I got charged for what should have been "free"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

Ok, so I've got 7300 miles on my 2015 S and I took it to a dealer (not the one I bought it from) for what in my head was the 7500-mile scheduled maintenance. What I think I said though was, "I want my tires rotated", because that's really all the 'maintenance' that I've ever had done in 2+ years of LEAF ownership. I asked if the multi-point inspection was included (at no charge) and was told yes, it will be "thrown in". I was given a paper to sign and did so without looking closely at it*.

Well, it turns out that there was, or probably was, a price handwritten down (and typed in later) for labor. I was about to leave when I was asked, "So how are you going to pay for that?" I put up a little resistance saying I never paid for that with the first LEAF and he "convinced" me (I was ready to leave and didn't feel like arguing) that the previous one must have had the maintenance plan included. I wasn't positive that it hadn't been (it was not), so I accepted that possibility.

I talked to a knowledgeable acquaintance later who said that no, there should be no charge for scheduled maintenance services. And that's when I realized that I never explicitly said that that's what I came in for.

So,

1. Should I have been charged?
  2. Does the 200 mile difference between 7500 and 7300 hurt or "disqualify" me?
  3. Do I have any recourse?
    • One possible thing going for me on this front is that I never signed the credit card invoice with the charge on it. (I was in my car ready to leave, so I gave him my card and he returned with the receipt, but it was not signed.)
    • Could or should I just tell my bank that I never authorized that charge and decline to pay it? (or will they too charge me a fee for this?!)

I plan to go back to try to resolve it amicably, but any advice is always welcome... (thanks)

ps. Charge was "only" $36, but even it were $5, it's the principle of the thing, no?

* duh, I know, but I thought it was all just a formality for the 7500-mile 'tune-up'...

The battery check should be at no charge, and the multi-point inspection should be at no charge, but if you had them perform any other service on the "severe" or "non-severe" service schedules, that is not free. Examples would be tire rotation, brake fluid, etc...

I'm not sure exactly what work was performed, but $35 doesn't sound unreasonable...

I would have suggested waiting until you have driven 12 full months before returning to the dealer.
Rotating the tires is overrated.... kinda like 3000 mile oil changes. Twice in the life of the tires is plenty.

Done is done. I would let it go.

I suggest that if you are going to be a stickler for getting service 100% free, you make sure upfront that this will be the case, by being careful with your instructions and by checking the paperwork. Not to excuse dealers, but it's in their nature to try to charge you. Don't expect them to be your advocate as well as their own. If you want to use this dealership for service again, don't raise a fuss - $35 isn't what a Ripoff Artist would charge, and this could provide a little leverage in a future charge dispute. If you enjoy finding quarters on the sidewalk and really good coupons (as do I!) remember that we have to work for our savings.

You should be unhappy because you were charged for something that you thought was free. You also should be unhappy because the dealer didn't tell you about the charge until after the work was done. The first could be a misunderstanding, but for the second, it is irresponsible for a service writer to take your car without telling you what you will be charged.

Fortunately, the damage was relatively small this time.

I don't think that periodic tire rotation is necessarily free. That is considered normal maintenance, not warranty service. If anything wears out on your car in the first three years, it will be replaced for free, with the exception of things like tires, wiper blades, and other normal wear items. So technically, I think that they are within rights to charge labor for tire rotation. Their technician did the work and their labor charge for that would not be reimbursed by Nissan.

Others have talked about being charge for tire rotation, too. For examples, see:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19071&p=410910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18844&p=405666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lesson #1: Always ask what you will be charged before signing anything at a dealer.
Lesson #2: Service is a profit center for dealers. They make more money repairing cars than selling them. We worry about the price we pay when we buy a car, because we know that the dealer will try to make as much money as possible on the sale. We need to have the same mindset when we approach the service department. Although they may want you to be happy with your car, in the end, they are judged on profit just like sales.

Bob

Back