Distance traveling in a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDB415

I'm passing time specing on a new Leaf. To find one may require picking it up from a distant dealer. So, long distance in a Leaf.

Is there any sort of break-in period and if so what is required?

I know people say ideally don't go below 30% battery remaining and only charge back up to 70%. That's maybe fine at home but if trying to get from CO or TN or wherever to TX it isn't really workable, especially if it isn't a Plus. Can it be driven down to single digit % remaining in that case? I know charging to 100% is about impossible but can it be charged up to 9x% to give the most range possible?

In another thread I saw a photo of a dash that had a big battery heat gauge on the left side, similar to a water temp gauge on an ICE car. I don't see that in photos of a 2022 dash. Is it still there somewhere? And if it shows in the middle like water temp usually does is it safe to charge and whatever limit the charger outputs? Can that even be controlled when you plug in or does it just flow full speed ahead?

My usual day's driving is 10 or less miles around home at mostly 40mph or less with maybe a mile now and then at 50-55. I'm looking at all of them but the SV with Tech package seems the best buy. Once home it will easily do the half dozen or so times a year I drive 3x miles each way 60-65 freeway with 10-12 "city" miles to meet family for lunch. The rest of the time would be my short local days. A Plus would be better for the long drive home but I can't see paying $3-4k more just for that.

I know some of this may be dumb questions but I'm wandering around the forums and learning as I go. Thanks for any and all input.

No break in

Charging levels are VERY personal. Charge to the level you need and ignore the SOC. Live in the middle as much as possible centering the daily SOC around 50%

Roadtrips are a completely different story. Study the route on Plugshare using the the trip planner to check for things like elevation, etc.

Battery temp gauges are in the menu accessed by button on left side of steering wheel.

If you EVER plan to take a trip over 300 miles, get the plus. The one thing about EV rules is always buy the most range you can afford in the model you are looking at.

Driving a LEAF long distance can become expensive if you are paying for lodging and food.
I have bought my last 2 cars (not including Tesla) out of state and shipped them to me or close to me.

In my case, I worked the days that I would have otherwise been on the road so it was an easy choice. But even if that is not true, the differences in costs overall are fairly close, even before you consider the cost of getting to the car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
No break in

Charging levels are VERY personal. Charge to the level you need and ignore the SOC. Live in the middle as much as possible centering the daily SOC around 50%

Roadtrips are a completely different story. Study the route on Plugshare using the the trip planner to check for things like elevation, etc.

Battery temp gauges are in the menu accessed by button on left side of steering wheel.

If you EVER plan to take a trip over 300 miles, get the plus. The one thing about EV rules is always buy the most range you can afford in the model you are looking at.

Thanks for the good input. I get what you said but an SV-Tech is $30,760 and an SV Plus is $35,870. Once I'm home my longest day, only a few times a year at most, would be 100 miles round trip, about 80/20 freeway/streets. When it eventually degrades to not make it I can always charge it some while eating lunch with my family and when it degrades further I'll just make them meet me somewhere mid-way.

SageBrush said:
Driving a LEAF long distance can become expensive if you are paying for lodging and food.
I have bought my last 2 cars (not including Tesla) out of state and shipped them to me or close to me.

In my case, I worked the days that I would have otherwise been on the road so it was an easy choice. But even if that is not true, the differences in costs overall are fairly close.

Yes, that is true but if I did it I foresee one night lodging each direction, maybe two returning if charging takes longer than expected. And I look at it as possibly my last adventure. Unless I win the lotto of course and then can buy a loaded SL Plus and even get charging points installed places if I want to go there and they have none. :D

The only thing you need to remember if you take the state of charge down below 20% is to plug in as soon as you get home or to a charging station. Don't leave it sitting that low, or at 100% in warm weather.

By the way -- forget about shopping in Colorado.
That state has its own tax credit so the dealerships bump up the prices to grab some (or all) of it.

I live in NM and tend to shop in Tx. ;)
OK and KS are also worth a look

The other issue you will have to consider when buying out of state and driving the car home are taxes. Sometimes (not always; it varies by state) you have to pay the taxes of the state where you buy and then seek credit in your home state. If your home state has lower taxes, you end up paying more. Shipping does not have these issues.

SageBrush said:
By the way -- forget about shopping in Colorado.
That state has its own tax credit so the dealerships bump up the prices to grab some (or all) of it.

I live in NM and tend to shop in Tx. ;)
OK and KS are also worth a look

The other issue you will have to consider when buying out of state and driving the car home are taxes. Sometimes (not always; it varies by state) you have to pay the taxes of the state where you buy and then seek credit in your home state. If your home state has lower taxes, you end up paying more. Shipping does not have these issues.

That's good to know. I like one in Grand Junction, and it would be a magnificent trip home, at least the first 1/3, but I wouldn't want to pay extra for it.

LeftieBiker said:
The only thing you need to remember if you take the state of charge down below 20% is to plug in as soon as you get home or to a charging station. Don't leave it sitting that low, or at 100% in warm weather.

No, I would just be going from charging station to charging station and plugging in immediately to get going again. Well, provided it was working and not in use. I guess some times I might have to wait for someone else to finish before I could plug in. But it wouldn't be like get home with 14% remaining and just park it for a few days. I'd probably try to always stay in the top half of charged just in case I needed to go across town to my family or something.

Back