Then use it for another 100,000. Given that the Leaf's battery doesn't stand up to punishment very well, the Volt is the obvious choice. Plus you can take the kids to Florida or DC on vacation.

RonDawg said:
georgia2013's commute is 35 miles one way and plans on charging at work.
Thanks. This made things clear.

SanDust said:
The answer is that you're looking at the wrong car. Get a Volt. You'll never use any gas with your 35 mile commute and the TMS and (maybe) better and more stable chemistry will ensure you battery doesn't die. Buy one. Use it for 100,000 miles. Then use it for another 100,000. Given that the Leaf's battery doesn't stand up to punishment very well, the Volt is the obvious choice. Plus you can take the kids to Florida or DC on vacation.

As long as the OP has reliable charging at work, and isn't planning to use the car for long distance travel I don't see why the Leaf won't work for him.Your scenario of "never using any gas" is also counting on him being able to charge at work.

Also, can you get a Volt for the kind of down payment/monthly payments he's looking at? The reason the Leaf got his attention is because he feels his purchase payments will be totally offset by his fuel savings. Once the car is paid off in 5 years, the car will be paying him back as long as it can still take him 35 miles to work, and he still has reliable workplace charging.

DaveinOlyWA said:
You should post this on the FB page (don't remember seeing it). I don't think there is anyone ...

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
You should post this on the FB page (don't remember seeing it). I don't think there is anyone ...

i did a while back. problem with living in the area that probably has more fast chargers than any other place in the country is finding someone who drives a lot but does not use them...

DaveinOlyWA said:
i did a while back. problem with living in the area that probably has more fast chargers than any other place in the country is finding someone who drives a lot but does not use them...
Nut even people who use QC - have they lost as much capacity as you ?

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Nut even people who use QC - have they lost as much capacity as you ?

no, have one that has already lost a capacity bar and he has slightly less mileage than me. i think most simply dont have an idea of what they have lost due to the flakiness of the instrumentation.

i cant help but notice that the distance i lose my first bar is not all that different from when the car was new. its the middle bars that disappear quicker. for people that dont have a meter, they have no real warning unless they drive at or near the range limits of their LEAF. most dont, most dont even come close...

**edit** actually he has more mileage than me and would appear our degradation rates are similar. he lost his first bar at 44,000 miles and I am currently at 240-242 GID with just under 38,000 miles.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/602687569762684/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as far as QC'ing i think he said he was up at 9 temp bars a once or twice while QC'ing but states he only does it rarely (a few times)

DaveinOlyWA said:
i cant help but notice that the distance i lose my first bar is not all that different from when the car was new. its the middle bars that disappear quicker. for people that dont have a meter, they have no real warning unless they drive at or near the range limits of their LEAF. most dont, most dont even come close...
We're a bit off the OPs topic, but I've noticed this too. The status of charge bars are highly erratic. You can be running late and head down the interstate at high speed, and the meter doesn't lose the first bar or two any sooner than if you were doing a steady 30 mph.
But then in just a few minutes, the next two or three bars rapidly disappear.
I'm in the group that doesn't have a meter yet. I've really got to get one, maybe not so much for help with the erratic bar behaviour, but to better see the hidden range at the bottom. I don't get there often, but when I do it would be a lot better to know where I'm at, rather than the lame GOM showing just a few miles, when it might still drive 15.
Does the status of charge or GIDS from a meter behave as strangely as the 2011 LEAF status of charge bars? Seems like the bars should just be a direct reflection of the % status of charge or of GIDS, so the more precise metered # would be acting as strangely as the bars?

Back