Gen 1 Leaf better than Gen 2?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sthbeach said:
...On another note about e-pedal, I believe it saves energy in any use. At the end of my daily commute there is a screen that shows Regen saving consumption and it's always between 3-6 kms. I know it's not alot but couple that with more convenient 1 pedal driving and saving brakes.....I love it! ...

e-pedal may be putting 6km worth of power back into the battery, but it is not necessarily the most efficient way to drive the car. It blends regen and friction brakes to achieve its goals and thereby is turning some of your momentum into heat instead of electricity.

e-Pedal definitely does sound convenient. But in terms of "spending momentum", coasting is most efficient, followed by regen, followed by friction braking. Of course there are times you have to slow down -- but as always driving style is a big determinant.

This thread has all kinds of info on driving technique vs. EV economy: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5508

Note, I am not suggesting that follow all of the suggestions so don't flip out over things like "never go above 55MPH", but it helps to know the ropes. I certainly don't focus on hypermiling most of the time. But there are times when it has been useful to use some of the techniques instead of going through the hassle of stopping for a charge.

Powersurge,

Under all normal conditions and circumstances, I agree with you completely but I feel I should quickly explain where my concerns are coming from so you understand that not all of the users on here fit the mold.

My wife and I are typical middle income family, we work regular jobs and we both commute 130-150kms a day. This means that transportation is a huge expense in our income and is very important. As some of you have read from previous posts, a month ago I decided to take the plunge and purchased 2 Leaf's (2018 SL and 2017 SV both with 35k kms). I will be totally honest and say that I did not purchase them with the intent of saving the world but more as a long term (next 7 years) of saving a little money and driving nicer vehicles.
Pre purchase, our total monthly expenses for transportation were $1200/month. I drove a 2006 VW Passat that averaged $550 a month in gas and my wife drove a 2016 Kia Rio which cost $350/month car payment and another $300/month in gas. So my reasoning behind going to EV's was that if I can total somewhere around $1000/month total in car payments plus around another $100 for electric bill but have no more gas bills and less maintenance, then I am better off. So I crunched the numbers and purchased these 2 Leaf's which run me approx $1000 total a month in car payments. So everything sounds pretty good, right? The only hitch is that I have those car payments for the next 7 years so longevity is a huge concern for me because if these vehicles don't last then I made a total financial **** up and it's going to cost me big time. You mentioned not to worry and these vehicles will last a decade, well I just hope they last 7 more years and they owe me nothing. BUT, at an average of 35k kms a year for my wife and 45k kms a year for me that means 245k kms for her + 35k kms it came with = 280k kms. And for me, it would be 315k kms + the 35k kms it came with = 350k kms. Now, with any confidence, can you still make your statement to me about chilling out? Can you tell me that my Leaf's will make it to 280k kms and 350k kms?
I don't think there are a ton of members in here that have put that kind of milage on their Leaf's, actually I don't think there are many EV owners around the world that can validate my concerns. Also to note, I am fine with having to factor in the cost of options like either battery replacement, swap, add on pack or whatever but when and at what cost will be the question.

Nubo,

I agree. I am going to try driving a week without e pedal on the highway at various speeds and see what happens.

Hello South Beach,

If you are going to put tons of miles on your cars, then the Leaf will be great for you.... The Leaf has been known to get 200K miles of driving as taxis, and the battery is at its best when you drive the car ALOT.

I have my car for 5 years, as new, drive 50-70 miles per day. My SOh is still thankfully at almost 93%. So the car will be a great "beater" car... Good luck and enjoy your cars..

PS - I also don't think that the E pedal is all that great. What it does is make the car need to WORK for every mile it goes, and you loose out on the ability to coast for long distances... I use my "B" mode (baby E Brake) only when I am in bumper to bumper traffic when cars are constantly almost coming to a stop on the highway.

powersurge said:
Hello South Beach,

If you are going to put tons of miles on your cars, then the Leaf will be great for you.... The Leaf has been known to get 200K miles of driving as taxis, and the battery is at its best when you drive the car ALOT.

I have my car for 5 years, as new, drive 50-70 miles per day. My SOh is still thankfully at almost 93%. So the car will be a great "beater" car... Good luck and enjoy your cars..

PS - I also don't think that the E pedal is all that great. What it does is make the car need to WORK for every mile it goes, and you loose out on the ability to coast for long distances... I use my "B" mode (baby E Brake) only when I am in bumper to bumper traffic when cars are constantly almost coming to a stop on the highway.

E-pedal is selectable. Turn it off on the highway. Turn it on in the city.

Powersurge,

That's good news about longevity of the Leaf, I will tell you, I am already starting to have sleepless nights but that puts my mind a little at ease.

Also, today I did no e-pedal on the highway and had approximately 4% more battery than usual after getting to work (75kms).

I concur to maximize range on the highway, no epedal, and stay in D mode minimizing regen as momentum is more valuable. If needing to slow quickly, flip to B on the fly getting back as much juice as you can (ex on the off ramp).

If in bumper to bumper, stay back a bit and work in letting the car roll at slower speeds to minimize the break and acceleration cycles. Slow but not stopped highway traffic can give you king efficiency.

Doug,

Good advice.....
I actually started implementing a few hypermiling techniques today.

I have bought the Leafbox for my wife's Leaf but still haven't had a chance to put it in, I might just put it on my car and see what it does.......She is gonna kill me because she has already asked me twice to put it in her car!

I charged to 100% last night for the first time, mostly just to do it.

Sure enough the REGEN is limited to about 2 bars to start. By the time I got down to 90% SOH at lunch, the regen was mostly back to normal - sans maybe the last 2 bars.

I imagine, but can't be sure, that my BMS software is fairly old. Mine was manufactured 3/18 I think. I doubt the dealer did squat to it while it was sitting around for a year.

After my Rapidgate reprogramming last week, I get full regen bars at around 85% on the GOM.

Back