Battery Degradation of a high mileage Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LEAF is limited to about 6 kW into the pack with AC charging . Every hour will be about 15% SoC increase for your ~ 40 kWh pack
Yes I know: but there are almost only 11kW chargers in the Netherlands, so that means about 3kW/10% an hour. In Germany you find a lot of 22kW chargers, so then it would 6kW charging speed.

Yes I know: but there are almost only 11kW chargers in the Netherlands, so that means about 3kW/10% an hour. In Germany you find a lot of 22kW chargers, so then it would 6kW charging speed.

Ahh .. A LEAF using 3phase charging. Yes, that makes sense. Single phase is 16A at 230V (L-N) in a 11 kW 3P system, so about 3.7 kW. You'll get around 3.3 kW into the pack

Last edited:
You can't preheat anymore and not precool, you have no weather forecast and you have no traffic related navigation which works more than perfect and avoided us many problems.

Both costs you 7€/month and Nissan really tells you when they sell you the car.

We are using the onboard timer now, cardboard for the windscreen waiting in the trunk like in stone age and TomTom on the smartphones (which is the same)

Oostenrijker,I've been reading your posts. What you are seeing on your leafspy reports are the direct effects of premature deterioration of most of the cells in the rear stack cells because of being overheated from quick charge.. these packs really suffer from this especially in the rear stack because the modules are stacked vertically and squished together.

My recommendation is that you sell the car while it still has some decent range since the bad cells will only get worse.

Oostenrijker,I've been reading your posts. What you are seeing on your leafspy reports are the direct effects of premature deterioration of most of the cells in the rear stack cells because of being overheated from quick charge.. these packs really suffer from this especially in the rear stack because the modules are stacked vertically and squished together.

My recommendation is that you sell the car while it still has some decent range since the bad cells will only get worse.
Next week I'm getting a other 40kWh Leaf: not sure if I mentioned it here already? But I drove the battery as empty as possible during test driving, and the battery pack was working fine.

No weak cells, no strange SoC jumping around. So this one is going back to the dealership, and I'm paying € 3500 for getting the lower mileage Leaf. It has 107.000km's on the odometer.

The high mileage one, now has 190.000km's on the odometer: so I consider it fair, that I'm paying a small amount for it. It took a lot of arguing, filming my battery problems etc. But in the end, we came to a agreement.

IMG_20240111_163747.jpg

Here is the new one: at 17.4% only 26mV voltage difference. Whereas the high mileage one, was showing more than 100mV voltage difference and weak cell's.

IMG_20240111_163558.jpg

At cold temperature, also no big voltage difference: see the difference between the amount of QC's this Leaf only has had? Now I will feel guilty, whenever I will fast charge. Because I wanna keep that number as low as possible.

Next week I'm getting a other 40kWh Leaf: not sure if I mentioned it here already? But I drove the battery as empty as possible during test driving, and the battery pack was working fine.

No weak cells, no strange SoC jumping around. So this one is going back to the dealership, and I'm paying € 3500 for getting the lower mileage Leaf. It has 107.000km's on the odometer.

The high mileage one, now has 190.000km's on the odometer: so I consider it fair, that I'm paying a small amount for it. It took a lot of arguing, filming my battery problems etc. But in the end, we came to a agreement.

View attachment 3126

Here is the new one: at 17.4% only 26mV voltage difference. Whereas the high mileage one, was showing more than 100mV voltage difference and weak cell's.

View attachment 3127

At cold temperature, also no big voltage difference: see the difference between the amount of QC's this Leaf only has had? Now I will feel guilty, whenever I will fast charge. Because I wanna keep that number as low as possible.
I think if your smart about fast charging its OK.. I wouldn't back to back fast charge tho especially if it's hot out.

I think if your smart about fast charging its OK.. I wouldn't back to back fast charge tho especially if it's hot out.
But fast charging can be avoided: do you happen to know Via Michelin routeplanner? It has the ability, to plan the most economical route.

Screenshot_2024-01-25-20-33-14-127_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Next week I will need to go to the airport: with 109km one way, I most likely won't make it back home without fast charging? It's still winter, so the range isn't a big as in summer.

Screenshot_2024-01-25-20-32-55-192_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

This is the route Via Michelin gave me; Google Maps won't suggest it, so I have to force it to this route by using waypoints. The whole point of this route planning, is to maximise range. Limit the distance needed to travel.

Because 88km one way, will mean that once I go back. That my car will most likely still have more than 50% SoC, which means I'm able to drive back home without charging. Also average speed will be lower, which is good for the average energy consumption.

And if I really would have to fast charge? I would only charge the amount, which I need. I'm really going try to avoid fast charging. For example an alternative os, to find a public 22kW charger. Then I can charge with 6kW and that might be plenty, if I do a dinner stop at McDonald's for example.

It worked for me when I went in the summer to Austria: and all of this I did, with a Nissan Leaf which battery pack was actually limiting the useable range. But I might take airplane for holidays, those long roadtrips aren't always enjoyable with an Leaf. So I wanna rethink my travel plans.

I've got a 2018 leaf with 220000km here's what my situation is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_224032_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_224032_LeafSpy Pro.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 1
I've got a 2018 leaf with 220000km here's what my situation is
That's seems fixable to me? Just replace those two weak cells? Compare it to mine, whereas I had tens of weak cells? No way, to fix that without replacing the whole rear pack?

Mine has only had 5QCs its whole life So I think that is why it has fair so well for a high mileage car other than those two cells.

Mine has only had 5QCs its whole life So I think that is why it has fair so well for a high mileage car other than those two cells.
I hope I can keep my new used Leaf in such a great state as well: not sure how the previous owners treated it, but atleast they did not QC frequently.

I'm in Canada. Here it's not available from the dealer and 40kwh modules are really hard to find. I ordered mine from the U.S. it's a used Module

Remember there are 10kW and 20kW fast chargers as well which are harmless for your battery.

Japanese Leaf drivers often have these 10kW Leaf2home devices, which adds thousands of charges to the counter.

Remember there are 10kW and 20kW fast chargers as well which are harmless for your battery.

Japanese Leaf drivers often have these 10kW Leaf2home devices, which adds thousands of charges to the counter.
Not according to my dealership: they argued with me, that they believe those 20kW fast chargers might have made the battery problems worse? But I'm sure, those battery problems where there already from the start.

Would they like to provide proof ?
They are bullshitting ofcourse: trying to downplay the battery problems, but it's impossible that it was caused by me. Maybe they are a bit sad, that I don't drive 5000km a year?

Very likely if I didn't drive almost 20.000km a year, that I might not have noticed the battery problems that soon. I don't think 20kW charging is damaging to the battery pack, it's actually keeps the heat build up in check.

Back