Forward Collision Warning, and Auto Braking?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectriCute

In regards to my 2022 Leaf SV, does it come with Forward Collision Warning and Auto Braking, or is that only on the high end SL Plus model only?

I know that cars with the SV Tech Package have it. Check the features list for the Tech Package. It may be part of Pro Pilot or it may be a standalone feature.

According to the brochure I pulled from the web in August it is standard equipment on all 2022 Leafs. I don't have time to post a photo now but you can probably find the brochure on the Nissan site somewhere.

Specs tab of https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit may help.

One can usually find them by Googling for stuff like 2022 leaf press kit but replacing the model year with the one you want. You maybe also can add nissannews.

Also, one can try 2022 nissan leaf brochure instead.

ElectriCute said:
In regards to my 2022 Leaf SV, does it come with Forward Collision Warning and Auto Braking, or is that only on the high end SL Plus model only?

Easy way to know, check if you can turn them on and off in the vehicle settings. ;)
Assuming you mean you already have one and not shopping for one... :?:

knightmb said:
ElectriCute said:

Easy way to know, check if you can turn them on and off in the vehicle settings. ;)

One thing I forgot to point out which made me think that I might not have this feature. While on the highway driving about 65mph, one numbskull, which we have an over abundance of here, pulled right in front of me. My car made no attempt to slow down or even brake.

ElectriCute said:
knightmb said:
ElectriCute said:

One thing I forgot to point out which made me think that I might not have this feature. While on the highway driving about 65mph, one numbskull, which we have an over abundance of here, pulled right in front of me. My car made no attempt to slow down or even brake.
Yes, the 22s comes with it standard. There are situations where it won't detect a vehicle or object. Read the owner's manual to see which situations and to make sure your settings are enabled.

ElectriCute said:
Depends on if you had the car sensors on, what settings you use, etc. The thing about all the new technology, you have to be able to play around *safely* to get a feel for the limitations. I know for example, if I have adaptive cruise control on and the car it's following jumps into either lane quickly and slams on it's brakes, even if I can go past it as the lane is empty, the car will slam on the brakes thinking the car it was following is about to hit it.

Safety improvements from year to year get better.

When we replaced our totaled 201 SL+ WTH a 2020 SL+ the auto braking was a surprise. Insurance was even a little cheaper with the 2020 due to additional safety improvements.

One dark night when we were doing about 35 mph on an unlit dark road the brakes looked up on their ownand got reds lights on the dash. What the heck? Then I see a 200 lb black wild boar cross in front of the car. The car sensed it and slammed on the brakes. Without this feature I would have Hit it for sure and caused all kinds of damage.

So does anybody have insight as to how the auto braking would work if you need to swerve instead of brake? Like if you know braking will not stop the car in time?

I’ve read so many things that I can’t remember what’s what anymore. I know I read about a system that will auto-swerve if the car detects that braking will not prevent a collision AND there are no cars detected in the path of a swerve.

I also think I may have read that auto braking is automatically disabled when there is decreased traction from a wet road. ??

jaja06 said:
So does anybody have insight as to how the auto braking would work if you need to swerve instead of brake? Like if you know braking will not stop the car in time?
Anti-lock still works, so you should be able to steer out of the way even with the brakes engaged, the auto brake won't do any steering assist.
I’ve read so many things that I can’t remember what’s what anymore. I know I read about a system that will auto-swerve if the car detects that braking will not prevent a collision AND there are no cars detected in the path of a swerve.

I also think I may have read that auto braking is automatically disabled when there is decreased traction from a wet road. ??
Maybe for other cars, but the Leaf, as far as I know, will not auto-swerve. I've had 3 instances where I've had auto-brake kick in and never did it try to go around anything, but on the bright side, it saved me from hitting pedestrians running out in the street all 3 of those times. No rain detection in the Leaf (well in my 20202 anyway), so auto-brake still works for me unless the sensors are impaired by too much rain. That is possible.

Maybe for other cars, but the Leaf, as far as I know, will not auto-swerve. I've had 3 instances where I've had auto-brake kick in and never did it try to go around anything, but on the bright side, it saved me from hitting pedestrians running out in the street all 3 of those times.

Last week, I was passing a car on a 2 lane highway. I decided that I was far enough ahead to go back into the right lane, but the car thought otherwise - I had to fight the steering for a moment, as auto-steer tried to prevent me from changing lanes, back into the correct lane. I was...surprised.

knightmb said:
jaja06 said:
Anti-lock still works, so you should be able to steer out of the way even with the brakes engaged, the auto brake won't do any steering assist.

Maybe for other cars, but the Leaf, as far as I know, will not auto-swerve. I've had 3 instances where I've had auto-brake kick in and never did it try to go around anything, but on the bright side, it saved me from hitting pedestrians running out in the street all 3 of those times. No rain detection in the Leaf (well in my 20202 anyway), so auto-brake still works for me unless the sensors are impaired by too much rain. That is possible.

Wow pretty impressive. It’s exciting to see these advancements.

I want to say that I read about the auto brake disengaging if poor traction is detected, like how the traction control light comes on if you spin the wheels a bit on takeoff. But it could have been another car, and it could have been something else completely.

As you can see, trying to read my manual has been very useful so far haha. I have managed to remember a few good tidbits so far. It’s just impressive how complicated a car is these days!

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe for other cars, but the Leaf, as far as I know, will not auto-swerve. I've had 3 instances where I've had auto-brake kick in and never did it try to go around anything, but on the bright side, it saved me from hitting pedestrians running out in the street all 3 of those times.

Last week, I was passing a car on a 2 lane highway. I decided that I was far enough ahead to go back into the right lane, but the car thought otherwise - I had to fight the steering for a moment, as auto-steer tried to prevent me from changing lanes, back into the correct lane. I was...surprised.

Ohh interesting. So it thought the car behind you was still too close? But it does let you override after a stern warning? I’ve been wondering about that too.

jaja06 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Ohh interesting. So it thought the car behind you was still too close? But it does let you override after a stern warning? I’ve been wondering about that too.

So it would seem. I guess that the Blind Spot Warning and Lane Departure warning have an enforcement mechanism built into them. I was able to wrestle the car into the other lane anyway, but the wheel was still shuddering while I was doing it...

Back