Hybrid Only Parking Spaces

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincomatic

A number of parking lots in my area have courtesy spaces marked for hybrids only. Does anyone have any idea if they're OK for EV's? I've been using them for my Leaf, anyway.

lincomatic said:
A number of parking lots in my area have courtesy spaces marked for hybrids only. Does anyone have any idea if they're OK for EV's? I've been using them for my Leaf, anyway.

We've got a spot here painted with "Hybrids Cars" and I spoke to the building manager about parking an EV there. His response was that it's meant for "green" cars, which would include an EV. Besides, I've seen a hybrid parked there twice. All of the other times, it's a visitor using it as a "visitor's" spot.

I would say it depends on the situation. We don't have many hybrids here anyways, and the building manager had no problem with an EV parking there. It sounds like it would depend on the area, and how many hybrid drivers seek to park in those spots. Maybe if you spoke to the parking managers in that area, they would consider changing the wording or assign a new spot for EVs.

We have a new YMCA near where we live, and they have a whole row of about 10 spots labeled "Reserved for Low Emitting & Fuel Efficient Vehicles". Ironically, all of them were taken when we pulled up in our Leaf. There were 3 hybrids, a couple Subarus, a couple mid-size Accord like cars, and 2 small/midsize SUVs.

Wording is key. If it's too vague, then you get cheaters because, after all, that Nissan Armada (non-hybrid) is still quite a bit better than a 45-foot RV, right? :p

I would assume that anything labeled "Hybrid" would also allow pure EVs. If it said "Prius Parking Only" then maybe I'd feel that's a little too specific to allow a Leaf, but then again I'd be tempted to modify the sign to say "Pious" instead...

I just thought of something, somewhat off topic but hopefully you'll indulge me. I saw a parking lot a few years ago that had a row of spots labeled "Large Vehicles Only". How would you feel if you saw that?

In this case, the parking lot was pretty tight, they tried to pack too many spots in for the lot size, so this row was set apart because it had wider spaces so that some of the larger vehicles could fit there without crowding the smaller spots. Good idea? Bad idea? What would piss you off more, seeing accommodations for larger vehicles, or seeing those vehicles parked over the line so essentially taking up two "normal" parking spots?

At least they're less likely won't crush/ding your car. It's always so annoying when people w/ huge SUV's cram into a compact spot. I'm kind of insulted by the hybrids only spots, since EV/NGV/fuel cell are greener, but I guess there aren't enough of them around ... yet.

lincomatic said:
At least they're less likely won't crush/ding your car. It's always so annoying when people w/ huge SUV's cram into a compact spot. I'm kind of insulted by the hybrids only spots, since EV/NGV/fuel cell are greener, but I guess there aren't enough of them around ... yet.

So you can park a 14mpg Tahoe hybrid in that spot, but not the new 40mpg Elantra?

LTLFTcomposite said:
So you can park a 14mpg Tahoe hybrid in that spot, but not the new 40mpg Elantra?
ONLY if the Tahoe hybrid includes a bumper sticker that says "Keep Lake Tahoe Blue" :lol:

The only hybrid spots I've come across are at Fresh & Easy, and they are routinely ignored by everyone. I once saw somebody parking a Buick there and when they got out I asked them how they liked their car and what kind of mileage they were getting. They were confused at first, then embarrassed once I said "oh, I just thought that was a hybrid since you parked in the hybrid spot." They moved the car immediately.

I've never thought twice about parking our Civic GX in those spots, especially since it displays the white HOV stickers and 3 other stickers indicating it's powered by CNG. Despite that everyone sees the stickers and assumes it's a hybrid anyways. The LEAF I might hesitate on until I get my "ELECTRIC" badge or my HOV stickers as other people may not get the Zero Emission thing. As soon as I make it clear to others that the LEAF is electric I would have no issue parking in those spots as they are generally intended to offer another perk to drivers of environmental vehicles. It's one of those situations where I consider the intent of the situation (to promote cleaner cars) more important than the actual wording (hybrids only).

I did park in one of the EV spots at Costco recently and it resulted in about 4 cars rushing to try to get the free spot next to me and then being very annoyed/disappointed when they realized it was for EVs only and I was actually driving an EV.

blorg said:
In this case, the parking lot was pretty tight, they tried to pack too many spots in for the lot size, so this row was set apart because it had wider spaces so that some of the larger vehicles could fit there without crowding the smaller spots. Good idea? Bad idea? What would piss you off more, seeing accommodations for larger vehicles, or seeing those vehicles parked over the line so essentially taking up two "normal" parking spots?
The latter. In part because one of the shopping centers near my house has precisely this problem. The latter is far more frustrating.

The spaces are so narrowly spaced that an SUV or truck /must/ take up two spaces; if they don't, the neighboring cars can't open their doors. Now, I'd rather they made the spaces a sane size, but failing that, I think they should create larger spaces specifically for trucks so that everyone else can actually park. Because in this case, I pity the SUV/truck drivers who really have no choice... they either have to block people or take up two spaces, and not because they're doing a crappy job of parking but just because the parking lot is poorly laid out.

Devin said:
The only hybrid spots I've come across are at Fresh & Easy, and they are routinely ignored by everyone. I once saw somebody parking a Buick there and when they got out I asked them how they liked their car and what kind of mileage they were getting. They were confused at first, then embarrassed once I said "oh, I just thought that was a hybrid since you parked in the hybrid spot." They moved the car immediately.

Fresh & Easy is where I saw the hybrid only parking signs that motivated me to start this thread. At my store, people were respecting it.

Today, I was at Costco, and they had 2 spots marked Electric Vehicle Parking, one with an inductive paddle EVSE, and another with an Avcon connector.
I felt a little guilty that I couldn't charge @ the parking spot I took, but there were no other EV's while I was there.

Packet said:
Now, I'd rather they made the spaces a sane size, but failing that, I think they should create larger spaces specifically for trucks so that everyone else can actually park. Because in this case, I pity the SUV/truck drivers who really have no choice... they either have to block people or take up two spaces, and not because they're doing a crappy job of parking but just because the parking lot is poorly laid out.

I've had my Murano for over 6 years now, and I'm in the Seattle area (although admittedly very rarely DRIVE to downtown Seattle), and I have never once had to park in a marked compact spot. Having driven smaller cars before, I'm always very aware and respectful of marked compact spots. It means sometimes I've had to park an extra 60 feet away or so, but I think I can handle walking a couple extra steps, right? ;) I get really irritated with giant SUV drivers that CLAIM that they can't find spots other than compact spots, so that's where they park. Usually it really means "the first/closest spot I found happened to be compact, but I'm not wanting to waste an extra 2 seconds to park in an appropriate spot".

BUT, then again, there are those lots where the spaces are small, just not quite small enough to actually be marked compact. And EVERY spot is that size, so you're really out of luck. I've been in that situation before, and looked at my Murano centered exactly between the two lines, and though "wow, these spaces are really too small". And for those of you who don't know the Murano, it is an SUV but it's certainly not large and not that wide.

Times are changing, though. It might not be that long before the standard is that "oversized" vehicles have to park in designated spots.

lincomatic said:
Today, I was at Costco, and they had 2 spots marked Electric Vehicle Parking, one with an inductive paddle EVSE, and another with an Avcon connector.
I felt a little guilty that I couldn't charge @ the parking spot I took, but there were no other EV's while I was there.

At our Costco the (leaning tower of) SPI charger appears to have been driven into and thus inoperable so I didn't feel too bad about taking that spot. I originally pulled into the Avcon spot but moved to the SPI once I realized the Avcon was likely functional.

Back