free evse question.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkshack

I just have been approved fro the free evse through ecototality. The installation charge after my credit is 636. The total instalation is 1286. That seems high. Is that a reasonable charge?

rkshack

The cost for installation really depends on the location it is being installed and the difficulty / ease of that installation. Is the Blink going 2 feet from the electric panel (cheaper) or do they have to run conduit27 feet through the attic to connect the panel to the charging station?

That cost also includes the cost of the permit, right? It did for me...Installation subsidies were higher earlier, but at least you can still get the hardware free with some level of subsidy...

There's a couple of different alternatives available. Choose the Blink install, buy your own L2 EVSE and have it installed (probably more than $600), or have your Nissan cordset upgraded to accept 240v connection through evseupgrade.com and then have an electrician install a 240v outlet. Even that might cost more than $600 for the upgrade and outlet...

Randy said:
The cost for installation really depends on the location it is being installed and the difficulty / ease of that installation. Is the Blink going 2 feet from the electric panel (cheaper) or do they have to run conduit27 feet through the attic to connect the panel to the charging station?

That cost also includes the cost of the permit, right? It did for me...Installation subsidies were higher earlier, but at least you can still get the hardware free with some level of subsidy...

There's a couple of different alternatives available. Choose the Blink install, buy your own L2 EVSE and have it installed (probably more than $600), or have your Nissan cordset upgraded to accept 240v connection through evseupgrade.com and then have an electrician install a 240v outlet. Even that might cost more than $600 for the upgrade and outlet...
Just for a minimum-cost data point, I just helped a friend install the outlet for their charger adjacent to the garage sub-panel. Breaker set, plug, old-construction box, cover, and 2' of leftover #12 wire ran about $30. Their EVSE Upgrade is due back this week.

Randy said:
Option 4: Have a local contractor run the circuit to the install location, and then have Blink just do the install. It should then be free from Blink, and he'll have the full warranty.

rkshack said:
The total instalation is 1286. That seems high. Is that a reasonable charge?

rkshack

Depends what needs to be done. If they have to mess with drywall or concrete or extreme distances, it may be reasonable. Or if federal bailout money is involved, you can expect their cost to be inflated about 5x what a local contractor would do it for.

Then once it's complete wait for how long it takes to break down just when you need a charge.

Seems reasonable. Think of it this way, the EV Project is taking car of acusistion and installation of the device. Or you can go and get a $799 EVSE and pay for installation from another technician, and pay the Permit fee for the county to do the electrical work (having to go there on your own in person) Will end up costing around the same amount. You get an extended warranty though BLINK for having them install it with their certified electricians, and its headache free.

I paid almost $1100 for my ECOtality Blink EVSE through the program, 5 holes cut in my wall (to fish the 8gauge wire from one side to the other side of the house through ducting and walls) and 20ft of conduit ( very professional looking) and Im glad I didnt have to do any of it.

Id go for it! You can always get a second unit (from a retail store) later and replace the BLINK if you dont like it, all the wiring will already be there.

Back