Every 15k miles my dealer wants to charge me $300 for 'maintance' what should I do?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NissanLeafCamper said:
So then the nissan leaf does have transmission oil? And this oil needs to be changed?

No transmission, but a "reduction gearbox", to reduce the 14000 rpm of the motor down to a driveable range. Since it's a single fixed-speed reduction there is no shifting and minimal wear so the change interval can be long. But of course there does have to be a lubricant.

My two cents: Throw a battery buddy on the 12v monthly*, rotate tires as recommended, consider replacing 12v battery every two/three years, check brakes at every rotation. You probably won't even have the car when you are ready to replace brake fluid, engine coolant and differential oil. Oh ya, fire that dealer.

My car has 23,000 miles and the brakes are at 40%. Whoever said the brakes will go 200,000 miles is way off the mark. Even if the brakes could, your rotors won't. In another 10,000 miles I'll check hubs/pack wheel bearings if necessary. At 50k I might replace shocks/struts, as some aftermarket brands are superior to OEM.

Even though the Leaf needs very little maintenance, it is still a car.

* Batteries are not made like they used to be so you need to care for them. The trickle charger gives me an idea as to the state of the battery's health. I just replaced the original battery because every two weeks it was down to a 60% charge.

jkline said:
* Batteries are not made like they used to be so you need to care for them. The trickle charger gives me an idea as to the state of the battery's health. I just replaced the original battery because every two weeks it was down to a 60% charge.
Trouble is the manufacturers have not figured out they need a deep cycle battery vs the start battery they install.

Trouble is the manufacturers have not figured out they need a deep cycle battery vs the start battery they install.

I'm sure that the Leaf engineers told them this, but deep cycle batteries - even half-assed "marine" types - probably cost them twice as much, wholesale, as the cheap little starting batteries.

We bought our 2014 Leaf from an Eastern Washington dealer. No problems with the first 12 months of service, all free.
Then we moved to western Washington. Found a new dealer with good recommendations. Called for 18-month check: delaer said not needed. Went in again for 24-month check, only paid 19.95 for tire rotation.

Short answer: it all depends on the honesty of the dealer. I guess I got lucky twice.

Back