Leaf won't operate. Warning - Service EV System, Warning - Service EV System Unable to restart after power off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjblewe

My Leaf displayed Warning Service EV System, Warning Service EV System Unable to restart after power off. tonight. Battery is 100% charged according to the dash display but the Battery symbol at the top right side of the dash is illuminated as are the warning lights for front and rear hazards.
The vehicle is a 2021 Leaf S Plus. I have 88K on the odometer and have never had anything other than tires installed. My battery pack does seem to be degraded and only shows 180-190 miles range when fully charged. (New was 230 Miles). Any advice on what to do here?

Sure! Here's the initial approach I'd take:

Disconnect 12V battery and test it (replace if necessary, otherwise just ensure it's charged up).
Reconnect 12V.
Clear all DTCs (eg via LeafSpy).
Re-test powering on and drive.

Does problem persist? If so, re-scan DTCs and report the ones that have re-triggered (ie the ones that have shown up from after you cleared them all)

IMG_4669.jpeg
This is what my 2019 Leaf was doing when the 12V battery needed to be replaced. Replaced the battery and everything went back to normal. You could see the same behavior when the 12V battery just needs to be charged.

I have a code reader, Is there a connection for it somewhere other than under the dash at the steering wheel?

No idea where you are and if the car is LHD or RHD but all should be near the steer shaft. It is important to state what part of the world you live in and if you have imported the car from a different part of the world, that too is important to state.
It is why I have a location in my avatar. Not an exact location, but people can get an idea, that I am in the US, upper midwest, so cooler climate and cold winters. All that info helps.

My 2012 Leaf would not go into drive 2 years ago on the coldest day of the year, the diagnose was the pre start resistor was blown. I am assuming a overload because the heat and rear defog and full fan being on at the same time. Whatever the problem was this created another problem because the 12 volt battery also died and completely killed the battery. The 12 volt battery could have died because the charger would not work because the Resistor was blown. Two years ago I found the resistor in Quebec Canada. This happened again 2 weeks ago (same scenario) now I cannot find the resistor . Does anyone out there know where I could get one because Nissan does not have any? The mechanic has not found one that I know of when I talked to Him last Friday.

DTC's are going to be the key to solve this. Without them there are only guesses.
Thanks. I managed to connect a Code reader and get 2 codes.
P31E7 Restart inhibitor
P0AA6 Battery.
All that was after removing the 12V battery and getting it tested. Results were marginal. 12.2Volts and 300 Amps (500 New). I charged the battery for a few hours and then re-installed it, read the codes and deleted them.
Pressed the start button and Wow it started.

No idea where you are and if the car is LHD or RHD but all should be near the steer shaft. It is important to state what part of the world you live in and if you have imported the car from a different part of the world, that too is important to state.
It is why I have a location in my avatar. Not an exact location, but people can get an idea, that I am in the US, upper midwest, so cooler climate and cold winters. All that info helps.
Sorry, I didn't realize. I'm in Georgia, USA. I found the connection for the Code reader and managed to read and clear the codes. Thanks.
12V Battery is going to be replaced. The car started after I charged the battery and cleared the codes.

Sure! Here's the initial approach I'd take:

Disconnect 12V battery and test it (replace if necessary, otherwise just ensure it's charged up).
Reconnect 12V.
Clear all DTCs (eg via LeafSpy).
Re-test powering on and drive.

Does problem persist? If so, re-scan DTCs and report the ones that have re-triggered (ie the ones that have shown up from after you cleared them all)
Thanks for the advice. you were spot on. Battery tested marginal for volts and amps. After putting a charge on the battery and re-installing it i read and cleared codes P31E7 and P0AA6. Powered up ok.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but POAA6 is HV (traction battery) isolation fault. This is a serious fault because it means that somewhere the HV battery is making contact with the chassie. THIS IS NOT the 12 volt battery.
You said it powered up and started. That is good, as long as the POAA6 doesn't come back.
Hopefully it is gone and doesn't come back.

The thing is, a weak volt battery will produce all kinds of untrue error codes. If they don't recur repeatedly, they can be assumed to either be false or to have resolved.

Thanks. I managed to connect a Code reader and get 2 codes.
P31E7 Restart inhibitor
P0AA6 Battery.
All that was after removing the 12V battery and getting it tested. Results were marginal. 12.2Volts and 300 Amps (500 New). I charged the battery for a few hours and then re-installed it, read the codes and deleted them.
Pressed the start button and Wow it started.
It is time to pony up and replace the 12 VDC battery before it happens again, while on the road.

Thanks for the advice. you were spot on. Battery tested marginal for volts and amps. After putting a charge on the battery and re-installing it i read and cleared codes P31E7 and P0AA6. Powered up ok.
New 12 V battery installed and codes were cleared. Went to take the leaf to work and the same codes are back. I don’t know if it’s safe to drive it to the dealer or I have to get a tow?

It is ok to drive, If you can get it to start, It will not likely charge if it has a POAA6 but I could be wrong. Normally there is no connection between the HV battery and the car chassie, it is detecting leakage to the chassie. Dala has a good video on checking the HV battery at the disconnect in the floor. That will tell you if the leak is in the battery or elsewhere in the car.
Edit: a HV leak can also CAUSE a dead 12 volt by messing with the DC-DC converter by having a HV connection to chassie (which is also the 12 volt neg).

Last edited:
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but POAA6 is HV (traction battery) isolation fault. This is a serious fault because it means that somewhere the HV battery is making contact with the chassie. THIS IS NOT the 12 volt battery.
You said it powered up and started. That is good, as long as the POAA6 doesn't come back.
Hopefully it is gone and doesn't come back.
It came back. Getting the vehicle towed to the Nissan dealer

Back