HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents worth...

The VSP sound is much more quiet than I was expecting. In open air, you really have to concentrate to hear it from inside the car. I hear it most as the car slows down to a stop, but it isn't bothersome to me at all.

When in an enclosed concrete parking structure, you can hear it a little bit more; especially if the drivers window is rolled down. But it really is not a big deal at all...

I'm not planning on making any changes to the car in this area....

My biggest annoyance is a combination of the "accept" button on the Nav screen and the "Freezing" of the display when it pairs with my phone (when I want to press "Accept" but have to wait)...If only the pairing of the Bluetooth didn't grab control of the screen....

Randy

oakwcj said:
I know that nobody will want to hear this, but the lawyer in me can't help myself. Nissan developed the pedestrian awareness sound as a result of studies showing that pedestrians respond more to audible signals than to visual cues to protect themselves from cars. If you should be unfortunate enough to hit a pedestrian, and if the plaintiff's lawyer determined that you had tampered with a safety device, your liability would be practically assured, and you could conceivably be found to have committed gross negligence. Just sayin' :p

I don't have my LEAF yet.. probably won't even be able to order one until next year at this time, if I am still in NH, but it seems to me... even if the LEAF is making a noise loud enough for a pedestrian to hear it and he or she bumps into my car anyway... I am still liable. Noise or no noise. I don't think my liability is affected positively or negatively by the presence or absence of a noise. JMHO :) And that isn't saying anything about those pedestirians that can't hear anything anyway.

I don't care about the fake engine sound when driving, it's the backup beeps that are a problem for me. My driveway is really long, and having the car beep all the way down the driveway early in the morning is not the way to endear myself with the neighbors. That said, I can deal with pushing the button each morning, personally.

davewill said:
I don't care about the fake engine sound when driving, it's the backup beeps that are a problem for me. My driveway is really long, and having the car beep all the way down the driveway early in the morning is not the way to endear myself with the neighbors. That said, I can deal with pushing the button each morning, personally.

I'm sorry... You are cracking me up! :D :lol: :lol: I can hear that beeping going down your driveway from here. LOL!! I'm sorry... :lol: :lol: You should have a turn around at the top so you don't have to back down the drive. :D :D

jimcmorr said:
You should have a turn around at the top so you don't have to back down the drive. :D :D
It's not THAT bad! The driveway is actually fairly flat, two car garage width, and about 30 ft. long. No need for a turnaround.

davewill said:
jimcmorr said:
You should have a turn around at the top so you don't have to back down the drive. :D :D
It's not THAT bad! The driveway is actually fairly flat, two car garage width, and about 30 ft. long. No need for a turnaround.

:D :D Okay, but thanks for the image in my brain and the laugh! :lol: :lol:

oakwcj said:
If you should be unfortunate enough to hit a pedestrian, and if the plaintiff's lawyer determined that you had tampered with a safety device, your liability would be practically assured, and you could conceivably be found to have committed gross negligence. Just sayin' :p
I really can't see where this would happen unless I had a really crappy lawyer. The beauty of this mod is that it doesn't disable it - it just flips the default. Having a computer press the button every time I turn the car on is not really any different than me pressing the button every time I turn the car on (which is what I was doing before this mod). If they wanted to sue someone it would be Nissan because A)they allow us to turn it off and B)they have much more money than I do.

This is a very useful thread, so I would like to avoid the "here's why the VSP is good/bad" discussion here. If that discussion is desired, please open a new thread or revive one of the old ones about that.

JasonT said:
Having a computer press the button every time I turn the car on is not really any different than me pressing the button every time I turn the car on (which is what I was doing before this mod).
Can I infer from that comment that you've succesfully done the mod? I haven't heard anyone else here actually say they've done it yet. Were the instructions clear enough?

EDIT: Never mind. I somehow managed to miss your earlier post detailing your experiences...

http://regs.dot.gov/rulemakings/201107/report.htm#10

Sound for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
Popular Title: Quiet Cars
RIN 2127-AK93
Stage: NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making)

Previous Stage:None

Abstract: This rulemaking would respond to The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010, which directs the Secretary of Transportation to study and establish a motor vehicle safety standard that provides for a means of alerting blind and other pedestrians of motor vehicle operation. NHTSA is conducting research in this area and has not yet developed an estimate for the potential costs and benefits associated with this rulemaking action.
Effects:
EU
NAFTA
Foreign
Prompting action: None

Legal Deadline: Initiate rulemaking: : 07/04/2012
Final Rule: : 01/31/2014
Rulemaking Project Initiated: 03/18/2011

To OST 02/14/2012
To OMB 03/27/2012
OMB Clearance 06/27/2012
Publication Date 07/05/2012
End of Comment Period 09/05/2012
Explanation for any delay: N/A
Federal Register Citation for NPRM: None

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

z0ner said:
rawhog said:
Check out the sounds Ford is toying with. It would be nice to have them all and be able to select the one you want to use. It's on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDsg...y&list=PL87299CEA0DAD29D3&index=2&playnext=14

This will loop all four. My personal fave is "D", but I would be flipping it to "A" on my more obnoxious days...
I like D best too, but I really want the Jetson's car sound...

Has anyone tried to hack the module?

turbo2ltr said:
please for the love of all things electrical, don't use these things. Sorry nate but I have to dissagree with you. I've seen this type of connection partially fail so many times it's not funny. And it's really annoying trying to track down an intermitten or marginal connection.

I mostly solder stuff. I will use the 3M slotted beam connectors in the interior with some
silicone to keep the moisture out. I've not had one of them fail. Crimp connectors are a
waste of time; cut the insulation off, solder, and heat shrink. ;)

How many people have done this mod? How long does it take to do it? Instructions seem pretty clear, I am getting so annoyed with having to press the button every time I may do the mod myself.

JasonT said:
oakwcj said:
If you should be unfortunate enough to hit a pedestrian, and if the plaintiff's lawyer determined that you had tampered with a safety device, your liability would be practically assured, and you could conceivably be found to have committed gross negligence. Just sayin' :p
I really can't see where this would happen unless I had a really crappy lawyer. The beauty of this mod is that it doesn't disable it - it just flips the default.
To resurrect this thread, how is disabling the VSP every time you turn on the car by pressing the button different than permanently disabling it by disconnecting the speaker?

Stoaty said:
To resurrect this thread, how is disabling the VSP every time you turn on the car by pressing the button different than permanently disabling it by disconnecting the speaker?
The primary difference is you can turn it back ON if you want to (i.e. you know you're in an area with inattentive pedestrians). If you disconnect the speaker you don't have that luxury, though it is a cheaper option. :D

davewill said:
I have a similar problem, but for me it's getting home. My neighborhood has a) no sidewalks, and b) lots of young kids. As a result, I leave the VSP on so I don't ninja up on people and startle them. But once home, I back into the driveway, and while my dogs don't hear the car's VSP generally, they DO hear the 'beep beep' backup noise and go crazy.

("YAY! MOMMY'S HOME! LET'S TELL HER HOW HAPPY WE ARE THAT SHE'S HOME! AT FULL VOLUME! BECAUSE WE ARE CORGIS!")

So I try to remember to always hit the VSP off switch just before kicking into reverse to avoid Corgi Barking Mayhem, but otherwise leave it on.

Thanks you guys for figuring this out. Can someone post a link to the PIC and the instructions again ??

Back