How color and trim level reservations are playing out!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
I feel left out having specified the base model :-(

You can always change the model / color etc when you actually book.

I think the model and color selection were just to give an idea to Nissan ...

Agreed. It has been confirmed that model and color can be changed at time of purchase, subject to availability, of course. I chose the SV because I didn't see much value in the extras in the SL. In particular I hate spoilers and would pay more not to have one. Not only do they look dorky but they get in the way and have no function on a Leaf. Spoilers were invented for race cars to put extra downward pressure on rear wheels to aid traction at high-speed, especially on turns. They make no sense on low-speed non-rear-wheel-drive cars. It's like buying a smokestack for the EV. The only feature that sounded useful was the automatic headlights, which could be of major importance in an EV. Draining the battery can't be fixed with just a jump start from the guy in the next parking stall. I think that ought to be a standard feature required by law on all new cars. I've gotten so used to having them on my last few cars that I don't even think about it. I hope it at least dings at you if you open the door with the lights on. The rear-view "monitor" I assume is a camera that displays on the dash. That sounds like an expensive easy-to-break battery-draining toy that makes you less safe because you're looking forward instead of backward like you should be when backing up, but maybe I don't understand how it works. I'm a bit surprised that the SL is more popular. What do the rest of you find so appealing about those particular extra features? I'm curious. I might change my mind if it turns out there are a bunch of other features not yet documented.

Rat said:
The only feature that sounded useful was the automatic headlights, which could be of major importance in an EV. Draining the battery can't be fixed with just a jump start from the guy in the next parking stall. I think that ought to be a standard feature required by law on all new cars. I've gotten so used to having them on my last few cars that I don't even think about it. I hope it at least dings at you if you open the door with the lights on.

The leaf has 2 batteries. 1 12volt that runs the lights, radio, etc., and then the lithium-ion pack for the motor. I'm sure it'll ding up a storm if you leave the lights on and try to exit the vehicle. But a dead 12volt battery probably WOULD render the car unusable since the computer couldn't boot-up etc., Perhaps jumps-starting from another vehicle would mean only getting enough 12volt juice to boot up the computer and from there, the lithium-ion batteries, re-gen, etc., could take over to recharge the 12volt system.

Rat said:
What do the rest of you find so appealing about those particular extra features? I'm curious. I might change my mind if it turns out there are a bunch of other features not yet documented.

Camera. I think it is useful when backing in residential areas with children around (that you can't see looking back).

Ofcource if it turns out level 3 charging is only possible on SL - then it becomes even more valuable.

evnow said:
Of course if it turns out level 3 charging is only possible on SL - then it becomes even more valuable.
True, that would be a big selling point, although I really don't think I'll have a need for that. I'm sure most people would, or at least their range anxiety would make them think they do. Still, I can't believe they will limit that capability only to the SL. Time will tell.

evnow said:
Of course if it turns out level 3 charging is only possible on SL - then it becomes even more valuable.

That was my major motivation in choosing SL over SV. Like I've said in the other post, I got a text advisory with my trim level page admonishing me that the Level 3 charging would only be available on the SL. The other advantages, in the most part, I can take or leave.

mwalsh said:
I was thinking more about silver and I am almost definite I don't want silver with the white/light cream interior.

Actually, I saw a Rolls Royce last night that was silver with a white/light cream interior, and it looked very swish! So I have now changed my mind, and think the right silver (ie: a very rich deep one) over white/light cream would be quite spiffy!

I also reserved an SV. I didn't think I needed any of that fancy stuff on the SL with one exception. There is a software package on the SL that isn't well specified. I also know there is a way to query your Leaf through your internet connected phone. If that connection is through the software on the SL only, I may have to change my mind. I want to be able to check my state of charge while I am out shopping somewhere. Anyone know if that is exclusive to the SL model?

Danny said:
I also reserved an SV. I didn't think I needed any of that fancy stuff on the SL with one exception. There is a software package on the SL that isn't well specified. I also know there is a way to query your Leaf through your internet connected phone. If that connection is through the software on the SL only, I may have to change my mind. I want to be able to check my state of charge while I am out shopping somewhere. Anyone know if that is exclusive to the SL model?
If you look at the PDF on the Nissan Leaf web site (http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/specs/FeaturesAndSpecs.pdf), it is pretty clear on what is on the extra trim, and what is not. The PDF talks about "Nissan EV telematics allowing for remote connection to the vehicle" with no mention of trim level, and in fact this "dedicated telematics system" is listed as one of seven main features of the Nissan Leaf.

The website feature list (http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/specs-features/index#/leaf-electric-car/specs-features/index) doesn't touch the additional trim at all - no mention of fog lights, solar spolier, etc. In its list, it mentions "Nissan Connection powered by CARWINGS – allowing for remote connection to vehicle Monitor battery state of charge/charging status"

With either resource, I think you're safe if that's the one feature you're worried about.

I believe that the only real feature question right now is the Level 3 quick charging. There has been some talk about that not being available on the SV. The above documents aren't much help, with the PDF just mentioning "440 V quick charger options". I don't know if they are using "options" because not every place will have access to Level 3 charging stations, or if "options" means it will be an option - and if so, is it limited to a certain trim? I hope that the rumors are incorrect - I went with SL myself, but as others have expressed, having some Leafs that can do quick charge and some that can't would cause confusion, problems, and just all around not be a very good experience.

JasonT said:
I hope that the rumors are incorrect - I went with SL myself, but as others have expressed, having some Leafs that can do quick charge and some that can't would cause confusion, problems, and just all around not be a very good experience.

Yes, that would be terrible. It would also be a disincentive to build level 3 infrastructure.

I just signed on to my leaf account on the Nissan web site. I clicked on (my account) and noticed a new link on the reservation complete confirmation page called (edit your vehicle configuration). I'm sure it wasn't there the last time I checked in. I clicked it and it steps you thru your entire configuration again in case you want to make changes. It sure reads to me as though the QuickCharger is “optional” and only with the SL trim. The * disclaimer goes on to note that the infrastructure may not be available in your area. My guess as previously guessed in this string is that the QuickCharger capability will be additional cost and only available on the SL for some reason. It must be more than simply a plug or it would make sense that it could be added to the SV trim just as easily. Possibly they are making it optional on the SL because they are still not 100% positive TEPCO will be the winning public infrastructure standard??? (beta vs vhs, HD-DVD vs Blu-ray thing)

* Quick charge capability currently is only available in limited markets and states where the public infrastructure exists. Quick charge port is TEPCO compliant and may not be compatible with future quick chargers. While quick charge capability may not exist in your market, availability will increase as the public infrastructure increases in the future.

SilverSL said:
It sure reads to me as though the QuickCharger is “optional” and only with the SL trim. The * disclaimer goes on to note that the infrastructure may not be available in your area.

Yes.

and

I'm seeing something different, but instead of hijacking this thread further, my response is at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=394

Back