farewell leaf...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lettcco

Thank you all for the valueable info., especially the new owners who have given his thought and answers all the questions we have. After some number crunching, my commute (<90miles freeway) seems impossible. Using it strictly as a around town car is do-able, but with a sept 2 order date but no real delivery date in sight, my family just cannot wait any longer. I bid you all farewell and goodluck with your LEAFs, and I hope that this website will be as vibrant as Priuschat (where I will be) and GEN 2 LEAF will have improvements that meets my needs. Hugs those polar bears for me!

lettcco said:
Thank you all for the valueable info., especially the new owners who have given his thought and answers all the questions we have. After some number crunching, my commute (<90miles freeway) seems impossible. Using it strictly as a around town car is do-able, but with a sept 2 order date but no real delivery date in sight, my family just cannot wait any longer. I bid you all farewell and goodluck with your LEAFs, and I hope that this website will be as vibrant as Priuschat (where I will be) and GEN 2 LEAF will have improvements that meets my needs. Hugs those polar bears for me!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Lettcco. As we've always said, at this stage, the Leaf isn't for everyone. Hopefully, it's successors will prove worthy of your commute.

Happy New Year!

Best luck.

But, as I've said elsewhere 90 mile commute is unsustainable. You would do yourself service by rethinking about it.

So is your plan to cancel your order on the website, or wait until the car is at your dealer, and then cancel it?

If you cancel on the website - I'd love to hear if anyone from Nissan contacts you to do an "exit interview" so that Nissan can get a better picture of why people are canceling orders.

hey lettco, if you are going to buy a Prius, I have a nice one for sale, 2010 Model V, with the ATP (Advanced Technology Package), DRCC (Folowing radar for cruise control), LKA (Lane Keep Assist, nudges the steering wheel to keep you in your lane), and IPA (Integrated Parking Assistant, Parallel or back in parking..). Anyway, if you are interested send me a PM... I'm waiting for a Volt now, but I have an old clunker to drive in the meantime (1994 Suburban I plow with, don't ask about the MPG on it, ok you restled it out of me...12mpg downhil with a strong wind on a good day). The 2010 Prius gets about 50mpg in warm weather, I am "only" getting about 43-44mpg in cold weather right now (around 32F). The car is in Boston, but nothing a car carrier can't fix.

Mitch

mitch672 said:
hey lettco, if you are going to buy a Prius, I have a nice one for sale, 2010 Model V, with the ATP (Advanced Technology Package), DRCC (Folowing radar for cruise control), LKA (Lane Keep Assist, nudges the steering wheel to keep you in your lane), and IPA (Integrated Parking Assistant, Parallel or back in parking..). Anyway, if you are interested send me a PM... I'm waiting for a Volt now, but I have an old clunker to drive in the meantime (1994 Suburban I plow with, don't ask about the MPG on it, ok you restled it out of me...12mpg downhil with a strong wind on a good day). The 2010 Prius gets about 50mpg in warm weather, I am "only" getting about 43-44mpg in cold weather right now (around 32F). The car is in Boston, but nothing a car carrier can't fix.

Mitch

A 1994 Suburban! Now THAT is a hunk of Detroit iron :) I am amazed you get 12 MPG out of it!

Please keep us updated on your Volt adventures. I have been cruising around today on the Virginia dealer sites and have sent a few notes.

If memory serves me, the Suburban was first introduced in 1935/6 and continues to be produced today [some would argue without much improvement :eek: ] and is thus the longest running model of any vehicle anywhere in the world

LakeLeaf said:
If memory serves me, the Suburban was first introduced in 1935/6 and continues to be produced today [some would argue without much improvement :eek: ] and is thus the longest running model of any vehicle anywhere in the world

