EVSE Storage Bag

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NismoLEAF

Hello everyone,

Ive had my LEAF for a month or so now and use the EVSE that comes with the car to charge it. This means i have to take the EVSE out the bag and put it back in every time i charge it (which is everyday) and i have to bring the EVSE with me just incase i need to do something other than my normal commute, so i cant just leave it in my garage as much as id love to.

I put it back in the bag so it looks neat, but it is sooo time consuming to do so.

I was just wondering what does everyone else does with their EVSE?

I put it back in the bag, but I just have it neatly-wound. I don't use the velcro straps or anything else it came with.

Do you remove the bag each time you do it? or do you leave the bag locked in place when you put the EVSE in the bag?

I usually leave my cable at home for daily use, but if I expect I may have to drive further I just put it in the trunk. I don't bother putting it in the storage bag, cause I'll be using it again shortly anyway. I alway plug in at home. When I used to put it in the bag, I left it secured to the hook when I put the cable in.

I have solved this "problem" by ordering an extra cable without the brick. I'll leave my brick permanently at home as a trickle charging station, and put the new cable for "ad-hoc" charging in the bag in the trunk. The new cable will let me charge on 6A, 10A and 16A, and has a "code" that will render it unusable if anyone steals it. :)

hi cra, what type of code does it use (ie PIN code?)? can you post a link?

has anyone used other EVSE bags/storage systems?

I know the Ampera's cable wraps around the electronic box and is stored under the boot floor, but then when your boot is full you cant get to the charger :? .

how does LEAFs storage system compare this and other EVs or PHEVs?

I keep ours in the car since we have an L2 EVSE at home. But if we only had the Nissan unit I would just leave it plugged in at home. The chance of its 5%/hr charge rate being needed and useful in the field is pretty slim. And in fact I did leave it plugged in at home during the few months before we got the L2 installed.

In practice I've never been close to needing it on the road. To me the greater peace of mind comes from having a backup means of charging at home should the L2 unit or its circuit ever have a problem.

When I unpack the EVSE cord to plug it in, I am careful not to stretch it out straight, but rather leave the loops in it. When I'm done, it looks like slinky that's been pulled apart. This makes putting it back away a breeze since I can simply collapse it back in to a neat coil.

I've thought about coiling it into a small bucket as being more convenient than storing it in the case. A kitty litter bucket is just about the right size. Even a small cardboard box would be more convenient than packing it in the case every day.

But I have two Nissan/Panasonic EVSEs and only take the 240 Volt 16 Amp upgraded one from my home when I know I am going to need 240V opportunity charging, which is rare. The stock 120V one just lives in my car for unforeseen situations.

On the portable dual voltage EVSE I assembled I used a basic no frills laptop case. It worked out very well and it fit into the small side of my cargo box.

I can load it into the bag pretty readily. It's mainly a matter of knowing how tight the loops have to be. Be sure to learn the "over/under wrap method" to avoid destroying that expensive cable. However, I were using the Nissan EVSE for daily charging, I wouldn't try to pack it with me every day. I consider it to be too much wear and tear, (on me and the cable) and would just leave it at home unless I anticipated needing it. I can count the "emergencies" in 18 months on one hand, and even then I could have avoided them by declining to make an extra side trip...although in one case, it would have meant either missing an appointment, or making my wife drive out of her way to give me a ride. These days, it's even less likely to happen as L2 stations are finally fairly plentiful in San Diego.

cra said:
I have solved this "problem" by ordering an extra cable without the brick. I'll leave my brick permanently at home as a trickle charging station, and put the new cable for "ad-hoc" charging in the bag in the trunk. The new cable will let me charge on 6A, 10A and 16A, and has a "code" that will render it unusable if anyone steals it. :)
Please, what cable is it that you have ordered? Or, have received? Sounds interesting.

I assume he's talking about the UM-EVSE, which isn't available in the US market: http://charge-amps.com/um-evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grommet said:
I assume he's talking about the UM-EVSE, which isn't available in the US market: http://charge-amps.com/um-evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's spot on, grommet :) I have ordered one of these. Second batch is being produced these days, so I'm hoping to receive it soon.

davewill said:
I can load it into the bag pretty readily. It's mainly a matter of knowing how tight the loops have to be. Be sure to learn the "over/under wrap method" to avoid destroying that expensive cable. .

Hi davewill,

I too wrap my cable up like that, but what do you do when it gets wet or even dirty?

I wrapped mine up after it had rained (not very pleasant), not sure ill do it again.

What does everyone do if their cable is wet or dirty? do you wrap it up neatly and put it in the bag, or do you just sling it in the boot and have a dirty wet carpet?

NismoLEAF said:
What does everyone do if their cable is wet or dirty? do you wrap it up neatly and put it in the bag, or do you just sling it in the boot and have a dirty wet carpet?

I have all-weather mats, so if I'm alone, I place it in front of the passenger seat to dry. If I have a passenger, I place it in the trunk (not in the bag) to let it dry out before putting it away.

I usually have a moderately sturdy plastic bag stuck in the
car somewhere, to use to hold damp, wet, or dirty objects.
A tiny, compact, low volume, and low weight solution.

Also, I have two upgraded EVSEs, one to keep in the garage,
and one to keep in the car. Yes, a bit expensive, but the
convenience is great, and I have an instant backup for
both units (the other unit). If one fails, I am not without
charging for some period of time while I wait for another
to arrive.

In any case, it works well for me, with minimum hassle.

i use it daily at work.
i have a milk case (plastic) in the truck -- that also doubles as a grocery bag holder.
i coil the power snake into the case. the brick goes in last, and gets plugged in first.

NismoLEAF said:
Hello everyone,

Ive had my LEAF for a month or so now and use the EVSE that comes with the car to charge it. This means i have to take the EVSE out the bag and put it back in every time i charge it (which is everyday) and i have to bring the EVSE with me just incase i need to do something other than my normal commute, so i cant just leave it in my garage as much as id love to.

I put it back in the bag so it looks neat, but it is sooo time consuming to do so.

I was just wondering what does everyone else does with their EVSE?

WOW!!

have to make sure i even know where my bag is. cant say that i have seen it in the past 3-4 months. but i use my EVSE every day but it hardly ever leaves my garage

Back