That could indeed be the case... being that I bought this fine piece of Detroit iron :) for $3500 5 or 6 years ago, bought a used Fisher minute mount plow on eBay for $950, paired them together, and I have been driving this beast less than 500 miles per year, Ive gotten my value out of it. Its pretty much only used to plow my 175' long driveway and parking area (spaces for 7 or so cars), so yeah, I don't feel bad driving this, using it for a specific purpose... my 2010 Prius would look really funny with a 6.5', #800 Fisher plow mounted on the front of it :) Not to mention the fact its front end would be on the ground and would't move either :) Oh yeah, forgot to tell you the mileage: 154,000. since I've owned it, I've put less than 1500 miles on it.

i saw this post and figured another was PO'd on the delivery delays, but at 90 miles, i would not have considered the Leaf either unless i could do extensive in town driving with it. that is simply too far.

i pretty much decided for all practical purposes waaaay back in the first week of March when i signed up for the email invite that 70 miles was best i could rely on. i knew batteries declined and figured on what would work for me 5 years down the line. now i fully believe that charging options will be all over the place within that same 5 year period, so i figured i could make work it anyway.

see, i made the decision over 7 years ago to work local and stop commuting. was a pretty hefty drop in pay, but i saw my commuting issues getting worse and worse. i live in the middle of the I-5 bottleneck where all traffic funnels thru a gap formed by a very large wildlife refuge, indian reservation and a major military base. options were to add several miles and minutes to the commute by going around those areas, or go down I-5 like everyone else. the traffic flow is getting worse and worse. add to that, the widening of arterials feeding I-5 with no extra lanes added until 35 miles north of me. problem is, i used to drive that 35 miles where i have taken 90 minutes to drive it if anything like an accident happened. there is no detours or alternate routes for over 10 miles just south of Tacoma.

since that decision, my commute is under 10 miles one way. so the Leaf would always work for me. sorry it wont work for you. but dont give up. in 5 years, your charging options will be greatly enhanced.
start now by lobbying your legislators to require employers to allow charging stations.

as far a driving a Prius, i have had 3 of them. if it aint electric, the Prius is the best option on the road today. in the 6½ years i have driven them, they are still the "goto" car

The Prius has great technology, but the third generation is so boring.... I hear there is a whole range of other models that are going to be given the Prius drivetrain (and name)... I actually think a Hybrid Scion IQ would be a superb choice and may work out to cost less per mile than the Leaf... But I am hooked on the idea of owning an electric car. I think the Plug-In Prius is going to be a much better car than the Volt (less electric range, but much better MPG when on gas).

If you pass on those cars I have a Ford RV for sale..Think about driving a V10 to work each day ..You got the potty,TV ,fridge,bed and it will only cost you $70 day in gas for that round trip ;-)
I would love to know how many people have cancelled their orders for a Leaf..

SteveInSeattle said:
The Prius has great technology, but the third generation is so boring.... I hear there is a whole range of other models that are going to be given the Prius drivetrain (and name)... I actually think a Hybrid Scion IQ would be a superb choice and may work out to cost less per mile than the Leaf... But I am hooked on the idea of owning an electric car. I think the Plug-In Prius is going to be a much better car than the Volt (less electric range, but much better MPG when on gas).

maybe boring but i have both gen 2 and 3. 3 is bigger, faster, AND gets better gas mileage!! hard to make that happen in any car.

Gen 3 has solar cabin recirculation to help keep it semi-cool in the summer sun. seat heaters which makes a HUGE difference to some.

but the big thing is that i have a lifetime average of 54 mpg. hard to complain about that.

AND

we need to review what Toyota is launching in the next few weeks. a bigger Prius with 50% more cargo storage would be a big move into families with 2-3 kids. they are launching two new versions.

imm, they also need a bigger Prius that gets near the same mileage and a smaller stripped down version at a more competitive price. a single commuter type. 2 door, priced at $20,000 that gets 65 mpg.

Yes, I have to agree. I've driven all generations of it and found it to be one of the most boring and driver-disconnected cars I've ever driven. I know that is not important to some but it is a consideration for me and my wife - we enjoy driving. Plus, all other considerations aside, the ROI simply wasn't there for us.

SteveInSeattle said:
The Prius has great technology, but the third generation is so boring....

Back